Nobel Prize in Literature... from an Alternate Universe

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:11 am
Here's a humorous thought experiment, courtesy of Ted Gioia and Great Books Guide.com:

The Nobel Prize in Literature from an Alternative Universe
by Ted Gioia

"I had a hunch a woman writer living in England would win the Nobel Prize in Literature this year. But I still wasn't prepared for the thrill I experienced when I learned that J.K. Rowling had won the coveted prize. After all, who has done more for the cause of reading in recent decades? The last time a British woman had received this honor was back in 1966 when Dame Agatha Christie shared the award with Jorge Luis Borges. I expect Rowling's acceptance speech will rank among the most memorable. (Although it's hard to imagine anything topping that moment in 1997, when Dr. Hunter S. Thompson mounted the podium in Stockholm to share his surprising sentiments with the audience.) . . ."

No, this is not the real Nobel Prize in Literature, but the way the award might exist in an alternative universe -- a world in which such honors are exempt from pettiness, politics and tokenism. Imagine a Nobel Prize in which the contributions of Proust, Kafka, Nabokov and Joyce are not forgotten. Imagine a Nobel Prize in Literature in which genre writers have a chance. Imagine a Nobel Prize in Literature that doesn't bend over backward to exclude native born U.S. writers (only three honored during the last 52 years!). Ah, don't just imagine . . . read about it here.

For my part, I'm just happy the committee from the alternative universe honored Philip K. Dick three years before his passing.

[Follow the link for Gioia's year-by-year list of actual Nobel Prize winners in Literature, versus his proposed winners.]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 972 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:18 am
Gioia is a wee bit biased towards American writers, isn't he?
0 Replies