Hidden data within an email-what is it?How can I find out?

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 07:40 pm
When I received a PowerPoint Presentation as an attachment, it declared a size of 120kb, yet the actual size of the email was a massive 830kb. I was confused and decided to save the PPS in My Documents where it confirmed it's true size as only being 120kb. Then I emailed it to myself as a further test, and it came back as still only 120kb. Now I'm worried sick about that unknown 700+ kb. What is it? Have I been sent secretly some form of spyware or even a dormant virus that will strike me down at any moment? What can I do now? Before I had figured out this strange discrepency I had already forwarded on this PPS to 5 other people. I'm getting very worried. Von.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 789 • Replies: 7
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 09:03 pm
What email client are you using?
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:57 pm
Outlook Express.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:16 pm
Try doing a file save as in the message and save it as text - see if that shows where the rest of it is.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 11:28 pm
I did as you suggested and nothing happened.. well... what I saved showed only 340 bytes. I need to send it to an expert who can disect it, but who?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:38 am
Where did you get the 830kb number from?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm
Did you receive the .pps as an attachment to a multiply attached email in which you have to open multiple emails to get to the original email with the attached file? That tends to increase the size of the actual email you receive.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:45 pm
Last night, while drifting in and out of sleep I think I figured out where or what that missing 700+ kbs went or what it was being used for...
My friend uses Incredimail Stationery and often includes music, but as I seldom have my speakers on, I am not aware that the email is 'musical'.
I realise now that even though the PPS attachment was only 120kb, and the whole email came to over 840kbs, I now have come to believe that the music in the email took up that missing 700+kb.
When I saved the PPS to My Documents, then reattached it to send it on to another person, it was in a 'clean' email with no other impediments such as music.
Always on a learning curve I am, and today is no exception. Embarrassed
I do appreciate every single response. This is one place I can expect excellent help and advice. V.
0 Replies