A2k's Mental Images

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 04:25 pm
It seems like many of the regular posters quickly build up perceptions / preconceptions / generalizations about other posters and then respond to them within that given bias.

Whereas I (and maybe others like me?) am more inclined to simply take each post on its own merits (or lack thereof) and not concern myself so much with any perceptions / preconceptions / generalizations of the individual poster.

That's not so say I'm immune to the different poster's stylings, but it seems my general mindset when logged onto A2K is not so particularized.

What'cha think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:35 pm
People vary. A2k thrives on variance, but also on the times some of us agree, and then disagree, and then re-coalesce.

It's like a batch of amoebae.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:40 pm
what do we think about what, chumly? about your wonderful open mind-edness that is so different from the rest of a2k? :wink:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:08 pm
I know what your saying. I've seen a few posts recently that have made me say "Whoa!" and kind of take a step back from the computer.

I'm not always successfull but I do try not to drag things from thread to thread -- unless they're funny things that someone has said or referred to and then I think it's okay.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:25 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
what do we think about what, chumly? about your wonderful open mind-edness that is so different from the rest of a2k? :wink:
Smarty-pants!

My post may have been a bit ramblish but I was not trying to elevate myself above anyone else. If I was to do that, it'd shoot for the moon and be a lot more overt (with a decent helping of tongue-in-cheek).

My intent was simply an open question on how others might envision those whom they duologue with over time.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:26 pm
ossobuco wrote:
People vary. A2k thrives on variance, but also on the times some of us agree, and then disagree, and then re-coalesce.

It's like a batch of amoebae.
Yeah I like that!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 06:38 pm
You mean you're not surrounded by lightning?????

= 8 -< (
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:02 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'm not always successfull but I do try not to drag things from thread to thread
Sure! And I'm aided (addled?) by an iffy memory so I have an instant leg up! Hey I said "duologue" earlier in the spell check liked it!

du·o·logue (d-lôg, -lg, dy-)
n.
A dialogue or conversation between two persons
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 07:15 pm
OK, wait up, it's amoebae versus paramecia...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:51 pm
dlowan wrote:

= 8 -< (
I do get extra sparkly when I see your ears!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:10 pm
I have no interest in a Ground Hog Day approach to real or virtual life.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
After all the coalescing, lightning, duologues, amoebae, and paramecia you must forgive if I am not sure exactly what you mean by a Ground Hog Day approach to real or virtual life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:27 pm
Given that it's St. Nicholas Day, you're forgiven.
0 Replies

nimh

I think it's kind of a natural thing. It's the same way in real life after all. If that annoying colleague of yours who's always a royal pain in the ass approaches you, you stiffen up a bit and might respond less jovially than you would to that charming girl from down the hall, even if it turns out that he just came to ask for a pen. Human nature - and such filtering/screening reflexes do have their functions, of course.
0 Replies

nimh

ehBeth wrote:
I have no interest in a Ground Hog Day approach to real or virtual life.

Right, like that. <nods>
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:35 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Given that it's St. Nicholas Day, you're forgiven.
I am trying to figure out what you mean, but my ethnic origin is Jewish so perhaps I lack the correct heritage to understand your reference?

Oh wait, is the Ground Hog Day approach sort'a like poking your figurative head out to see of the posting weather is favorable?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:52 pm
Ground Hog Day as a metaphor for inability/unwillingness to learn.

Quote:
following St. Nicholas' example of caring for the most defenseless.

December 6 - St. Nicholas Day
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 09:55 pm
Re: A2k's Mental Images
Chumly wrote:
...Whereas I (and maybe others like me?) am more inclined to simply take each post on its own merits (or lack thereof) and not concern myself so much with any perceptions / preconceptions / generalizations of the individual poster...

I don't know how you manage that. Remarkable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:02 pm
A plausible explanation may be that I'm aided (addled?) by an iffy memory, however I prefer to believe it's simply a product of my magnanimous persona.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
Chumly wrote:
dlowan wrote:

= 8 -< (
I do get extra sparkly when I see your ears!

Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed :wink:

(Fans..self....)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » A2k's Mental Images
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 09:26:52