Tosser or Saver?

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 01:22 pm
squinney wrote:
I was a horder living with a tosser. Over time I've learned to be okay with tossing things. I'm now a minimalist. I like things streamlined, uncluttered. I keep a few books I've already read just so there is something on the shelf. I can't read books twice.

JPB - That sounds familiar! Very Happy

well at least you learned SOMETHING.....except how to spell hoarder....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:14 pm
i do toss things out on a daily basis but also do a periodic clean-up .
the problem is : i still have too much stuff !!!
i started collecting stamps , postcards and envelopes/letters as a teenager . so i have boxes and boxes of the stuff . every so often i dig up some of the stuff and do enjoy the time i spent with "it" .
but i also know i should really sell/auction it off , but then i think of the enjoyment i get from having all this stuff and i tell myself : "next year will be a good time to dispose of it ! " .
i really should go through it , keep the really good stuff and get rid of the rest - that is : most of it .

i wish i hadn't looked at the thread :wink: . i feel like i should do "something" about it .

already made a decision : i'll be looking at it right away in the new year :wink:
hbg

i feel SO MUCH BETTER !
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:16 pm
I'm a semi-tosser married to a saver.

Most of his "saved" items are relegated to the detached garage, where they fill the bed of his '53 GMC 5-window pickup. When that's full, stuff gets stored in the unfinished room over the garage. Then when that's full, we have a garage sale and donate whatever is left over to Goodwill. (Well, almost everything that's left over, but that's another bone of contention.)

The workroom in the basement is another story. There are boxes of "parts." Parts, more parts, and parts of parts. One of these days, I hope he builds something out of all those parts that will fly away.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:19 pm
I never toss anything out because it may be useful some day and save me from spending money on something that I have already.

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to find such items because Mrs. Intrepid is a tosser. What doesn't get tossed gets rearranged to the point where I have most anything anybody would want but do not have the time or inclination to search it out.

I have found uses for items years after I originally purchased them.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:21 pm
EVA'S WISH FULLFILLED !

http://www.flight.cz/cricri/english/index.jpg
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:39 pm
Eva wrote:
I'm a semi-tosser married to a saver. ....

Me, too, sistah.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 04:51 pm
Intrepid wrote:
I never toss anything out because it may be useful some day and save me from spending money on something that I have already.

Sometimes it is a bit difficult to find such items because Mrs. Intrepid is a tosser. What doesn't get tossed gets rearranged to the point where I have most anything anybody would want but do not have the time or inclination to search it out.

I have found uses for items years after I originally purchased them.

Wanna swap stuff intrepid?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
Anybody remember "The Life of Riley"? There was an episode where Riley was cleaning out his garage. His neighbor Gilles comes by, and soon the two of them are cleaning out their garages. Then Riley notices something in Gilles' garage that he could use, and vice versa.

By the end of the episode, Gilles and Riley have traded junk!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
the worst thing is :
you know you kept something but can't find it - particularly if you just told someone : "no need to buy that . i have what you need in the basement " .

even worse : mrs h overheard it and finds it immediately :wink: .
hbg
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:13 pm
Pack Rat!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:14 pm
Another embarrassing thing: Mr. P. is very good at finding new uses for old things. So something needs fixing, and he uses a piece of his "junk" for the repair. And then he will say,

"See. I told you that it was a good thing to keep..................(whatever)". Embarrassed
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:44 pm
Intrepid wrote:
...I have found uses for items years after I originally purchased them.

Ooh, this one really gets to me. Mr. Eva once bought a trolling motor at a going-out-of-business sale, insisting it was something he knew he would need "some day." I didn't care how good a deal it was. We didn't have a boat!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:22 pm
You guys are so funny (only read page 1 so far) - tosser-saver, saver-semi-tosser, etc... Smile

I saved some of my kids' things but gave them to them when they moved out Smile

I have very few photos (which are now all in a very small box and not inalbums) of our prehistoric years... most were fuzzy or faded and I deemed them worthless. I don't keep photos of today because hey, I know what we all look like!

I mainly keep photos of things that I will want to paint later...

Don't save cards or letters or bills or receipts or bank statements...or clothes or shoes...

I do go through my 'stuff' twice a year and toss what I don't want anymore.

And my house is not decorated with framed photos, little porcelain bits, etc... I do keep screws and bolts and whatnot because they always seem to be in demand. And I keep food longer than I should (bottles of things) Smile

So, I think I've correctly identified myself as a tosser-semi-tosser, if that helps.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:02 am
Yesterday, I just bought a book (a rather thick one) all about the MErlin ENgine in WWII aircraft. Its a real gearheads delight and all I wanted it for ws a few pages on the use of Merlins in P-38 Lightnings (my favorite warbird)
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:11 am
farmerman wrote:
Yesterday, I just bought a book (a rather thick one) all about the MErlin ENgine in WWII aircraft. Its a real gearheads delight and all I wanted it for ws a few pages on the use of Merlins in P-38 Lightnings (my favorite warbird)

You better keep it though FM. Never know when someone might be interested in the rest of that book
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:12 am
My wife is a hoarder saver. I'm starting to think the only way to address the issue is to toss her.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:44 am
I'm a semi-saver, but hoarders would say I'm an all out tosser.
(It's easier to toss when it's not your stuff!)

I'm in a relationship with a hoarder. I have had to do a bit of intervention with his saving, otherwise he may have been buried alive in his house.

I think we (okay, me) stay saner living in our separate houses. There are times, his "savings" are simply the stuff of my nightmares.

--- He has gotten better, simply because he's tired of not finding stuff.
I'm annoying, cause I can usually find whatever I'm looking for in my house, by looking in two places or less.

Sometimes it's not about the amount you hoard but the organization of the hoard. People don't know how much you have if it's neatly packed and tucked away...
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:08 am
A semi-tosser here. Married to the Original Pack Rat. And a sloppy one at that. It's a pretty volatile combination. And ALL his PILES of Stuff around the house - excellent fire-feeding materials.

Our guest bedroom (in our 2-b/r apt.) was designated the 'school' room. Where all his school stuff (read: junk) was to be stored. Worked for a while. Now there're large piles in the school room, and many, many, *sigh*, many medium, small, in-between piles all over the house.

I will admit to gleefully throwing out a few papers here and there w/o his knowledge. A self-indulgent 'so there' moment. Because I know He Will Never Miss Them.

Arrrrgh!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:23 am
When we moved two years ago the movers packed everything - often stuff we hadn't had a chance to go through. Much of it is still in boxes in the garage. I'd like to just toss them all, but nobody knows what treasure they might hold. It's a huge mess and a huge amount of work. We actually moved twice without ever unpacking the stuff.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:22 am
I hope no one here has a Collyer Mansion situation.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tosser or Saver?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 09:49:40