• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,430 • Replies: 46
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:35 pm
Hello New Haven

I'm not really a prolific mystery reader, but Picnic At Hanging Rock was definitely very mysterious & spooky. Are you familiar with it?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:38 pm
Sorry. I never have heard of it.

I belong to the Mystery Book Club ( Question ) and I tend to read whatever, it is that they're offering on sale. Most of the books are simple and entertaining for me to read.

Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:43 pm
Ah, New Haven, then you've missed out on a ripping good read! Maybe you haven't heard of it because it's Australian. It was made into a pretty engrossing film, too.

Enjoy your reading!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:47 pm
I've read several books by the Kellermans. Have you ever read their books?
Smile
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:50 pm
Yes, both Johnathan & Fay. Love them. I particularly like Johnathan, because he is a psychologist, and always gets his diagnoses correct. It always bugs me when writers call a mental illness by the wrong name!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 04:53 pm
I don't read much fiction anymore, but I used to read some. I loved the Dorothy Sayers books, they were among the most entertaining. I also liked the Georges Simenon's Inspector Maigret translations.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:47 pm
I loved the Dorothy Sayers mysteries, too. then there's the Colin Dexter and P.D. James, mysteries. I've read all I can find of Ruth Rendell, and for light but very good stuff there's Robert Parker. there's a fantastic Australian writer, can't think of his name, but his sleuth is an Aboriginal who solves incredibly complex mysteries that are almost impossible to figure out before the end of the book. I'll come back with the author on that one.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:51 pm
P.D. James is one of my favorites. I have read them all and must admint I am in love with inspector Daglisch. I have heard that Doroty Sayers was in love with Lord Peter Wimsey and that is why she never marrried him off.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:42 pm
Hi New Haven, I'm in Guilford.
In addition to the Kellerman books, I enjoyed the Brother Cadfael series.
Now I'm into Ngaio Marsh. These are even more delightful than Agatha Christie.
Dream, if you remember the name of the Australian author, be sure to mention it here. The books sound like the sort I would enjoy.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 11:19 pm
Hi again New Haven.....

I also enjoy Jonathan Kellerman ~ I have most of his books in paperback, although I'd love to have them in hardback. I was also hooked on Faye Kellerman after reading two of her books (within the series - or at least with the same characters).

At first, I found Jonathan's books very difficult to follow, but after the third one, I got into the swing of things. The phsychology is of great interest to me ~ second to the suspense!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 03:10 am
I like some of American writers ... for change.

But - I'm living here, know more about people and places here - European writers aren't' that bad at all (besides the famous British, I mean).

'Henning Mankell' is really my top favourite.

'Anne Holt' is another of my Swedish/Scandinavian favourites.

'Ian Ranking' is my actual top-British mystery writer. (before, it was 'Colin Dexter'.)

And then, there are a handful of German writers, who really write good stories - but obviously with too much local "connections", so that they aren't translated much.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:43 am
Uhhh, Lord Peter Wimsey and Harriet Vane get married! They even have a son.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:01 am
Lord Peter got married!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:06 am
Yep he did. I checked a website since memory falters. It was October 8th, 1935.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:42 pm
The Australian author is Arthur W. Upfield, and his sleuth is called Napolwon Bonaparte, "Bony" for short. His books are outstanding. Another favorite of mine is Cynthia Harrod-Eagles...has anybody read her stuff?
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:16 pm
I'm fond of Elmore Lenard's books.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:25 pm
The Others

Idea Question Arrow Rolling Eyes Razz Crying or Very sad Embarrassed :wink: Mad Laughing Cool Smile Confused Surprised Sad Shocked Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Exclamation
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:31 pm
They got married, eek. Did it last?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 08:32 pm
Thanks for the info Piffka.
0 Replies