My complaint about Yoga class

Gala

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:49 am
sakhi wrote:
I have been going for this yoga class since a couple of years..he talks only when the pose is a little acrobatic (do's and dont's type of information)...but during the calmer moments he does not talk at all. He gives no therapy type of talk - i'd hate that.

I also like the fact that he doesn't go out of his way to please/single out the foreign students in the class (a LOT of indian teachers do that). I get irritated with that - and i'm sure those people would too.

For meditation, i went to this lady who gave me instructions and that was it. After the 20 min mediation session, i was the one who asked her questions. The only thing i wasn't too kicked up about was the number of photos of her guruji in the room. Anyway, once i closed my eyes, it didn't bother me.

I can relate to the problem though...but it isn't always the case (at least in India). I think this is more of a problem with the new-age teachers. I went to this "well-being" class once and all the "bonding" that was happening there really put me off. But lot of people seem to like it .

It sounds like you've found a good situation-- yes there are always the small things you can live with in a class, eg, all the pics of the Guru.

When I was living in the Middle West I found a Kripalu studio where I could pay $50 a month for unlimited classes. while I found the teacher to be self-serving, and his playing some kind of found instrument to accompany his chants of "om", I could tolerate the class because it was a great deal and he knew how to make things flow.

I'm not sure if people really like the bonding part. Although, I get the impression other people in the class like it as well-- Maybe they're just too polite to ever say anything?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:51 am
msolga wrote:
I once had a yoga instructer who said "ummmm", every 3rd soothing, sensitive word.

Did I relax & enjoy the experience of his class?

Hell no!

I found myself wanted to scream at him : "Spit it out, man! What on earth are you trying to say?" (as I waited tensely for the next Uummm to emerge)

That very nice, kind Buddhist man caused serious stress for all of us in his class! Laughing

My best advice: change classes or find another way!

Walking is good! Very Happy

Torture!

I took one class at the health club when I was living in Baltimore and the instructor gave jerky nervous, spasmodic bursts of laughter after every comment.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
One of the perks of being an adult is that we can choose our teachers, doctors, clergy or anybody else whom with we deal. If we don't like their personality, we can pick ourselves up and go elsewhere.

I feel sorry for kids who are stuck with teachers whom they don't like. Children don't have the freedom that adults do.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:36 pm
My new signature line.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:41 pm
I found that cartoon on meditation - it's in the Aug. 20, 2007 NY'r. Unfortunately, there's a screw up at the website and Aug. 20th's cartoons aren't in the archives.

It's by Sipress; two people are leaving a Meditation Center. One says to the other, "As far as I can tell, meditation is just worrying minus the content,"

Ok, ok, not funny...
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:00 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I found that cartoon on meditation - it's in the Aug. 20, 2007 NY'r. Unfortunately, there's a screw up at the website and Aug. 20th's cartoons aren't in the archives.

It's by Sipress; two people are leaving a Meditation Center. One says to the other, "As far as I can tell, meditation is just worrying minus the content,"

Ok, ok, not funny...

It's funny osso-- and perceptive. We're supposed to claim enlightenment or moving to a higher plain while meditating or practicing Yoga, but who the Hell would say something like this in real life? Good one.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 12:49 pm
Chai wrote:
My new signature line.....

What a fine moment, thank you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 03:56 pm
Osso--

I rank that cartoon with "Worry is the atheist's chosen form of prayer."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:04 pm
Yes, I can see a sort of match there.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:13 pm
Osso--

All time favorite:

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_details.asp?mscssid=NH90J86Q82989JGC96UHN1CA4L2U0RB5&sitetype=1&did=4&sid=39755&pid=&keyword=Are+we+there+yet%3F&section=cartoons&title=undefined&whichpage=3&sortBy=popular

I think The New Yorker is archiving recent cartoons on their current site.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:15 pm
Yes, they do... but somehow they skipped two weeks back in August, putting the Aug. 13 issue in three times instead. (I worked my way back trying to find the cartoon and couldn't, but had happened to save the issue myself because of the Giuliani article.)

Back to look at your favorite..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
Seems Mr. Sipress has a theme!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:10 am
Osso--

So many of us are impatient for enlightenment and serenity.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 12:02 pm
Here's one of my favorite New Yorker cartoons:

http://www.cartoonbank.com/product_details.asp?mscssid=BQGU9QA6GQBU9NPURSJLBWX05TH58WKF&sitetype=1&did=4&sid=33670&pid=&keyword=Lassie&section=all&title=undefined&whichpage=1&sortBy=popular
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 03:00:11