What do you become when you are overworked/had enough?

Gala

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:03 am
I become a bully. If I were a dog you'd see my lip curling, teeth exposed, growling. Leave me alone, don't mess with me and most of all don't b****s*** with me.

It's not pretty and it feels like it will never end. The best part is when all the hostility starts loosening its grip...and I feel human again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,257 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:36 am
Gala--

Interesting question.

I can run for a long time on pure adrenaline, but eventually I crash. Left to myself I'd curl up under the bed in fetal position, oblivious of the dust woollies.

Usually this is impossible, so I move through the long, long minutes of my days on auto-pilot relying on well-honed practical precedents and the rules of etiquette.

When pushed to hard, I'll snap. Unfortunately when I let loose I can remember every single insult that has been festering and I can think of every single word that describes my rage and disgust.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:49 am
I become rather vague & disorganized when too stretched & tend to lose my keys a lot! :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:51 am
I become a serial killer.... but I'm really clever and have never been caught...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:18 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Gala--

Interesting question.

I can run for a long time on pure adrenaline, but eventually I crash. Left to myself I'd curl up under the bed in fetal position, oblivious of the dust woollies.

Usually this is impossible, so I move through the long, long minutes of my days on auto-pilot relying on well-honed practical precedents and the rules of etiquette.

When pushed to hard, I'll snap. Unfortunately when I let loose I can remember every single insult that has been festering and I can think of every single word that describes my rage and disgust.

Yep. I know what you're saying. Those well-honed execution of practical habits/precedents and etiquette go a long way toward maintaining some civility-- the day-to-day-moment-to-moment steps, which ensure some order; remembering to take my Metro pass and work ID out of my pocket and into my pouch the moment I get off the subway so I can just grab it the next morning, saying hello to the guy who hands out the newspapers at the Metro stop, preparing food for the day's work ahead, making lists in my small daily planner (even if it means reminding myself of something as vague as "pay bills.")

But...sometimes, all that list making, laundry-doing, appointment-making, being on the ball, witty, clever, ha, ha, ha-ness gets uncontrollably, involuntarily pushed aside for some kind of surly Back-Off! or you will pay personality that needs to assert itself. I figure it has everything to do with to many demands put on our time, too much clock-watching, not enough time spent just humming along with no plans or cares...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 08:21 am
msolga wrote:
I become rather vague & disorganized when too stretched & tend to lose my keys a lot! :wink:

I wish I would become vague instead of becoming volcanic. When you say losing your keys-- do you mean misplacing them, and then you are left to turn the place upside down till you discover they were in your purse all along? Or do you mean losing Losing them, where you end up having to get them replaced?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:02 pm
Gala wrote:
msolga wrote:

I wish I would become vague instead of becoming volcanic. When you say losing your keys-- do you mean misplacing them, and then you are left to turn the place upside down till you discover they were in your purse all along? Or do you mean losing Losing them, where you end up having to get them replaced?

I mean I misplace things, Gala, & find myself combing over my last 50 steps to track down the missing object (not just keys!).
I've learned that if I lose my keys (or my sun glasses, or ....) more than twice in a day, that I MUST slow down .... & make a list of what needs doing rather than continue doing do things at once.
... & to stop looking for the lost whatever (because it will not be found!) ... & just be content to know it's here, somewhere & will materialize when I don't need it! :wink:
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 07:07 pm
I become short. Sometimes that works for me rather than against me. And sleepy.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 09:27 pm
I tend to thrive on it.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:32 am
msolga wrote:
Gala wrote:
msolga wrote:

I mean I misplace things, Gala, & find myself combing over my last 50 steps to track down the missing object (not just keys!).
I've learned that if I lose my keys (or my sun glasses, or ....) more than twice in a day, that I MUST slow down .... & make a list of what needs doing rather than continue doing do things at once.
... & to stop looking for the lost whatever (because it will not be found!) ... & just be content to know it's here, somewhere & will materialize when I don't need it! :wink:

Ah. I see. Same. Items always materialize when I stop thinking about them. I have this beloved pair of sunglasses which I thought I'd lost. So I went and bought a new pair, which were inferior to the old one's and looked pretty dumb. Then, while fishing around my car for something else I'd lost, I found the beloved glasses-- exactly where I'd absent-mindedly left them.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:34 am
littlek wrote:
I become short. Sometimes that works for me rather than against me. And sleepy.

You mean you lose inches, as in height?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 06:36 am
2PacksAday wrote:
I tend to thrive on it.

Okay, I have questions- if you're stressed out and reaching your patience limit, how are you treating other people? Are you puffing down 2 packs a day?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Wed 21 Nov, 2007 09:39 pm
I am a quiet man, I simply become quieter...more focused on the work...at times I have a very tedious job, luckily I am a detail orientated person....jigsaw puzzles, and various miniatures....building HO scale military vehicles/dioramas as well tinkering with my trains have been passions of mine.

But, when I am pushed to my limit...which is quite high, my hatred of "noise" doubles then triples...commercial construction sites are full of noise, jackhammers, paint sprayers, power washers..etc. I usually get around this by going outside often, and also by working late and on the weekends when nobody is around but me.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:15 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
I am a quiet man, I simply become quieter...more focused on the work...at times I have a very tedious job, luckily I am a detail orientated person....jigsaw puzzles, and various miniatures....building HO scale military vehicles/dioramas as well tinkering with my trains have been passions of mine.

But, when I am pushed to my limit...which is quite high, my hatred of "noise" doubles then triples...commercial construction sites are full of noise, jackhammers, paint sprayers, power washers..etc. I usually get around this by going outside often, and also by working late and on the weekends when nobody is around but me.

Eeesh. I'm impressed. If I were to get quieter every time I got angry I would be a mute.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 12:55 pm
Hmm...well I guess when the caffeine wear's off, I simply crash. Nothing like some rest to re-fuel the engine. I think some R&R is the solution all the time. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 01:12 pm
I become a big crybaby.

Really, silly little things will make me cry while I appear to be holding all the big stuff together.

This is a pretty new thing for me as I've never been an overly emotional person but I've learned that a good cry helps me relax.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:10 pm
foodGobbler wrote:
Hmm...well I guess when the caffeine wear's off, I simply crash. Nothing like some rest to re-fuel the engine. I think some R&R is the solution all the time. Very Happy

I agree. Caffeine keeps me civil, but a nap is truly divine. Preferably, the all day nap-- where you have no where to be and all the chores are done. I did this last Sunday. My only requirement was I could not leave the house. Ergo, I stayed in my jammies, napped, snacked, read, puttered and when that proved to be too much I napped again.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:14 pm
boomerang wrote:
I become a big crybaby.

Really, silly little things will make me cry while I appear to be holding all the big stuff together.

This is a pretty new thing for me as I've never been an overly emotional person but I've learned that a good cry helps me relax.

Here, here. When I was younger I didn't cry much. Now, it's the opposite and boy, it really does relieve a lot of tension. It's preferable, for the sake of others to cry alone, but sometimes it doesn't happen this way and it's quite telling to see how people react. It makes most people uncomfortable, hostile even. They've been taught to not show any signs of vulnerability. I say to hell with that.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:19 pm
Here's the deal.

I start growing hair on the back of my hands.

I develop long yellow fangs.

And if it's the full moon, watch out.
0 Replies

foodGobbler

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 12:13 pm
Gala wrote:
I agree. Caffeine keeps me civil, but a nap is truly divine. Preferably, the all day nap-- where you have no where to be and all the chores are done. I did this last Sunday. My only requirement was I could not leave the house. Ergo, I stayed in my jammies, napped, snacked, read, puttered and when that proved to be too much I napped again.

Haha, that sounds like a perfect R&R day to me. I think I'm due for one soon. After it's over, do it all over a again...vicious cycle I tell you!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What do you become when you are overworked/had enough?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 07:44:54