Spin Off: Do you Regift and if so, do you feel guilty?

jespah

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 11:57 am
The sandwich makers were kind of a poor man's version of a panini press. This was in 1992 and so they were not well made. The gold standard was the George Foreman grill and we got just some generic versions of it. Macy's and other department stores were really touting them at the time but they were the last thing I wanted. We had a fairly small apartment and were looking to eventually move here, so I didn't want anything that we couldn't use. Those makers were just so much ballast.

Plus, we barely had two nickels to rub together, and a lot of our social circle was getting married. Hence the regifting. And they probably regifted, too. And so it goes.

Even today, with a large house, I still wouldn't want one, even a high-end panini press, as I just don't have the counter space. I've really weaned myself off countertop gadgets -- all we have on the counter is the slow cooker, the toaster oven and the microwave (we have a tiny French coffee press which fits in a cabinet, plus a stand mixer for another cabinet, and a hand blender. I believe that that's all of it) -- and have followed Alton Brown's advice to go with multitaskers as much as possible. Hence if I really wanted a panini I would make one on the stove and would do the pressing with one of my pan lids. I suspect I'd return or regift any other countertop gadget.

The wine thing makes a lot of sense to me, too. What if someone bought me some sort of food I was allergic to? Or gave wine to a recovering alcoholic? These things happen, due to ignorance, insensitivity or just people making a mistake. That stuff has to go somewhere. Better to someone else than to the trash.

Then there's the Yankee swap ...
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:14 pm
What's swapped in the Yankee swap? Partners?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:36 am
Ah, a Yankee Swap is where you exchange nominally-priced gifts but, oh wait, here are the rules:

http://www.yankee-swap.net/yankee_swap_rules_official.PDF
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 10:39 am
I once regifted a case of the clap I got from a WAVE in Charleston SC... but that was back in the late 70's.

Seriously I'm like Bella. I like and appreciate anything someone thought about me to give me and would never regift. It's the thought that counts as the saying goes.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:09 am
jespah wrote:
have followed Alton Brown's advice to go with multitaskers as much as possible.

s'funny - my equivalent of the sandwich maker is a multi-tasker for me (it's a waffle iron with a series of interchangeable plates) - I couldn't imagine the kitchen without it. The coffee maker gave up its spot on the counter for it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:14 am
I frequently pass on gifts I've been given, but "regifting" is an alien concept.

Examples:

A cousin gave me a Bible Study Guide. (She is very distressed by my agnosticism.) I passed the Bible Study Guide along to my d-i-l, a bred-in-the-bone Catholic, who was working for a Protestant do-gooding organization so that she could salt her inspirational talks with chapter and verse.

A stepson gave us a decorated Barbie-type Doll designed to conceal an extra roll of toilet paper. When a neighbor admired it, I passed it on.

A stepson gave us a commercial gift box of processed cheeses. I made macaroni and cheese with what I could and passed the rest on to a neighbor who likes processed cheese.

I regard myself as a way-station and redistribution center rather than a doomed recipient.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 11:34 am
jespah wrote:
Ah, a Yankee Swap is where you exchange nominally-priced gifts but, oh wait, here are the rules:

http://www.yankee-swap.net/yankee_swap_rules_official.PDF

Oh yes, we've done that at work... just didn't know what it was called.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:49:26