Hiding myself

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:15 pm
I have an advertisement on the back of my car for my photography business.
I don't live in the best area of town, but it is quiet and relatively safe.

None the less, I have over the past year thought about getting home security of some kind as some of my neighbors are less then desirable.

It never crossed my mind that some of my neighbors would want my services. Frankly, they are not my 'target'. And I would not think they would want to afford a photographer living in places like these.

So, I get a call from someone who identifies himself as a neighbor asking about a photosession for his family.
He is serious, and isn't fishing for a discount or anything else..

I just got REALLY creeped out. I realized that, if I tell someone here what I charge for a session, they may talk about it to someone else.
This little 4 block area is full of "friends".

Our resident pot dealer talks with almost everyone.
Everyone is dating someone new in this area every day.
Basically..everyone knows almost everyone else.

And without sounding like a snot, they are all poor with kids that have pants hanging around their ankles and selling little , easily stolen things all day.

I don't know that I want to tell this man how much I charge for a session.
We do not make that much money. But to someone else , they may hear that amount and think WE DO and we could become a target.

Am I paranoid? Maybe.
But I have to think about these things.

What should I do?

I can not ignore the man. I know who he is, and I have talked to him in passing before.
I don't want to tell him my real price .. I don't want to bring unwanted attention. But I cant say its free either.

It has crossed my mind to say something like 30 dollars, or 40 dollars.

but then I could be setting myself up for having the entire neighborhood at my door for a real cheap price like that..

Maybe I am over thinking this.. and I might be paranoid but remember, I live in a neighborhood filled with child molesters and other 'outcasts' because most of the land owners and property owners here don't care about their tenants. They just care about getting rent money.

(sigh)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 29
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:17 pm
What a pickle!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:21 pm
can't you say something about being booked for the next three months...or not working in this area or some other white lie so that you can avoid this one session? you may even recommend someone else to him so that you don't just turn him down?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:24 pm
Hmm.. I dont know anyone else to refer him to, but it never crossed my mind to say Im booked..

talk about a no brainer.. HA
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
Okay, but be prepared to say you are advertising.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:45 pm
OK I'm Pollyanna when it comes to people and I'm sure one day it will bite me in the butt, but I think you should do it. If you're advertising what you do, the neighborhood already knows you have an apartment full of photography equipment and make some money from it. I think you would be a bigger target if the neighborhood thugs thought you were a drug dealer. The locals also probably know that people who have money don't chose live in their run down community.

However, you might want to say to the man (in a nice way) "do you have a budget in mind?". That way you can scale your services to his ability to pay. Nothing wrong with giving a poor guy a little discount, as long as you don't lose money on the deal. Obviously, if he says 20 bucks you have to be honest and tell him you can't afford do it for that. The problem you're most likely to have is that most people see those cheapy offers at Walmart and think all photographers charge $9.99 for a session.

I know you have to go with your gut on this, but you might want to consider that this guy just wants to have a nice photo of his family and likes the idea of hiring a local person to do the job.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 06:51 pm
I was just getting ready to say something similar to green witch.

The neighborhood can't be filled with child molesters... unless there's something you aren't telling us. Smile

Like you, some may just be pulling themselves up, getting along the best they can until they are established. Don't write off potential business based on stereotype. And, a little discount to help someone out never hurts on the karma scale.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:00 pm
Basic alarm system is about $30/month.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
Having never seen your neighborhood, I can't begin to think in terms of a fair amount, but I agree with GW that you are already advertising and it's no surprise to anyone in the hood what you may have in the appt.

Use yourself as a guideline. Say you wanted to have a nice portrait of you, Bean, and Mr Wolf. What would it be worth to you? How much would/could you pay? Knowing that he's a neighbor and he approached you might give you a way to check him out a bit beforehand.

Agreeing in general that you have to listen to your gut, but also knowing from experience that all residents of a neighborhood are not necessarily in the same financial circumstances.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:50 pm
yeesh.....I know what you mean shewolf. I wouldn't want to do it.

How about if you say that you have made it a policy not to do sessions for friends and neighbors?

That is, essentially, the truth.

If he persists and asks why, you can tell him you don't like to mix business with pleasure.....then cleverly change the subject.

oh, also...rereading what you said...that he called you, and you've seen him in passing.

I know this seems very non-direct, but how about if you just keep forgetting to call him back? If he sees you in passing again, and brings it up, then you can give him that answer.....who knows, maybe he'll have have forgotten about it too.

BTW everybody, the ad she has on the back of her car is really great.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
Shewolf you run the risk of alienating these same people by pushing them away about this. You could very well be a target any way simply because of what you have (photo stuff) is easily pawned.

I think you should stand proud, and be who you are. That said, you already know that you have to be aware always where you stay. Alarm company stickers are almost as good as the system itself as far as keeping them concerned as to being caught.

You may find that a few loyal customers among your neighbors is a good thing.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:09 pm
Do you think you would be alienating these people shewolf?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:10 pm
If you are advertising and are concerned about your neighborhood, you definitely need that security system. Your ad is a huge sign to folks that you have expensive photography equipment. Since you work out of your home, you have the security of your home to consider. Treat your brick and mortar advertising with the same caution you would use on a website for your business.

If you haven't done so already, you might consider renting a P.O. Box for your photography business and using that as the contact address on your ads. You could also get a separate business phone line and only use that in your ads and communications with customers. These things will give you a bit of a wall between the home and your potential customers. You'll be able to advertise the business without the home address and will feel more comfortable doing work for neighbors.

Again, use the same precautions you would for meeting someone from the internet if you feel uncomfortable. Meet in public places or have another adult accompany you to the shoot location.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:19 pm
DrewDad wrote:

And this way at least you will know they have broken in before they (do whatever they want). You live in Texas no? Get a CCW - easy and cheap. A nice concealed carry weapon will only set you back $300 or so. And you can take it with you.

I think the key is to make sure people know you aren't a victim. You are in business, and you will protect that business and your family any way you can. So simple.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:28 pm
I'm thinking about this, and what I would be asking myself.

My question to me would be;

Do I run a higher risk of robbery and/or harm by politely saying you don't do business with neighborhood people, so as not to cause future conflicts.....or by having someone you don't trust seeing all your expensive ****?

This is just my personal experience, so it may not mean ****, but here goes....

I have met people from various "classes" "life situations" whatever you want to call them, that for whatever reason, I didn't want to spend time with, regardless of how much money, or not they had in the bank.

The worst type to try to nicely let know that you're really not to keen on their company or doing business with them are clueless upper-middle class women. They can never conceive of something bad happening to them, and are sometimes WAY to open, and could never imagine that anyone wouldn't enjoy their company or buying their product.

I know the wolfs neighborhood, and there are a lot of people there who have seen hard times, and have lost a lot, or never had it. They are protective of what they do have....they have to be. Because of that, they expect their neighbors to be that way too. Personally, I think when people have gone through hard times, they are better able to read between the lines. At work, I talk to patients in bad economic situations, and sometimes during conversation can feel a little wall going up, like maybe I just said something they can't relate to, or asked about something they didn't think they needed to answer. I'll graciously back off the subject, and can tell they realize I read their eyes/bodies.

I guess I can better picture someone saying to some crack head buddies "man, she has some nice cameras, let's go get them" rather than "that biotch wouldn't take a picture of my kid, let's go rob her"

I could be totally wrong though.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 08:53 pm
And just to clear the air, it isn't HIM I'm worried about.
He is one of the few people around here that are very nice, very polite and I can tell , is just busting his hump to make a living.
He seems a bit.. ( being completely polite..) slow. And is probably why he makes as little as he does, and is living here.

He really , just wants a nice picture. He isn't out to try to get it cheap because he is my neighbor. He isn't trying to peek into what I have ( from what I can tell..) BUT, who will he talk to..

Seeing as he is literally living right next door to the local pot dealer, I am uncomfortable. He is very polite and makes conversation with a lot of people. Who is to say that he wont be impressed with what he thinks is a very expensive camera and say so?

Yes, only no do I completely realize what having an advertisement on my car means. Mercy on my lack of forethought .. but.. yeah.
Everyone knows what I do.
BUt that doesn't mean everyone is 'out to get me'.
It is the scattered few that DO steal, that DO sell drugs, that ARE the kind of people I don't trust that scare me.

And sadly, in a 4 coldesac (spelling..? ) neighborhood there are 6 child molesters who are over the age of 30 with victims under the age of 10
2 over the age of 30 with victims under the age of 16
and 3 who's criminal records sound to me like they were only a few years older then their " victims" and were possibly the victim of parents who just did not want them dating their daughters.

In these 4 circles, there are 6 4plexes.
In a way.. yes.. this place is full of child molesters. About one per building. The one who lives next door to me has a target victim age of little girls 4-6 years old.

I do not think that making the decision to not help this guy would alienate people around here. Especially if I just use the very basic, but very good excuse of being busy.
I mean, it IS the holiday season and YES, I have about 2-4 sessions a week right now. I really am busy. Though I could honestly fit him in.

I think my new goal for the time being will be to get an alarm system in the house. I really only need it for 2 doors and one window. I would feel better.

I hate that I have to look at my neighbors like this. I am living proof that not all here are drug dealers, thieves, or crack heads. It is just the handful that are, seem to be the most predominant people in the area because they are always around. They are the ones who talk. They are the ones who are always trying to sell your typical stolen items. They are the ones with the police knocking on their doors most often. THEY scare me.

I really may be just over thinking this, but I really don't feel comfortable with taking on some of the people around here as customers. And frankly , I would not be missing out on much business as these are really not the people who WOULD afford something like this anyway.
But then again, I may just be having that judgemental streak again.. who knows..
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
Rockhead wrote:
You could very well be a target any way simply because of what you have (photo stuff) is easily pawned.

Since this guy has called me, I have gotten so paranoid about this, I am considering renting a lock box to keep my camera in while I am not using it.

But here is the silly side , ( at least to me ).. I have been here a year..
Nothing has happened.

yet, I keep being paranoid.. Confused
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:05 pm
You'd probably know better than me, just because I've led a fairly sheltered life regarding criminals, but would a criminal / theif / child molester, etc WANT to have their picture taken? I mean, do you really think they would come to you as customers?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:07 pm
DrewDad wrote:

with who??

That doesnt charge me 200+ for equipment...
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:17 pm
What I just said may not have sounded right. What I meant was you are probably more street smart than I am.

Hey, it might be nice for them to have a christmas pic for Mamma that doesn't have a number placard across the bottom.

And, when the police come knocking around the neighborhood looking for someone, you can give them a better picture than the one caught on security camera's at the 7-11.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hiding myself
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 01:39:32