My year of "My year of....." books.

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 10:03 am
There are so many new "My Year Of (Whatever)" books out right now that I've decided to take a year to read them all and then write a book about my year of reading "My Year...." books.

Have you read any good "My Year...." books?

If you could take a year to do anything to write a book about, what would your topic be?

If you had to write a book about some topic from your actual real-life what would that be?

Thanks for playing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 951 • Replies: 14
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:14 pm
My year of pretending to be someone else.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 02:42 pm
My topic would be: "How to teach responsibility"
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 03:02 pm
Are you that imposter guy, FreeDuck?

Is that your fantasy topic or your reality topic?

Do you have any pointers for me CJane. Teaching responsiblity is a toughy.

I think my fantasy topic would be a year of visiting spas and being pampered.

If I had to write about the last year it would be "My year of WTFdom" because it seems like I've spent a good while wandering around walking into walls lately.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
Er,,,can you give me an example?

I do not, as yet, seem to have run into "year of" books.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:19 pm
The latest one's I've read about are someone writing about their year of living Biblically, and two about people eating only locally produced foods or foods that they grew themselves. Newsweek this week had an article about "my year of being a stay at home dad". Recently there was a book about someone taking a year to read the Encylopedia Brittanica. "Nickle and Dimed" was, I think, about a woman who worked minimum wage jobs for a year (but that book has been around a bit).

A few weeks ago I read an article about "My Year Of ....." books. I'll see if I can fine it......
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 05:27 pm
boomerang wrote:
The latest one's I've read about are someone writing about their year of living Biblically, and two about people eating only locally produced foods or foods that they grew themselves. Newsweek this week had an article about "my year of being a stay at home dad". Recently there was a book about someone taking a year to read the Encylopedia Brittanica. "Nickle and Dimed" was, I think, about a woman who worked minimum wage jobs for a year (but that book has been around a bit).

A few weeks ago I read an article about "My Year Of ....." books. I'll see if I can fine it......

Lol!!!

Be careful Boomer.......I have a bad feeling that way madness lies.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 06:35 pm
boomerang wrote:

It is tough, and it seems, we've been consumed by it. My book would
be a constant repetition. Sometimes I sound like a broken record,
and it still hasn't sunk in *sigh*
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:10 am
Here are a few excerpts from the article I mentioned and a link to the whole article:

Quote:
"The Year of Living Biblically," Jacobs's forthcoming chronicle of his yearlong quest to follow every mandate in the Bible, is just one of a recent flurry of "year of" books. Sara Bongiorni gave up buying Chinese products for "A Year Without 'Made in China'." Judith Levine gave up shopping altogether for "Not Buying It." Barbara Kingsolver fed her family with what they could grow or source locally for "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." Ellen Currey-Wilson banned TV from the house for "The Big Turnoff." And Colin Beavan swore off luxuries like toilet paper, disposable cups and air conditioning for his blog No Impact Man.

Quote:
The recent vogue for year-of memoirs can be traced to Peter Mayle's 1990 "A Year in Provence," in which he moved to France with his wife. Next came 2005's "Julie and Julia," followed in 2006 by Maria Dahvana Headley's year of saying yes to every man who asked her out for "The Year of Yes," and Norah Vincent's year-and-a-half of cross-dressing for "Self-Made Man."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20920378/site/newsweek/
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:30 am
"A year in the Provence" is such a delightful book. So are the following
books of his in the Provence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:03 am
CalamityJane wrote:
boomerang wrote:

It is tough, and it seems, we've been consumed by it. My book would
be a constant repetition. Sometimes I sound like a broken record,
and it still hasn't sunk in *sigh*

C.J.--

As I remember your daughter is reaching the age where I stopped repeating speeches to my kids and instead asked, "What am I going to say?" or "What did I say last time?"

Parenthood involves endurance as well as creativity and empathy.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
She turned 12 last month, Noddy.
Teaching her to take responsibility for her action seems very hard,
as she is always looking for an easy way out. I keep harping away,
and hoping it sink in one day. Actually, I know it will, it is just a long
winding road until we get there.

Creativity and empathy are a must with children, but endurance is something that doesn't come easy to me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 05:23 pm
12 already! Wow.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 06:33 pm
Yes, time passes all too quickly. Isn't sozlet going to be seven soon?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:51 am
Yep!
0 Replies