Question relating "The Importance of Being Earnest"

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 09:50 pm
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has read Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Ernest", and if so how would you interpret the following topic for an essay:
"Discuss Wilde's attitude toward the "turth" in The Importance of Being Earnest"

I was just wondering what the "truth" would refer to. I have several ideas which are really confusing myself at the moment.

Please help me!
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 417 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 12:15 am
I love the play, but have not read it for a while....

Why don't you start with your ideas, and we can likely help you clarify and build on them.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 01:38 am
barbie princess.

As a general rule we don't do homework. I merely point out (without being a student of literature) that a Google search on "Oscar Wilde Truth" immediately yielded this:

Quote:
The truth is rarely pure and never simple.
Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest, 1895, Act I
Irish dramatist, novelist, & poet (1854 - 1900)

......and there were other Wilde quotes as well.

Your homework does not therefore appear to be too difficult to tackle.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 07:40 am
Think about how the characters use untruths to get their way.

That's the fun of watching this play. We in the audience know who is fibbing to who about what and we are waiting to see who gets caught in an untruth.

Look up Bunbury.

Joe(If it wasn't for Bunbury's extraordinary bad health, for instance, I wouldn't be able to dine with you at Willis's to-night.")Nation
0 Replies