Traveling to Hong Kong. Any Recommendations?

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 02:04 pm
I'm in the process of finalizing my travel plans to attend the builders show in Hong Kong next week. Does anyone have any recommendations for any furniture manufacturers?

I'm renovating my house in the USVI, and thanks to previous posts on this forum, I have made contact with shipping companies, chinese interpreters and customs brokers. Looking forward to this new adventure.

Any input would be much appreciated, especially anyone with firsthand knowledge.

MK
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 6
No top replies

McTag

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 02:45 pm
Near the escalator to Mid-Levels I saw a shop which had great Nepalese furniture.
I liked it so much, but had no way of getting it home.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
I just hit the usual tourist spots when I visited Hongkong, so I am afraid I
cannot recommend a furniture manufacturer. Nice city though!
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:06 pm
Thanks McTag,

Is Nepalese furniture similar to Balinese? That is what I am trying to find. Beautiful hand carved furniture, possibly made out of mahogany. I already own several pieces and would like to add to my collection.

MK
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 03:25 pm
Hi Island Girl,

Plug in "The Home Place" Hilo, Hawaii and it will get you into their website.

The phone number is 808 935-5337.

These folks carry island type furniture which is made to spec for them, somewhere on the Asian Rim. But I'm sure they will have some answers for you.

I have furnished my rental units out of their store, and they are very helpful. Ask for Dave.

You from the Virgin Islands?

Aloha,

Seaglass
0 Replies

islandgirl

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:20 pm
Hi SeaGlass,

I googled "The Home Place" and was referred to several shops and telephone listings in Hawaii. Thanks for your input though.

I am originally from Iowa in the US. My love of travel and anything to do with the ocean attracted me to St. Thomas. I have traveled quite a bit, but thought that I would try a US Territory as a first experience in being a landowner in the Caribbean.

MK
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:19 am
islandgirl wrote:
Thanks McTag,

Is Nepalese furniture similar to Balinese? That is what I am trying to find. Beautiful hand carved furniture, possibly made out of mahogany. I already own several pieces and would like to add to my collection.

MK

No, it's less ornate, but I'm sure in Hong Kong you will be able to see a whole range of different handcrafted eastern furniture. Happy hunting.
0 Replies