Questions I've always had about Superman

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:16 am
There are some things I always wanted to know about Superman.

For starters, I'd like to know, if he can breathe in the vaccuum of space, why does he wear a spacesuit?

Does he have a healing factor?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,475 • Replies: 53
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:43 am
as i understand it, he can't breathe in space, he has a metabolism that allows him to make effective use of the air in his lungs, therefore if he spends a long time in space he needs to get more air at times, hence a space suit or sometimes just some form of breathing apparatus

as for a healing factor, no, he's virtually invulnerable, his weakness is kryptonite and magic
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 05:12 am
I hope you don't mind my simple question, but I'm only in Superman 101.

I never understood why he was vulnerable to kryptonite when he was born on the planet Krypton. Wasn't kryptonite all around him during that brief time before he was sent off into space?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:57 am
It is only on Earth that Superman has any powers; in Krypton's atmosphere he would have been a normal person. It has something to do with Earth's yellow sun versus Krypton's red sun. Thus I had always assumed that kryptonite nullified Superman's powers because it's a relic from a planet where he wouldn't have any powers... bringing him into contact with kryptonite is like bringing him into contact with Krypton's atmoshere, or something like that.

But according to Superman's Wikipedia entry, I'm wrong. Apparently kryptonite nullifies Superman's powers because of the radiation it absorbed from the explosion that destroyed the planet.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:48 am
Reply to Chai
Chai wrote:
I hope you don't mind my simple question, but I'm only in Superman 101.

I never understood why he was vulnerable to kryptonite when he was born on the planet Krypton. Wasn't kryptonite all around him during that brief time before he was sent off into space?

Kryptionite was irradiated fragments of Krypton that remained after the planet exploded.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:23 am
djjd62 wrote:
as i understand it, he can't breathe in space, he has a metabolism that allows him to make effective use of the air in his lungs, therefore if he spends a long time in space he needs to get more air at times, hence a space suit or sometimes just some form of breathing apparatus

as for a healing factor, no, he's virtually invulnerable, his weakness is kryptonite and magic

Hi-someone told me:

In the Death and Life arc, they mentioned that he would have been alright after his battle with Doomsday if he'd just been shoved under a sun lamp, instead of buried, and that Cadmus Labs stealing his body probably saved his life. You could possibly hypothesize a healing factor from that.

Someone else also said he does have a healing factor-but it's functionality depends on how much yellow-sun radiation he absorbs.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:09 am
I wonder how much Lois enjoyed her Steely Man?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:30 am
cjhsa wrote:
I wonder how much Lois enjoyed her Steely Man?

Someone else at another forum said they wouldn't be able to procreate. Superman has "supersperm" and it would be too much for Lois to handle and would kill her. I hope that was a joke. Laughing
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:40 am
Could Superman even get it up for Lois? She's of a completely different species....
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:41 am
Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex

Larry Niven's take on Superman's reproductive challenges.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
DrewDad wrote:
Could Superman even get it up for Lois? She's of a completely different species....

Are Kryptonians and humans related?
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:08 am
What I want to know is, where does he get changed nowadays, seeing as the advent of the mobile phone is causing the closure of so many phone booths?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:08 am
How could they be? They're from differnt galaxies, aren't they?

Unless of course, the Kryps were the one who came over here and mated with apes.

But then, they wouldn't have sent baby superman out into space randomly. I think they would have aimed him at us, or some other inhabited planet they knew about.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:10 am
I think I saw him changing in a NYC subway station a few weeks ago. At least I hope it was him.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:10 am
Doowop wrote:
What I want to know is, where does he get changed nowadays, seeing as the advent of the mobile phone is causing the closure of so many phone booths?

I think maybe he uses Starbucks restrooms to change. There are as many of them around as their used to be phone booths.

Plus, he could relieve himself while he was in there, and pick up a muffin on the way out.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:14 am
Chai wrote:

Unless of course, the Kryps were the one who came over here and mated with apes.

But then, they wouldn't have sent baby superman out into space randomly. I think they would have aimed him at us, or some other inhabited planet they knew about.

They must be-if they're able to reproduce with each other.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
Chai wrote:
Plus, he could relieve himself while he was in there....

Ewwww....

Oh. You mean urination. Think on the difficulties he must have with elimination, as well. An unthinking moment at the urinal could cause city-wide plumbing problems. Passing gas could blow the windows out of a building. Let's all hope he never gets the flu.

Are his gut bugs Kryptonian as well?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:15 am
cjhsa wrote:
I think I saw him changing in a NYC subway station a few weeks ago. At least I hope it was him.

What was he doing in NYC? I thought he lived in Metropolis.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:16 am
DrewDad wrote:
Chai wrote:
Plus, he could relieve himself while he was in there....

Ewwww....

Oh. You mean urination. Think on the difficulties he must have with elimination, as well. An unthinking moment at the urinal could cause city-wide plumbing problems. Passing gas could blow the windows out of a building. Let's all hope he never gets the flu.

Are his gut bugs Kryptonian as well?

You should write stand-up. RTOFLOL. Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:24 am
JGoldman10 wrote:
Chai wrote:

They must be-if they're able to reproduce with each other.

nooo.....horses and donkeys are different species, and they reproduce. So can horses and zebras.

Usually thought the result is infertile...however, just recently, a mule or hiney did give birth, so that's not absolute.

Did superman ever have a child?
0 Replies