Smuggling Question, Is It Worth The Risk?

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:05 am
I am considering taking a day trip over to the British Virgin Islands and purchasing some Cuban cigars for my dad for Christmas. If I take the bands off of the cigars, would I be able to sneak them into my checked bag without much trouble? Does anyone know the penalty if I am busted? Willing to take the risk if the fine is minimal, but absolutely not if imprisonment is involved. Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Islandgirl
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,336 • Replies: 19
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:51 am
Interesting question. Sorry, but I can't help you. I'm just bumping up your thread so somebody with knowledge might see it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:14 am
It's funny that Cuban cigars became illegal during the Kennedy administration and yet he himself smoked them and stockpiled before the embargo. (pre-embargo cigars were/are legal to smoke, though I have no idea how they knew)

Quote:
Cuban Assets Control Regulations, 31 C.F.R. Part 515, (Revised September 30, 2004) are administered and enforced by the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations can go as high as $1 million for corporations, and $250,000 for individuals plus up to 10 years in prison. In addition, civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation can be imposed by OFAC.

Though I doubt they are gonna throw you in jail for a few lously cigars.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:16 am
I sent this thread to the cigar smoker.

He should weigh in shortly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:32 am
I brought a bunch back from Canada and was totally shocked about what all the hollering was about. They tasted like creosote and I actually felt nauseated after smoking one.

When I smoked cigars I liked a mild taste like a la Flor Dominicana. torpedo. Thatnwas a smooth tasting less of a "punch in the face' and the women didnt mind it as much.

A Cuban cigar smelled and tasted like a burning telephone pole
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:35 am
Cuban cigars are illegal???

WTF?

Why???
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:35 am
"take a glass of water,
make it against the law,
see how good the water tastes
when you can't have any at all"
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 12:36 pm
farmerman wrote:
I brought a bunch back from Canada and was totally shocked about what all the hollering was about. They tasted like creosote and I actually felt nauseated after smoking one.

When I smoked cigars I liked a mild taste like a la Flor Dominicana. torpedo. Thatnwas a smooth tasting less of a "punch in the face' and the women didnt mind it as much.

A Cuban cigar smelled and tasted like a burning telephone pole

It all depends on what Cuban cigars you buy, since there are mild, medium .... up to the stuff you described, farmerman.

Same with the price - the cheapest mild, a Piedra Cremas, costs less than $2 one up to $55 for a strong Montecristo "A".

German cigarmakers use Cuban tobacco for their cigars in quite a lot of brands.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
I had a Montecristo and it wasnt 55$ (but that was back in 1995).
It was about 35$ canadian which was about 0.75% less US.

Blechh.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:07 pm
Well, you get Montecistos from ... (online) $12 onwards. (The above mentioned price is for an "A" cigar: totally, completely handmade.)

[For imported Cuban cigars that is]
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:16 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:

WTF?

Why???

Cuz the U.S. hates Castro.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:21 pm
Dorothy Parker wrote:

WTF?

Why???

Castro came to power, got into cahoots with the Soviet Union and Kennedy extended the trade embargo against Cuban goods, cutting off a good portion of their revenue from Americans.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:22 pm
Thanks for the input everyone. Now my question is, which is the best Cuban cigar?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:22 pm
I've been told that Cubans aren't even the best. That the Dominican ones are better.

And it depends on what kind of smoke he likes. Full bodied, medium bodied...there are a lot of different kinds.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 02:48 pm
i'm not a smoker ...
cuban cigars can bebought in canada . when U.S. filmstars are shooting in toronto they often buy cuban cigars there . "we'll smoke them only here in canada " , they usually say when a photographer spots them :wink:

recently THE GUBERNATOR was visiting in ottawa and some pix of him buying cuban cigars wound up on the front pages of local newspapers . he had no comment to make when asked Laughing
hbg

Quote:
Associated Press
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger fired up a stogie during his trip to Canada this week, but did he break U.S. law to do it?

The celebrity governor known for his love of premium cigars was headed to the Ottawa airport Wednesday when his motorcade made a detour to a hotel. There, Schwarzenegger picked up a Cuban Partagas cigar in a shop, with the $14.83 bill paid by an aide traveling with him, the Ottawa Citizen newspaper reported.

Under trade restrictions, U.S. citizens are prohibited from buying Cuban cigars anywhere in the world.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:44 pm
I think they are prohibited from smoking them anywhere too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:07 pm
Quote:
I think they are prohibited from smoking them anywhere too.

as long as you don't "inhale" :wink: , you are not breaking the law , i assume !
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:22 pm
It depends, islandgirl. What kind does your dad smoke at home or his leisure? There are many different manufacturers in Cuba, and they all have different sizes. Look for Cohiba, H. Upmann , Hoyo de Monterrey and Partagas. All well known for high quality and craftmanship. For size, I'd guess something about 5 inches long, after dinner smokes a bit longer and relatively wide. For the daily pleasure: a cigarillo.
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 05:38 pm
Thanks Bigdice, I think that I will buy a selection of cigars for him. I don't want to ruin the surprise.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:02 pm
OOO, I love a surprise.

Give or take a vowel, a Count of Monte Christo could fit the bill.

On vice versa regal occasions with denial and apology.

Always remember cigar smokers suck.

Aficionado. Muchly.
0 Replies