A2k's Mental Images

George

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
Oh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:11 pm
Chumly wrote:
A plausible explanation may be that I'm aided (addled?) by an iffy memory, however I prefer to believe it’s simply a product of my magnanimous persona.

So....you're..a..goldfish(question..mark)

Each..trip..round..the..dowl..is..a..new..experience(question..mark)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:21 pm
The rabbit is back in the whole.... :wink:

How do you bounce from thread to thread with constant amnesia, Chumly. We are a collection of personalities, and memory of such is crucial to truly understanding the complexity of the environment...

RH
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:22 pm
Rockhead wrote:
The rabbit is back in the whole.... :wink:

How do you bounce from thread to thread with constant amnesia, Chumly. We are a collection of personalities, and memory of such is crucial to truly understanding the complexity of the environment...

RH

Don't I know you from somewhere?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:28 pm
Chumly wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
what do we think about what, chumly? about your wonderful open mind-edness that is so different from the rest of a2k? :wink:
Smarty-pants!

My post may have been a bit ramblish but I was not trying to elevate myself above anyone else. If I was to do that, it'd shoot for the moon and be a lot more overt (with a decent helping of tongue-in-cheek).

My intent was simply an open question on how others might envision those whom they duologue with over time.

i was just teasing. sorry if it came across wrong. i like chumly... whether it's a prejudice or not.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 11:11 pm
You guys crack me up! Good humors all around!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:12 am
Chumly wrote:
You guys crack me up! Good humors all around!

Please add "good humors" to any preconceptions you may have of me.
Thank you.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:23 pm
Quote:
It seems like many of the regular posters quickly build up perceptions / preconceptions / generalizations about other posters and then respond to them within that given bias.

I think I'm probably guilty of that. I think once you've been on a message board for a while, you get to know the personalities of some of the posters -- or, at least, you develop a perception of what their personality is like -- whether it's accurate or not.

It can color the way you perceive their posts. I even imagine what I think they sound like when I'm reading their posts. I imagine a "voice" for them.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 09:34 pm
I too wonder how accurate all that really is!

Even in face to face I sometimes find myself wondering "what's behind the mask".

Sometimes I think perhaps Halloween allows us to be more ourselves by covering up, maybe Batman was not covering up so much as he was projecting his inner-self.

I wonder if a message board not only allows one to generate a false persona but also perhaps to more safely project your true inner-self, thus be who you really are - if there is such a viable concept as "who you really are".
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 10:23 pm
Yes, and even if you are projecting who you "really are," there's no guarantee that people are "reading" it that way. Some people may not get your humor, for instance. We also don't have the chance to pick up on things like the nuances in the voice or body language or facial expressions.

So, I think you develop a certain persona that is probably accurate in some ways, but not completely accurate.

I think this is why they say it's better for people on dating sites to get together as soon as possible -- instead of carrying on a "correspondence" over the internet. People tend to fill in the blanks, and they may start imagining someone who is very different from the person you actually are!
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 09:19:56