Novice in the Stock Market

Chumly

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:50 am
One of the things I find most hilarious is the price increases after a stock spilt. What a bunch of idiots running up the price!

Just check out "The Sage of Omaha" Warren Buffett as per the absurdity of price increases after a stock split.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:18 pm
I have restrained spendi from making a crude joke. (Editor)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 06:50 pm
I guess self restraint is a thankless task, but in this case I'll make the exception......thanks!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 07:01 pm
one of the toronto newspapers used to have an annual stock-picking contest .
five top analysts were asked to pick the five top stocks each for the coming year .
the "competition" was a journalist throwing darts at the year-end stock listing ... i seem to recall that the "dart thrower" won several years in a row ... the contest was discontinued because the analysts didn't like to be shown up . :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 31 May, 2008 11:09 pm
Yep Hamburger, the Random Walk rears its ugly head with predictable Market Efficiency (multiple pun).

However, that is not to say there is not lots of money to be made in securities......if you understand Index Funds as I have discussed them.

My position appears somewhat contrary to your prior posts as to where best to place one's hard-eared pennies.

Aside: I am not against the benefits of certain types of insurance as investment vehicles; but bear in mind that a lot of the underlying securities are actively traded, to the net detriment of the holders (excess MER's etc) as compared to passive index investing within the same context.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 04:53 pm
chumley :

at our age we are in the process of slow and gradual withdrawal of our investments .
i find that we can save quite a bit on taxes by properly structured withdrawals .
i also find that taking our vacations when other people are not travelling actively , saves us quite a bit - of course , we are still spending our money ; we simply get more bang for the buck . Laughing
and the cruiselines and hotels are happy to see us when business is slow ! :wink:
it's time to cash in the savings and winnings !
hbg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 08:03 pm
hamburger wrote:
i find that we can save quite a bit on taxes by properly structured withdrawals.
As mentioned:
Chumly wrote:
Configure your portfolio in light of your given tax implications.
My toughest very near-term decision is: should I have an evening snack?
0 Replies