Help with wording questions on forums

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:51 pm
Hi. I need some help rewording a phrase I constantly use on translation sites.

I ofen say, "I'm interested in ______(name of language here) youth, street and college slang".

And I am.

Is youth and college slang the same thing?

How can I reword this phrase?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,830 • Replies: 19
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:52 pm
"Colloquialisms," maybe. (As in, "I'm interested in [name of language here] colloquialisms.")

I think street and college slang are pretty different.

What is your interest, btw?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:55 pm
Sounds fine to me. You could replace "street" with "urban", and "youth" with "teenage".Youth and college slang definitely are not the same thing. You are dealing with two different demographics.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
"Colloquialisms," maybe. (As in, "I'm interested in [name of language here] colloquialisms.")

I think street and college slang are pretty different.

What is your interest, btw?

Youth, street and college slang.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:25 pm
I understand that, more like, why? What are you going for? For what purpose?

To use it in those countries, for example? In what circumstances, if so?

Your answer would help me advise you. From previous questions I've seen you ask, I definitely think that you could be more precise.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
I understand that, more like, why? What are you going for? For what purpose?

To use it in those countries, for example? In what circumstances, if so?

Your answer would help me advise you. From previous questions I've seen you ask, I definitely think that you could be more precise.

I'm writing a comic book, and I want to use slang in different languages.

I want to use slang terms young people would use.

If I said, "I'm interested in slang in general", which I think is better way to rephrase my question, wouldn't that cover youth, street and college slang?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 02:26 pm
Quote:
If I said, "I'm interested in slang in general", which I think is better way to rephrase my question, wouldn't that cover youth, street and college slang?

Nope. If you used street slang in the context of a college student speaking, for instance, to the reader it would stick out like a sore thumb.

This is not the same as what you are discussing, but related. I once watched a British film where one of the characters was playing an American. To a British audience he probably sounded fine, but to me, his inaccurate accent was very grating.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 03:20 pm
reply to Phoenix32890
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

Nope. If you used street slang in the context of a college student speaking, for instance, to the reader it would stick out like a sore thumb.

This is not the same as what you are discussing, but related. I once watched a British film where one of the characters was playing an American. To a British audience he probably sounded fine, but to me, his inaccurate accent was very grating.

Hello Phoenix32890-thank you for responding.
How can I lump youth, street and college slang into one thing?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
"Youth slang" sounds like it's the closest to what you're going for.

Or "street slang."

Either would do, I think the repetition is confusing rather than clarifying. "College slang," especially, in that context, seems like it would be need to be college-specific to be set off that way.

Some college kids use street slang -- but they're using street slang. I don't think you're going for, like, nicknames for the really bad economics prof.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:51 pm
Reply to sozobe
sozobe wrote:

Or "street slang."

Either would do, I think the repetition is confusing rather than clarifying. "College slang," especially, in that context, seems like it would be need to be college-specific to be set off that way.

Some college kids use street slang -- but they're using street slang. I don't think you're going for, like, nicknames for the really bad economics prof.

But isn't college slang a form of youth slang?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:54 am
reply to sozobe
sozobe wrote:

Or "street slang."

What's the difference between college slang and youth slang?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:02 am
Hmm... what do you think "college slang" means?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:59 am
sozobe wrote:
Hmm... what do you think "college slang" means?

Not what I meant-don't college students use the same kinds of terms teens use?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 03:59 pm
sozobe wrote:

Or "street slang."

What about "adolescent slang"? I think that what cover teen and college slang.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 11:50 am
Reply to sozobe
sozobe wrote:

Or "street slang."

HI-is all street slang youth slang?
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 08:37 pm
There's a big difference in the slang a 14-year old uses and the slang you hear in a college-age bar. Street slang is trickling into both groups via the hiphop culture, but college kids don't talk like street kids and neither do younger teens.

Do a little research on slang in general. I think you'll find that kids start using a lot of slang as they move into adolescence, as part of the breaking-away they're doing. They'd tend to keep those words as part of their vocabularies, while younger kids will develop new slang to set their age group apart.

I was a hippie child -- neither my older cousins nor my younger siblings (we're talking about approximately a 10-year span) used the same slang I did. What was hip to my cousins was groovy to me, and bitchin' to my sister's friends.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:00 pm
Wy wrote:
There's a big difference in the slang a 14-year old uses and the slang you hear in a college-age bar. Street slang is trickling into both groups via the hiphop culture, but college kids don't talk like street kids and neither do younger teens.

Do a little research on slang in general. I think you'll find that kids start using a lot of slang as they move into adolescence, as part of the breaking-away they're doing. They'd tend to keep those words as part of their vocabularies, while younger kids will develop new slang to set their age group apart.

I was a hippie child -- neither my older cousins nor my younger siblings (we're talking about approximately a 10-year span) used the same slang I did. What was hip to my cousins was groovy to me, and bitchin' to my sister's friends.

Yes-but there much be one term I can use to link street slang, college slang and college slang into one entity.

Should I say, "young people's slang"?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:04 pm
Young people are not one entitiy.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:49 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Young people are not one entitiy.

Hi ossobuco-I know that.

Street slang is general used by young people.

Teen slang and college slang are two types of young people's slang.

How can I lump all of this together into one term?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 12:37 pm
Wy wrote:

Should I say "slang in general" then?

I think "youth slang" covers both teen slang and college slang-since most college students are usually between 18-21, and are considered youths.
0 Replies