Please Send Rain To Southeast US!!

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:24 pm
I was just talking to someone I know in Georgia. Man, I didn't realize it, but there is a terrible drought going on there now!

From what my friends says, they haven't had a drop of rain in almost a month, lake levels are dropping like crazy -- and the weather outlook for the next six months isn't looking good.

In fact, Georgia, Alabama and Florida are currently bickering over the remaining water supply -- what there is of it. By some estimations, there are only about 60-90 days of water left! As my friend said, "And then what?"

He says the agricultural business has taken a big hit down there as a result -- so it's going to effect all of us. (Landscapers are going out of business too.)

The situation is pretty serious and residents of Georgia, Alabama and Florida may be put on water rationing soon. Just think of all the things you use water for -- doing your dishes, your laundry, taking a shower.

I'd like to ask our British A2Kers to help out. There's always plenty of rain in Merry Old Soggy England. Please! Send some to the southeast US!

Thank you!

This has been a Stray Cat Public Service Announcement.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 21
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:43 pm
FNQ is heading into the wet season now, I'll be sure to mail some water at least once a fortnight.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 06:51 pm
On behalf of the Southeast, thank you, hingehead!! Very Happy
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:15 pm
It's the least I could do, and never let it be said I didn't do the least I could do.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:17 pm
Get in line stray cat!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:29 pm
Would like to help, but this is New Mexico.

We sometimes have some high winds. Would that help?
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
Thanks, roger. But I think they need something in liquid form. Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:42 pm
Hmm, high winds and all of that bone dry, combustible fuel down south. I shudder at the thought.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 08:47 pm
roger wrote:
Would like to help, but this is New Mexico.

We sometimes have some high winds. Would that help?

I was just reviewing rainfall data for cities in the US (for a lesson plan). I got to Albaturkey and they suddenly switched to millimeters on me! They get so little rainfall that mms made more sense than inches.... I guess.

Anyway, I'd been hearing about this drought for a week now. I used to live down that way and it seems impossible to go this long with no rain.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:58 pm
Day after day of sunshine and blue skies. Who ever thought we'd be sick of it?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:02 pm
I think Squinney said they are water rationed there...
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:31 pm
Yes, osso, I think the drought problem extends to North Carolina too.

eoe, I forgot about you being down there in Georgia. My friend was telling me that part of this problem is due to poor planning. Atlanta's population has boomed in recent decades, but one thing the city planners forgot about was.....the water supply.... Confused
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 10:36 pm
I moved here in 1993. The traffic is atrocious for the same reasons, a booming population and poor planning. That's all fine and good, the reasons why but, what in God's name are we gonna do about it?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:19 am
there are homosexuals in the southeast... this is God's punishment. I praise and thank God for his loving correction....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:31 am
Eoe--

You reminded me of my Mother who spent some time in the flatlands of Colorado. She hated the climate. She used to open her eyes in the morning and mutter, "Another goddamned beautiful cloudless day!"

Ordinarily my mother was not a profane woman.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 11:48 am
The drought here in NE Georgia has been ongoing for over 30 years, but nobody paid
attention because big money was being made building to meet the population explosion.

If we do not get 20 inches of rain within the next 30 days you will see the beginnings of a regional exodus. It's that bad!
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:15 pm
H2OMan, (appropriate name for this thread, btw), it does indeed sound critical. I was just looking at the weather channel, and they're predicting rain for the northeast -- actually right down to Virginia. But it stops just short of North Carolina!

They're also getting rain in Tennessee, but none in Georgia or Alabama!

It's like the rain is skirting right around the Southeast. What's up with the weather? It's really screwy!

Anyway, they also said there might be a moisture system coming into Georgia within the next 48 hours. Let's hope it's a good one!

Of course, I think the entire southeast needs a good soaking rain for a few days at least.

If they don't get it soon, who knows what will happen? But how to help them? Sad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:19 pm
Is any info available on the reduction in tree cover in those or nearby areas?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:23 pm
Stray Cat wrote:

It's like the rain is skirting right around the Southeast. What's up with the weather? It's really screwy!

I blame it all on Owl Gore and Mrs. Clinton - they hate rednecks!

As for what will happen ... do the letters S H T F ring a bell?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:40 pm
dadpad wrote:
Is any info available on the reduction in tree cover in those or nearby areas?

Have not heard nor seen any major reduction of tree cover in Alabama. I have been here my whole life and have never seen anything like it. As a matter of fact Mobile rivals Seattle in being the rainiest city in the U.S....but upper Alabama seems to be what is hardest hit...around Huntsville and Birmingham...which is only two hours west of Atlanta.

We have been conserving water in a major way since the spring. We don't wash our cars...We take quick showers...even been trying to get the kids to quit flushing the toilet so much. I missed my garden this year. I was told that there was a high pressure system that made the rain skirt this area...but if that was true - I can't imagine it staying here for 7 months. Quite honestly it has caused all our rivers and lakes to be extrememly low and our main sources of water are growing plants in places that have never been able to grow plants before...a little disconcerting to say the least.

I have heard folks talking about the need for a hurricance to break the drought...but that seems to be a bit drastic in my opinion...I am hoping it clears up without something as destructive as that...have no clue what the cause is and can't get real straight answers from any of the media. I don't think anyone really knows.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Please Send Rain To Southeast US!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.07 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 12:21:25