Ho-Ho-Ho not politically correct?

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 04:16 pm
Oh brother! Here we go again! Rolling Eyes Mad

Quote:
Santa Claus gets the old heave ho

December 06 2007 at 03:32AM

Sydney - A Santa Claus working in an Australian department store has been sacked for singing Jingle Bells and defying a ban on the traditional ho-ho-ho Christmas greeting.

John Oakes said on Wednesday he was told not to come to work at the Myer store in the Queensland town of Cairns by a manager with agency employer Westaff because he had broken company rules.

"I hadn't done anything wrong so I asked her why, and she said, 'You said ho-ho-ho' and that's not appropriate," Oakes, 70, told the Cairns Post newspaper.

"She also said I wasn't supposed to sing, but I was only singing Jingle Bells to get the kids to laugh for their photo," he added. "It's just ridiculous, and everything's changed because of the new rules."

US-based Westaff rebutted claims it had ordered its 550 Australian Santas to bellow ha-ha-ha rather than ho-ho-ho because women could take offence and children could be frightened.

Ho, ghetto slang for prostitute, is a pejorative term in the United States.

Westaff spokesperson Glen Jansz said Oakes was fired because of his attitude and not his greetings or his singing.

"Westaff made a decision not to utilise the candidate in question for any future Santa assignments because the candidate's attitude was not in line with the requirements and expectations of our client and of their customers," Jansz said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 670 • Replies: 10
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:32 pm
In other news, employees now can no longer say ~
hold
hope
hose
Hoboken
hokey pokey

These words have been replaced with ~
fondle
despair
stockings
Jersey City
lambada

Details at 11.

PS Man, that's absurd. Oh, and I love the new av, Reyn.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 05:34 pm
Me too, also Jespah's retort.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
Quote:
"Westaff made a decision not to utilise the candidate in question for any future Santa assignments because the candidate's attitude was not in line with the requirements and expectations of our client and of their customers," Jansz said.

Sad that the real client is the children of the world who expect Santa Claus to say ho-ho-ho and to be a jolly and loving person.

The world is changing......and not for the better. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:30 pm
Screw 'em. I believe in Santa Claus, the one that says Ho ho ho.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:49 pm
jespah wrote:
These words have been replaced with ~
fondle
despair
stockings
Jersey City
lambada

Details at 11.

PS Man, that's absurd. Oh, and I love the new av, Reyn.

Jes, nice comparison list! sadly, quite true.

As for the avatar, I don't seem to ever find just the right one. I think it depends on my current mood.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:51 pm
I hope you aren't sad at the moment.

Ho Ho Ho......Merry Christmas! Very Happy
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:52 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Me too, also Jespah's retort.

Yup, the world's gone to hell in a handbasket!

Intrepid wrote:
Sad that the real client is the children of the world who expect Santa Claus to say ho-ho-ho and to be a jolly and loving person.

Exactly! Too bad, spoils it for the kids who would never think of the politically incorrect implications to begin with.

edgarblythe wrote:
Screw 'em. I believe in Santa Claus, the one that says Ho ho ho.

You said it, Edgar! Let's laugh all the way ho-ho-home! Laughing
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 08:54 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I hope you aren't sad at the moment.

Ho Ho Ho......Merry Christmas! Very Happy

Well, I am feeling somewhat intrepid at the moment ( Laughing ) if you read my Chat With Reyn thread a few posts further up.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:58 am
Reyn, my daughter tells me that Dr. Seuss has a new book out. It's called Horton finds a ho. Razz
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 08:52 am
Letty wrote:
Reyn, my daughter tells me that Dr. Seuss has a new book out. It's called Horton finds a ho. Razz

Shocked Shocked Shocked Oh, noooooooooooo! The horror of it all! Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ho-Ho-Ho not politically correct?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 12:23:06