My complaint about Yoga class

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:25 pm
I know you're supposed to reach a level of calm and acceptance from doing Yoga, however, I've been practicing for more than ten years and my biggest complaint about taking classes (anywhere) is the teacher talks too much. The current instructor goes on and on and on. It makes me feel violent. Included are references during, say, a calming pose, he'll bring up the topic of "angry feelings" and to "let it go..."

I hate that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,430 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:45 pm
Does it make you angry?
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:01 pm
Indeed, and you know, at the end of every class he'll say: "I was going to do this pose and this pose and this pose, but we ran out of time..." The gist of it is-- once you get an hour or so into a class you are pretty loosened up, and the last poses are the most challenging and rewarding because you Are limbered up.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
No help, but keep in mind that these people are promoters. That's their style. Like aerobics instructors. They are don't have degrees in Physical Education, they are not therapist. They are "Bubbly". I would have hoped for better in Yoga, but I don't guess it happens.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Gala--

Can you talk to the instructor and explain that after ten years you feel you may be able to make an enormous break through to a non-verbal yoga--one without the constant reminders of the feelings that you're casting away.

Does he agree with your self-estimate of mastery? Does he preside over any non-verbal sessions? Can he recommend someone?

Also express regret that you aren't moving on to the more difficult exercises. Sympathize with his problems about having students with many different levels of skills, but stress that you have to focus on your own serenity and development. Because of his expertise, you're sure he'll understand.

Some people chatter to a group simply because they are nervous. Is he nervous?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:34 pm
Is that teacher "the only game in town"? If you are not happy with the way that he teaches, your answer is very simple...........................find another instructor.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
roger wrote:
No help, but keep in mind that these people are promoters. That's their style. Like aerobics instructors. They are don't have degrees in Physical Education, they are not therapist. They are "Bubbly". I would have hoped for better in Yoga, but I don't guess it happens.

Lissen to this-- about bubbly...

The class is on Friday nights at 7pm. My thinking about the time and day--it would be a great time to go to unwind and put the end of the work week behind. So, during one class I walk in and he says "how are you?" all bubbly-like, and I say, "I'm alright" and Herr Bubbly says "You can do better than that."

No, I cannot.

Ah, but they fancy themselves to be all you've mentioned. The current teacher I have is an adjunct professor because he teaches Yoga in Health Sciences department at a university.

You are correct, roger, about hoping for better in a Yoga class. This one beats the band for babble.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:50 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Gala--

Can you talk to the instructor and explain that after ten years you feel you may be able to make an enormous break through to a non-verbal yoga--one without the constant reminders of the feelings that you're casting away.

Does he agree with your self-estimate of mastery? Does he preside over any non-verbal sessions? Can he recommend someone?

Also express regret that you aren't moving on to the more difficult exercises. Sympathize with his problems about having students with many different levels of skills, but stress that you have to focus on your own serenity and development. Because of his expertise, you're sure he'll understand.

Some people chatter to a group simply because they are nervous. Is he nervous?

You know, Noddy, I have considered many of the points you have made. But for some reason my instincts tell me not to. Here's why: Talking and working off a sheet of paper is so much a part of this guys identity, it has become clear to me-- I am the one having difficulties, not the instructor or the others in the class. No one else seems to mind.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:53 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Is that teacher "the only game in town"? If you are not happy with the way that he teaches, your answer is very simple...........................find another instructor.

I agree, please see my response to Mz. Noddy. However, your to-the-pointness takes away from my urge to kvetch about this nonsense.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:59 pm
Gala- Sometimes it is helpful to "cut to the chase". Often people (me included) get so involved in extraneous stuff, so that the central issue is missed.

I have done yoga, and I know that the personality of the teacher has a lot to do with a person's enjoyment of the art. Obviously, you and this teacher are a poor fit. Good luck on finding another one!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:00 pm
Gala, I can soooo empathize. I even became angry during meditation once (restless or agitated more than once, but this one time i was pissed off to tears)- when it became too suggestive about how i should feel and what i should accept and feel good about accepting it. I do know what were the deeper reasons, but I also do not appreciate the pushy style. i don't do yoga (i love boxing, step aerobics, boot camp, etc... the hardcore cardio) but in meditation i appreciate just a gentle setting of the scene, and then as little interference as possible. i know others like to be walked through it, so it's a matter of personalities and preferences.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Gala- Sometimes it is helpful to "cut to the chase". Often people (me included) get so involved in extraneous stuff, so that the central issue is missed.

I have done yoga, and I know that the personality of the teacher has a lot to do with a person's enjoyment of the art. Obviously, you and this teacher are a poor fit. Good luck on finding another one!

Actually, there is no extraneous stuff-- I know I need to go elsewhere.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:26 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Gala, I can soooo empathize. I even became angry during meditation once (restless or agitated more than once, but this one time i was pissed off to tears)- when it became too suggestive about how i should feel and what i should accept and feel good about accepting it. I do know what were the deeper reasons, but I also do not appreciate the pushy style. i don't do yoga (i love boxing, step aerobics, boot camp, etc... the hardcore cardio) but in meditation i appreciate just a gentle setting of the scene, and then as little interference as possible. i know others like to be walked through it, so it's a matter of personalities and preferences.

Exactly dagmarka. It's enough to make anyone keep away. Pissed off to tears sums it up. I have complaints as long as my arm about his teaching (ranges from lacking a flow, too repetitive, lacks variety from week to week, talk, talk, talk, sharing, sharing, sharing. next week after we do the warm-up and he (predictably asks if 'anyone wants to share any thoughts" I may request that we get through a whole class with minimal talking...depends on my mood. Usuallyby Friday I am so tired it takes more energy to raise an issue than it does to fidget (very passive-aggressive of me) while he's bonding.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 02:45 pm
Grrrrr....I don't do yoga, but I can so relate. Actually, that's why I tend not to participate in group activities...There's always at least one person who makes it their mission to force you to be happy, peppy and bursting with love. (remember that song from the Odd Couple?)

Actually, that's why I gave up occassionally trying out different churches here and there. After whatever their service was ended, Id be sitting quietly, waiting for the crowd to thin out, and inevitably someone would come up....ask "What's wrong"?...try to give me a hug or just sit there with me. This one woman would just not accept "I'm quite content just sitting here thanks" Finally I told her I had been fine until she showed up and broke the mood....still didn't register.

Yeah...you're going to need to find a new class...this person is not ever gonna get it.

"You can do better than that"....oh ****....I have half a dozen responses for that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 04:47 pm
Gala--

Any semi-stranger who tries to jolly you into a good mood deserves to be replaced.
0 Replies

sakhi

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:50 pm
I have been going for this yoga class since a couple of years..he talks only when the pose is a little acrobatic (do's and dont's type of information)...but during the calmer moments he does not talk at all. He gives no therapy type of talk - i'd hate that.

I also like the fact that he doesn't go out of his way to please/single out the foreign students in the class (a LOT of indian teachers do that). I get irritated with that - and i'm sure those people would too.

For meditation, i went to this lady who gave me instructions and that was it. After the 20 min mediation session, i was the one who asked her questions. The only thing i wasn't too kicked up about was the number of photos of her guruji in the room. Anyway, once i closed my eyes, it didn't bother me.

I can relate to the problem though...but it isn't always the case (at least in India). I think this is more of a problem with the new-age teachers. I went to this "well-being" class once and all the "bonding" that was happening there really put me off. But lot of people seem to like it .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:56 pm
There was a recent NY'r cartoon on medtation, but I can't conjer it up at the moment.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:35 am
I once had a yoga instructer who said "ummmm", every 3rd soothing, sensitive word.

Did I relax & enjoy the experience of his class?

Hell no!

I found myself wanted to scream at him : "Spit it out, man! What on earth are you trying to say?" (as I waited tensely for the next Uummm to emerge)

That very nice, kind Buddhist man caused serious stress for all of us in his class! Laughing

My best advice: change classes or find another way!

Walking is good! Very Happy
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:36 am
Chai wrote:
Grrrrr....I don't do yoga, but I can so relate. Actually, that's why I tend not to participate in group activities...There's always at least one person who makes it their mission to force you to be happy, peppy and bursting with love. (remember that song from the Odd Couple?)

Actually, that's why I gave up occassionally trying out different churches here and there. After whatever their service was ended, Id be sitting quietly, waiting for the crowd to thin out, and inevitably someone would come up....ask "What's wrong"?...try to give me a hug or just sit there with me. This one woman would just not accept "I'm quite content just sitting here thanks" Finally I told her I had been fine until she showed up and broke the mood....still didn't register.

Yeah...you're going to need to find a new class...this person is not ever gonna get it.

"You can do better than that"....oh ****....I have half a dozen responses for that.

What a hoot, Chai. What is wrong with these perky people? I recall going out to the West Coast some years ago and practically everyone I met wanted to hug me.

Then, there was the time I decided I did some volunteer editing for the Unitarian Church in Baltimore. I met so many people who were unecessary to my current and future well-being. All of them converts much in the way the Yoga teacher approaches life. I didn't last long there.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:42 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Gala--

Any semi-stranger who tries to jolly you into a good mood deserves to be replaced.

On the surface jollying, but really the tone of the remark has a scolding, finger-wagging quality to it.

Kiss my ass, Yoga boy.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » My complaint about Yoga class
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:15:23