Suggestions, Please? (From 60's/70's era)

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:36 pm
Hi again...

I am DJ'ing a local car show this year. (A small-time deal, 20 cars maybe.) Anyway, it's a muscle car theme this year. I need some suggestions (quite a few, actually) for songs that fit the idiom; late 60's - early 70's, hard rock/acid rock. Basically stuff with a "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" or "Heavy Metal, The Movie" feel to it.

I'm not old enough to remember the era... Sad

Thanks! Very Happy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,665 • Replies: 23
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:00 pm
Born to be Wild: Steppenwolf
Hush: Deep Purple
Whole Lotta Love: Led Zeppelin
Sunshine of Your Love: Cream
Machine Gun: Jimi Hendrix
Paranoia: Black Sabbath
Kick Out the Jams: MC5
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:33 pm
Car, Drivin' songs: Drivin' beat:

Radar Love by ?
Free Bird-Lynard Skynard
Missippi Queen/Mountain
Born to Be Wild/Steppenwolf
The Pusher/ Steppenwolf
LA Woman/Doors
American Woman/Guess Who
Brown Sugar/Stones
Honkey Tonk Woman/Stones
Barracuda/Heart
Don't Fear the Reaper/Blue Oyster Cult
We're An American Band/Grand Funk Railroad
Slow Ride/Foghat
Statesbourough Blues/Allman Bros.
Time/Chambers Bros
Even It up/Heart
Magic Carpet Ride/Steppenwolf
Blue Cheer/Summertime Blues
On the Road Again/Canned Heat
Frankenstien/Edgar Winter

Enough Already and what fbaezer said!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
I'm Your Captain/Grand Funk Railroad
Keep on Chooglin/Credence Clearwater Revival

I can't stop!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
Good Vibrations/The Beach Boys
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 07:36 pm
Since you're not old enough, I'd be really interested in your feedback if you listen to any of these!
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:36 pm
What a list! Thanks!

A good start, looks like 3 or so hours worth.

I'm familiar with a few of these bands; Zeppelin & Sabbath at least. I play guitar in a garage band, mostly stuff like metallica. If this stuff has 'lectric guitar in it, I'll probably like it! Very Happy I like Pink Floyd, but they don't have much music fitting a Rod Run...

I'll get to looking this stuff up right away, will be sure to let you know what I think, fealola. Thanks!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:41 pm
Most are guitar driven songs Harmonic! Some are great, some are corny but seem to fit the theme. This should keep you busy and entertained.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:47 pm
Damn, those are all good picks! Great work you guys. Now can someone put all those files on a 2 CD set and I'll do the voice overs......

"YES, you get all these great hits..... and there's more, more more.!!

(Sound uP)

Cool
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:41 pm
And Flick your Bic!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:49 pm
Cool Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:57 pm
Too funny Joe. I just looked at your avatar! Duh! Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:38 pm
Jimi Hendrix- All Along the Watchtower, Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, Manic Depression, any other..you can't go wrong

T Rex - Jeepster (at least), Bang a Gong

Cream - Sunshine of Your Love, Strange Brew (for starters)

MC 5 - Rocket Reducer No. 62

The Who - Behind Blue Eyes, Going Mobile, I Can See For Miles, Won't Get Fooled Again...

Queen - Keep Yourself Alive

Procol Harum - Conquistador, Whiter Shade of Pale, Salty Dog

I'll think of some more later.
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:14 am
Fealola:

Well whadda ya know! Turns out I know a lot of these tunes, just didn't know the titles or bands. I love Foghat! Downloaded a few more songs by them from the Fool for the City album. Terraplane Blues blows me away - best slide guitar work I've ever heard!

I also liked Steppenwolf, Mountain, The Doors, Rolling Stones and Cream.

Not sure about how I like the others... but they're certainly what I need for the show.

You might get a real kick out of this... I got some tablature for Mississippi Queen from harmony-central.com, and learned how to play that short little Lead guitar intro. I'm having all kinds of fun with that! It impressed the livin' crap out of my friends!

BTW, I couldn't find any more songs be Mountain... were they just a "one hit wonder" or something?

Thanks to all of you who posted!
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:31 am
Harmonic,

I'm so glad for the feedback. You're right that some of the stuff isn't as good as the others, but they were popular and I thought fit the mood.

I think Missisippi Queen was Mountains only big hit. They weren't together very long I believe. I think they were a super group made up of well known players. You can find out more if you google Felix Papallardi, the leader.

I was really interested in hearing back from you. In these people paved the way for the metal bands we listen to today. I don't think alot of younger fans get that. It's very different from bands like Metallica, alot more earthy, but if your going to play, it's good to know the roots.

If you like Mountain and such, you should check out a band called Ten Years After, with guitarist Alvin Lee. If you've ever seen Woodstock, they do the song "I'm Goin' Home" ---un-believable. (I don't want to sound like I'm one of those "stuck in the sixties" people. I still like hard rock- even alot of current stuff)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 11:57 am
You gotta have Sammy Hagar's "I Can't Drive 55"...
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:09 pm
Thanks. I like to think that I "get it" - I'm from a pretty musical family, there are actually quite a few musicians going up both my mom and dad's bloodlines. My brother and I both play guitar & drums, I can play a few notes on piano and violin as well. The talent skipped my mom and dad for some reason, but I have several aunts, uncles, and all my grandparents play intruments and/or sing well.

I've always tried to know something about the roots of what I play, but it's tough with my parents not being very musical. I have to pick up knowledge from that era through TV or books, or people like you. I do know the 80's quite well, though. (I was born in '73) I grew up with the 80's "thrash" metal, 'Tallica, Megadeth, Slayer, ect. There was a lot of anger in the youth culture - and I'm sure there was a lot of anger in the late 60's too, but the anger that I grew up with didn't seem to have any social/politicalness to it. We were just angry for no reason, and the music reflects that.

One thought I have, might be that it was the end of the cold war that fueled the anger of my youth. My generation are the youngest who remember that - nuclear drills in elementary school. And we had no idea why, or what the cause of the hostillity could have been. We weren't old enough to know any of that. Missunderstanding all that I think made us a little cold inside, angry because we were afraid of something we had nothing to do with.

And of course, today, the elementary school kids are experiencing something quite similar, only it's the Middle East instead of the Russians being the source of the hostillity. Funny how cyclical history is, huh?

No, it's not funny. It's sad.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 12:22 pm
I had no idea nuclear drills were still being done when you were growing up!

People in the sixties were angry about the war and racism. In your generation, the anger, stems from a more personal frustration, I think. When you were growing, our economy was going down, cities were shutting down, aids came in--sex, drugs and rock and roll were not "fun" anymore, etc.

In the sixties music, we celebrated life along right along with the political and social dissention. It was happier music.

I think the anger in the music today is expressed in a much more realistic way, lyrically and musically. Although there seems to be more of a "hippie" faction coming in with some groups and with some of the electronica, or techno stuff.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 05:14 pm
As fealola wrote, Ten Years After is a must.

"Good Morning, Little School Girl", would be a good complement to the song list.

Another important group of that time and style is Spooky Tooth, although it's not so optimistic.
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 02:53 am
Thanks y'all! It was a great time. Lots of cool rods from the 70's, but still a lot of older cars, an old salmon colored T-bird won best of show. The music worked out great!. I burned most everything suggested, along with the common car show staples.

And I gotta say- fbaezer, I owe you big time. Machine Gun by Hendrix is just devastating!!! I am stuck on this song like nothing ever before. Can't get enough of it. I found a live version of it by accident- The bass line is the most hypnotic sound I've ever heard, it holds me in suspended animation. Hendrix's lead work is just out of this world. This re-defines everything I thought I knew about electric guitar. I have listened to nothing but this song for 6 days straight now... don't ever want it to end.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Wow.
0 Replies