How much should shoveling a driveway cost?

McD123

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:19 pm
Over winter break my brother and I are trying to make some extra cash for school...so we thought that maybe a way we could pull in a few extra bucks is to shovel driveways in and around my neighborhood. So I was wondering how much should we charge for shoveling a driveway? Should we charge hourly?

Give me some of your thoughts.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 18,081 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Tico

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:51 pm
Hourly? Well, I guess it depends on how long or large the driveway is. When I had a driveway (single width, 2 car lengths long) $20 seemed the going rate, plus an extra $5 if the street ploughers had piled a mess of ice/snow/muck at the end. It usually took about 20 minutes to do.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 05:15 am
You might want to add in a factor if there's a particularly large amount of snow -- don't want to be paid the same for 2 inches of snow as you would be for 2 feet.

Can you go to Long Island? My folks could use a reliable shoveler. Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:25 am
You would do much better charging flat rate. People might shy away from hourly rates when they do not know the efficiency, or the honesty, of the shoveller.

$20.00 for the average drive seems about right.
0 Replies

moneyman88

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2009 09:34 am
i would say near me 2 or 3 cars can fit on a drive way i would charge 25.00$
0 Replies

TheErrandBoys

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2010 03:41 am
@McD123,
Well, one thing you have to keep in mind is that you actually have to get to the client's driveway first. If your client is 20 miles away, is it worth driving 20 miles in snow, dangerous conditions to shovel a foot of snow for 20.00? It may be worth it if you have 10 other stops along the way but for just one stop...then no! You have to factor in proximity or what area you will cover. Basically each location may need it's own price depending on the geographical area. If Mr. Yates lives 10 miles out in the boonies and state snow plow vehicles don't plow there until much later, then you will have to establish a time frame and extra cost for plowing that individual's driveway. Lots of things to factor in.
0 Replies