Spooky Places

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 06:37 pm
If you want to do something spooky for Halloween, you can rent a room in the former home of Lizzie Borden (who murdered her parents with an ax back in the 1890's).

Yes, her home (in Falls River, Massachusetts) is now a bed a breadfast.

http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/ODbordenhomenow.jpg

However, it'll cost you extra if you want to spend the night in the "crime room."

Ewwwwwww! No thanks. I'll pass.

Know of any other creepy, spooky or haunted places?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 764 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 07:43 pm
The Coliseum in Rome. I was taken on an archeological tour of the place when I was a student. At one point we walked through a long corridor into the arena. The corridor was totally creepy and cold. People complained of feeling icy chills as they walked through it, although it was mid-summer and hot. After leaving the corridor, we were told that we had just come through the victims entrance where people would have walked to the main area to be eaten by lions or slaughtered in combat. It was as if a residue of terror remained a couple of thousand years later. I've also been to the Tower of London, but it didn't feel anywhere near as creepy.

------------------------------------

We have a haunted farmhouse near where I live and kids are always daring each other to spend the night in the place. I did have a weird thing happen one night driving by it with a full moon in the sky. I swear I saw someone out in the overgrown field behind the house scattering seed from a bag slung around his chest. He was in dark profile and the scene looked like a Milliet painting of a peasant. I stopped the car to try and get a better look, but I couldn't tell exactly what I was seeing and then it was like the image fell down a hole and was gone. My husband said it was probably some teenager planting pot seeds by the light of the moon and ducked when he realized the car had stopped. I guess I'll never know.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:46 pm
Hey, how come the pic I posted of Lizzie's house isn't showing up? Now, that's spooky!

GW, I've been to the Tower of London, and I thought it was pretty oppressive looking. I remember standing in the courtyard where Anne Boylen was executed and trying to imagine what that must've been like! Poor Anne! And all because she couldn't have a son.

Quote:
The Coliseum in Rome. I was taken on an archeological tour of the place when I was a student. At one point we walked through a long corridor into the arena. The corridor was totally creepy and cold. People complained of feeling icy chills as they walked through it, although it was mid-summer and hot. After leaving the corridor, we were told that we had just come through the victims entrance where people would have walked to the main area to be eaten by lions or slaughtered in combat.

Man, that must've been creepy. Imagine how terrified they were.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:04 pm
Great thread, Stray Cat. I saw Lizzie's house. Odd that.

There is a ghost room in my ancestral home, and it has become notorious. My older sister got smacked on the butt by a ghost in that bedroom. (that is what she told me). So my courageous kids decided to hold a seance there. Suddenly in the midst of their childish experiment, all of the shades flew up at one time. You should have heard those kids scramble. My son was actually green looking and the hair was standing up on his arms. If ever I saw fear in the human face, it was then.

This is interesting, although I have never been here.

http://www.igougo.com/images2/experience/archive/ghost1.jpg

It has been said that a dark haired man with wild eyes haunts St. John's Church. People have speculated that it is Edgar A. Poe looking for a lost love.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:27 pm
The spookiest, scariest, most oppressive place I have ever been is Auschwitz.
Walking thru that gate with the words (pardon my spelling) arbeit macht frei, the temp seemed to drop 30 degrees instantly.

Seeing those ovens and the other ruins of that place makes you wonder, did the Germans kill the person that would have found the cure for cancer, or the man or woman that would have created totally emissions free fuel cells, or anyone else that would have made a great contribution to mankind?

You can almost hear the screams and the cries for mercy from the victims of that horror.
That is without a doubt the spookiest place on earth.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 05:29 pm
Stray Cat wrote:

GW, I've been to the Tower of London, and I thought it was pretty oppressive looking. I remember standing in the courtyard where Anne Boylen was executed and trying to imagine what that must've been like! Poor Anne! And all because she couldn't have a son.

I stood there too and had a similar thought. I thought that since it's actually the male that determines the sex of a baby they should have cut off Henry's head. Science is a good thing.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:25 pm
Right, GW! Too bad that scientific knowledge wasn't available in time to save Anne.

Then there's the Roosevelt Hotel in Los Angeles, that's reputedly haunted by movie stars that once stayed there.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2005_3rd/HollywoodRooseveltExteriorPhoto.jpeg

They say Marilyn Monroe's ghost has been seen at the pooside, and some guests have seen her reflection in a full length mirror that used to be in her favorite suite.

Montgomery Clift supposedly haunts his favorite room there, #928. He was staying at the Roosevelt while he was working on a movie in which he had to play the trombone. He used to practice the trombone in his room. Some guests have said they hear a horn playing in the ninth floor hallway. Oooooooo!

Quote:

Yes, mysteryman. That's got to be seriously creepy. And sad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:29 pm
heehee... pooside.....
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 09:39 pm
Yeah, littlek. I guess the male guests wouldn't mind being haunted by a bathing suit clad Marilyn Monroe! Very Happy
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:31 am
About a dozen years ago we toured The Chapel of the Bones in Evora, Portugal. It was built during the Middle Ages to convince people of the shortness of human life, and the need to prepare for Eternity.

The entire Chapel is built of human bones. It's the strangest, most unsettling thing I've ever seen.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:28 am
mysteryman wrote:
Walking thru that gate with the words (pardon my spelling) arbeit macht frei, the temp seemed to drop 30 degrees instantly.

Seeing those ovens and the other ruins of that place makes you wonder, did the Germans kill the person that would have found the cure for cancer, or the man or woman that would have created totally emissions free fuel cells, or anyone else that would have made a great contribution to mankind?

You can almost hear the screams and the cries for mercy from the victims of that horror.
That is without a doubt the spookiest place on earth.

I got the shivers just reading this.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 09:31 am
By the way, the spookiest place I've ever been was Stonehenge.
This was back in the mid-70s and you could actually walk around
among the stones.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:48 pm
Quote:
The entire Chapel is built of human bones. It's the strangest, most unsettling thing I've ever seen.

Wow! I don't even want to know how they managed to collect that many human bones.....

Stonehenge must've been pretty cool, George. Sounds like they don't let people walk around the stones anymore? Must be afraid of vandalism, I guess.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Spooky Places
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 04:03:13