Paying our private caregiver

lacunar

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 09:15 am
We're about to hire a nurse's aide to help with the care of our dad. We've looked into some payroll options -- use an accountant, a pay service, or pay software. Looks like we're going to go with software because it'll probably be the more cost-effective.

If anyone has any experience with pay software for in-home help, do you have any recommendations on some products we should look into? Thanks for any input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 908 • Replies: 11
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:09 pm
No idea, but listening in the hopes you get an answer. We are about to hire an after school babysitter and are interested in the same advice.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 01:52 pm
It's possible that both situations may (or may not) meet the standards for independent contractor. If so, it's just hours X dollars, and send them a 1099 at the end of the year. Have them fill out a W-9 at the beginning. Some contractors have been known to get evasive after they've already been paid.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 06:25 pm
It can get complicated so, ask a tax person or you can read about it.
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p926/index.html
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:12 am
Yes. For whatever reason, when I tried to reply I kept getting a message that the post had been removed or transferred to a different forum, but didn't say which forum. Thanks.

Anyway, my response is to try a reputable agency. They should take care of a lot of the paperwork, both scheduling and financial, but in the end, your tax accountant should be involved.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:17 am
Why not work out a cash deal?
0 Replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
Not that this is what you were asking - but if your dad is a military veteran, you can apply to the Veterans Benefits Administration for aid and attendance. It would be a little extra money each month to help cover his costs.
0 Replies

lacunar

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:27 am
Thanks, everyone, for all the input. I'll look into all your suggestions.

But I did find ElderCarePay software online. It supports all 50 states, seems easy to use, and the cost is certainly reasonable. (For the poster who's about to hire a babysitter, I think they have NannyPay software, too.)

Thanks again for all the input!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:31 am
Miller wrote:
Why not work out a cash deal?

It's illegal (remember Nannygate?) and can jeopardize a homeowner's liability insurance.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
Paying cash isn't illegal.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
Quote:
Paying cash isn't illegal.

No, but not paying Social security, etc is. So whatever payment method you use, be sure to keep a good clear paper trail.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:51 am
That is what I was getting at. So, if that cash paying post meant "under the table"???? Not, a good idea. IRS has their ways........
0 Replies