"My Lobotomy"

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:31 am
Has anyone else read this book? Oh my what a story!

Here's a link to an NPR story about the man behind the book: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5014080.

I would love to listen but my computer doesn't have a sound card. If you get a chance to listen I'd love to hear what you think!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 621 • Replies: 3
No top replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
The audio is basically what is written in the article. Very interesting topic.
I'm not sure how I feel about this though. I have a sister who had a closed head injury, most likely frontal, and it's sad to see how different her personality is.

I can understand though, that some of these parents were desperately seeking any solution to their child behavioral problems. Not being in their shoes, I can't say exactly what I'd choose to do but I couldn't see someone sticking an icepick into my childs head. Seems barbaric.

Were some of these kids autistic to a certain extent? I'm still listening as I'm typing, the audio does go further than the article.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 11:45 am
It sounds like the stepmother just wasn't interested in being a mother. Sad!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 12:18 pm
I'm only about halfway through the book.

It seems like his stepmother didn't want to be a mother to him and his father didn't care one way or the other.

He seems to be pretty honest about himself -- he was a bit of a troublemaker, but nothing too serious.

His stepmom had talked to several psychiatrists who all thought she was the problem. Then she found this Dr. Freeman....

The book reproduces a lot of the doctors transcripts and they are simply stunning to read.
0 Replies