Is she gonna kill me?

cjhsa

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:35 am
For years I have always gotten my wife jewelry or something fairly fancy for Christmas. She rarely wears any of it though it is quite nice and I know her likes and dislikes well.

For the past year she's been doing this online "Grocery Game" where she finds all these great deals and matches them up to coupons distributed nationally in newspapers to save, save, save! So, we often have things like 10 packages of breakfast sausage, or 30 tubes of toothpaste, which she got for a nickel or something. Pretty amazing really, and it matches her hoarder mentality. Since it's consumables, I don't get on her about it like I do her penchant for covering every horizontal surface in crap.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting her a Foodsaver for Christmas.

Will I be sleeping in the snow?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,648 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 08:04 am
What is a Foodsaver exactly?

Just by the sound of it, it seems like that should be a "household" expense, and not a Christmas gift, to me, but perhaps it's a fancy kitchen gadget and she'd simply love to have one, but would consider it too extravagant under normal circumstances.

I dunno. Sounds iffy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 08:11 am
hmm...

I dont know many women who enjoy receiving household items as gifts unless they request them. Of course I dont know your wife.. but if you are asking, it is probably wrong.. Laughing

household items meaning, cookwear, appliances etc..

If you get her lots of jewlery and she hardly wears it, try something else.

What about amassage gift certificate?
Maybe good for a few visits..

Or, if she likes alot of stuff everywhere.. maybe you could confine that stuff in a nice display cabinet for her.. ..?
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 08:18 am
Or how about front-row seats for the Hillary Clinton Presidential Coronation Cermony?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:08 am
cjhsa: is a foodsaver that sealer thingy with plastic bags that vacuum-packs stuff? Unless your wife has mentioned it frequently I would avoid it.

Shewolf's suggestion of a display cabinet sounds good. (Keeps all the knickknacks in one place -- you don't say that of course, you tell her you wanted to save her all that dusting!)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:15 am
Tai Chi wrote:
cjhsa: is a foodsaver that sealer thingy with plastic bags that vacuum-packs stuff?

Yeah, I thought it would be a nice compliment to the deer hanging system and the carving knife! Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:22 am
(Honest - I did get her a Foodsaver... but it was only $100... I can afford another gift for her Wink. Just wondering if I need to buy long underwear and a new tent?
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
cjhsa wrote:
(Honest - I did get her a Foodsaver... but it was only $100... I can afford another gift for her Wink. Just wondering if I need to buy long underwear and a new tent?

Start insulating your deer stand Smile
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:17 am
BBB
It appears that you wife is more interested in collecting "things" such as food and decorative doodads than your jewelry gifts. She appears to crave "security things" that give her comfort.

Is she sending you a message you're not getting about your personal relationship and her comfort level? Or are you gifting her with the typical male concept of sexy desirable gifts rather than recognizing what she, as an individual, would like?

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
cjhsa wrote:

buy her a year long membership to match.com. give it to her on your way out the door after she opens that foodsaver.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 10:25 am
Sounds good, cj.

Now, why don't you get her a new apron to go with it?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 11:59 am
I still didn't know what the heck a foodsaver was after reading this, so for anyone else who is similarly clueless:

http://www.foodsaver.com/

I dunno, that looks kind of cool.

About wearing jewelry, though, I have some gorgeous jewelry that I love but that I very rarely wear. I love having it, and I love wearing it when a special occasion does roll around. Not wearing it doesn't necessarily mean not liking/ appreciating it, is what I'm getting at.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:19 pm
You are right to fear her. She is going to kill you. Not because of the Christmas present though. She just thinks you're real annoying.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:28 pm
I also think that this foodsaver is cool.
That would be a great tool to wrap school lunches in.

I wouldn't want one necessarily for christmas though, I'd prefer a personal gift much more.

Give her a 365 page coupon book where you fill in the chores you'll do for her during the year, like cooking, cleaning the house, doing laundry etc.
So every time she doesn't feel like cooking, she'll give you a coupon and
you'll comply. Very Happy
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 01:25 pm
Ummm, I dunno...but then again, I don't know your wife. When my husband gives me something that belongs in the kitchen I just look at it likes its more work.

I'd give it to her, only if...like you mentioned you can go ahead and buy her something else. And I'd only buy it if she'd truly use it, not just put it on display for a month or two and then it disapear under some cabinet somewhere to gather dust.

You mentioned the coupon thingy, and her saving ya'll alot of money...try to find her something to keep that more organized..etc. Something she's mentioned along those lines.....

I liked SheWolf's idea of a knick-nac cabinet.........
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 06:37 pm
I was given a Foodsaver and big supply of the rolls of bags as a gift a few years ago. I bought food (mostly meat) in bulk and then used the Foodsaver to repackage it in smaller quantities for the freezer. Saved a lot of money and was quite happy with it until I ran out of the bags and needed to purchase more of them.

In the long run, you really don't save all that much money when you compare the cost of the bags and the time it takes to repackage them. The costs are about equal if I purchase a quantity of smaller packages.

The difference is that the food stored in the Foodsaver lasts a lot longer without freezer burn than the store package wrap. So, if you tend to store foods for long periods of time, you'll save money using the Foodsaver. If you purchase only a quantity used up in a short time frame, the Foodsaver will cost you more money than needed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 07:20 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
The difference is that the food stored in the Foodsaver lasts a lot longer without freezer burn than the store package wrap.
Quote:

That's mainly due to the thickness of the plastic; it insulates better so the contents never thaw completely in a frost-free refrigerator.

You can get the same results by wrapping the whole thing in newspaper (with a label).

Alternately, you can get a deep freeze, which never warms up.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 07:26 am
I also got her some shearling boots and 3 Lyle Lovett CD/DVD's. Plus some fun stocking stuffers.

How am I doing so far?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 08:54 am
I just have a question about that jewelry. You say it's nice and you say you know what she likes....hmmm....that's what my Ex thought. I never wear any of the jewelry that he bought me, and I do wear jewelry often. But perhaps she just does not wear jewelry much, in which case it might not be the best gift. Does she get to pick it herself?
People are different, though I would agree that foodsaver does not really belong under a christmas tree. Unless she specifically said she wants one.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:09 am
cjhsa wrote:
I also got her some shearling boots and 3 Lyle Lovett CD/DVD's. Plus some fun stocking stuffers.

How am I doing so far?

She'll let you know in a few weeks. :wink: If you still have budget, how about something for her free time? Tickets for two to a show or concert perhaps.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is she gonna kill me?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 10/09/2024 at 08:24:09