The Handbag

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:06 pm
An amusing article courtesy of the webzine The Smart Set. I'd be interested to hear how you handbag-carriers may or may not relate to these observations.

The Handbag
Finding the right one can be as complicated as keeping track of what's inside.
By Paula Marantz Cohen
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,567 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:14 pm
I like fashion.

I follow fashion, after a fashion.

A really good pair of shoes makes me so happy.

Handbags I don't get.

I have a rather ugly but extremely useful Eddie Bauer backpacky thing (it has one strap that goes over crosswise so it's not really a backpack). That's what I use. I've had that for a bit more than a year, and before that I had a small black leather bag for about 9 years. Before that, more backpacks.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm
Shapeless--

I used to have a handbag that put Mrs. Swiss Family Robinson to shame: sewing kit, spot remover, jack knife, length of stout cord, length of wire, cough drops, notebook, pen, extra pen....

Then my family genetic curse woke up and I started spending a lot of time on crutches.

I can't carry a shoulder bag. Even petit bags make my back hurt.

I now have a kangaroo pouch (free for supporting the wilderness).

I carry:

Identification and bank cards.

Change purse.

Car keys.

Notebook and pen.

Tissues.

Wet wipes.

Container for pills.

I frequently carry a tote bag with a handicapped parking placard and the paperback--or magazines-- I'm currently reading.

Rationalization:

As I get older I am less dependent on material goods and my soul is flourishing.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:09 pm
Cords and wires? That's not something I'd think to carry around with me on a regular basis. I guess that's why I was never a Boy Scout... 8)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:33 pm
Shapeless--

I still keep bits of string and wire, but in the house.

The wire handles on Chinese takeout are useful for all manner of projects.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:26 pm
Crap. I carry very large purses sometimes. I own two: black l and brown leather. I have a really huge black and white tote that I use on the boat, and a dozen little "clutches" of various fabrics etc from patent to beads.

I LOVE 'em.

Gawd help me.

I've got purses I never used and probably never will.

It's a sickness.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:35 pm
I've some thrift shop treasures, oldies with satin linings and fancy clasps, planning to do an ebay thing, with no idea if they are worth more that a few dollars... so I am slow to do it, since I like them on the hall doorknob..

I've a giant tan leather thing, still love it, usually only carry when travelling.

a faux Fendi purse from the Salvation Army, amusing to me because of the Fendi bit, and useful since it's easy to see, with the stripes.

two sacky tacky type purses from Target, one I'm using now, sort of a dark red woven beaded thing. Nuovo hippie.

The simple brown leather purse I bought in Florence, a tad worn, I'd never ever ever toss it.

A few others. I'm over needing any new ones. Well, that.... took a while.

Still looking for the perfect wallet design. I hate all of them, even the very expensive ones don't put it all together the way I would.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:40 pm
i saw a woman carrying one of these like a purse recently: http://www.benettontalk.com/2007/02/ikea_against_plastic_bags_1.html

i was disgusted at the "need" of it also kind of impressed. it wasn't full, of course.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 06:44 pm
I found a picture of my winter handbag on eBay...except it's in a different color.

Brahmin handbag....

http://i11.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/bd/17/7fc8_1.JPG

Mine is black and brown, like this one....It's sides are brown croco, as well as the strap, the rest glossy black.

http://www.handbagswholesalelist.com/wholesalelist/brahmin_handbags/images/brahmin/bag3.jpg

I love this bag, and it loves me. I don't lay it on the floor and make sure I don't get pen or gunk on it. It only carries my wallet, cellphone, comb and any receipts I might gather during the day.

I've had it 3 years and will have it years more. The curve of the top of the bag fits perfectly along my hip.

Since my rolfing, I realized I can't wear shoulder bags... so right now my bag is at the shoemakers, getting an addition to the strap, so I can wear it across my chest.

I hate putting away when the Spring comes.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:58 am
What?

No one else wants to present their bags?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:17 am
Oh okay- you twisted my arm Chai...

I buy about one bag every ten or so years, usually when I have to go somewhere nice and I finally look critically at the one that I'm using and realize it's so beat up that I'm embarrassed to take it anyplace but the grocery store.
I keep a nice black one for dressy occasions- because when I dress up, I almost always wear black shoes. It's small because I don't tote alot of stuff along that I don't need.

I love the one I got this fall. It's a beautiful shade of olive green velour (one of my favorite colors) so it's very autumnal. It has brown leather straps with black accents- so I can use it with brown or black shoes. It's the perfect size. I can carry my wallet, a hairbrush, my camera and it has just the right amount of compartments for my other stuff- even a separate zipper compartment in which I can carry the dozens of pens and pencils and an extra calculator which I need to keep handy for my students.

I can even stuff a little spiral notebook in there- which is something I always like to have handy.

I was a little hesitant about the velour- thinking it would look ratty pretty quickly- but so far so good- it's held up really well.

It won't work for spring or summer however- the color and texture are wrong. But I certainly am enjoying it right now.

I paid $12.99 for it at Target.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 10:07 am
BigDice just gave me a black bag by George Gina & Lucy. All their bags have names - this one is Miss Perfect. Very fitting - it holds everything I will ever need - wallet, keys, phone, lipstick, tampons, dextrose in case my blood sugar goes down, Advil, calendar, chewing gum, scrunchy, my nice pashmina in case it gets cold. Perfect for every day. But too large to go out in the evening. Then I usually use a smaller black Mandarina Duck bag that I got a very good price at a Mandarina Duck outlet store.

And if it has to be really nice I have a sleek black leather bag by Strenesse - also a gift of BigDice. It's very classy so I hardly every use it Laughing
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
Chai, love your bag! Drooled a little bit.

Ok this is a vice of mine. I like bags. I've got several. I buy more than I need.

My mainstay is a rectangular maroon handbag with square outer pockets. I love it. It's the perfect size. It suits me. It works for most things.

I have a bag for papers and meetings, a bag for the beach and camping, a bag for when I wear dresses, a bag for music outings, a bag for when I spend time with the kids, a bag for the car, a bag ...oh, it gets excessive.
And luggage and backpacks too. Excessive.

And yet I still think the writer is a freak and off base. Laughing

I don't bring make up with me Shudder at the thought.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:46 pm
Backpack and a small bag but I'm hating the small bag as it doesn't have a shoulder strap. Someone will make some serious $$ selling adjustable straps to go with a handbag that doesn't have 'em.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:48 pm
Chai wrote:
What?

No one else wants to present their bags?

Well, um...err, no
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 10:35 pm
urs53 wrote:
Then I usually use a smaller black Mandarina Duck bag that I got a very good price at a Mandarina Duck outlet store.

urs, I got as a present a Mandarina Duck burgundy leather backpack. I had never heard of that brand before.

Hm, I guess I have quite a few handbags, they're mostly from one German
designer, as I like his designs. I also have 2 briefcases.
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:08 am
I bought a stylish black bag last month but I wasn't very sure about my choice, so I didn't wear it.. yesterday I sent it to a relative who found it beautiful.. I'll by another one today I think.. hope to find a bag which I can fall in love with ! lol
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:11 am
See, "wear it," that kind of gets at the main disconnect I think. I'd "wear" shoes but "use" a handbag (/backpack/purse).

I do see some really pretty ones and get that they're pretty, then I look at the price tag and have a heart attack. I keep an eye out in a general way for one that is both pretty and non-heart-attack-inducing, but it's not on the top of my list. (Ask me about the gorgeous shoes I just bought, though..!)
0 Replies

safinaz

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:35 am
sozobe wrote:
See, "wear it," that kind of gets at the main disconnect I think. I'd "wear" shoes but "use" a handbag (/backpack/purse).

okay ! Wink thx
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Handbag
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 04:37:23