Who is credited as inventing rap?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 29,871 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 03:56 am
Looks like it goes back to African days but for actual rap it's the '70s, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rap#Roots

These aren't mentioned in the Wikipedia article but artists like Fab Five Freddie, the Sugarhill Gang or Kurtis Blow, and songs like The Breaks or Rapper's Delight are some of the first.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:07 pm
The first rap-video ever made has been uploaded on youtube. Suffice it to say rap has come a long way...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xc27Ouwh1Xs&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 02:56 pm
Droll.

A lot of folks would credit those like Gil Scott-Heron or The Last Poets (who pre-date the Sugarhill Gang et al) with doing the first "spoken-word with a hip-hop background" kind of music.

Everybody knows the phrase "The Revolution Will Not be Televised", but few seem to realize it came from Gil Scott-Heron.

That was a ba-a-ad man.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 03:14 pm
Al Gore....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 09:46 pm
James Brown. Maybe Louis Jordan.
0 Replies

Fedalia

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:43 pm
You mean it wasn't Blondie's "Rapture"? Shocked
0 Replies

Kitten with a Whip

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:39 am
eoe wrote:

James Brown is credited with introducing funk.

No one invents a musical genre. Rap has been linked back to the chants that American slaves chanted while working the fields.

One could even credit Shakespeare as his influence on any poetic form in English is so profound.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:01 am
...one could.

One could rub nutella on one's naked body and run through Times Square doing a Gregorian chant, too. One could do a lot of things.
eoe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:02 am
Kitten with a Whip wrote:
eoe wrote:

James Brown is credited with introducing funk.

Alright Kitten, don't make me pull out MY whip. Smile

Amongst those who know, James Brown has for quite awhile now, been accredited with the beginnings of rap. Check out, for instance, "The Brother's Gotta Rapp", circa 1971 or "Say It Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud" recorded in the late 60's. He didn't sing those lyrics, he spoke them or, he "rapped", even referring to it as rap as in "let me rap to you". But Louis Jordan and his "jump" music from the forties and fifties featured alot of wild storytelling to a fierce background of boogywoogy. He was rapping all the way back then although it hadn't been labeled as rapping yet. Even Louis Armstrong 'rapped' on several of his recordings. Not scat but rap. So did Bing Crosby, when he swung with Satchmo.

Rap wasn't new when it took off in the 80's. It had simply evolved.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:03 am
I'm not sure why, but I'd like to see you do that snood Laughing
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 12:46 pm
Whoever invented this garbage should be put to death
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:06 pm
isn't that a tad extreme, lovejoy?
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 01:28 pm
lovejoy wrote:
Whoever invented this garbage should be put to death

Blah, blah, blah. Hip-hop haters on A2K are nothing new.

But ask them if they know MF Doom or any other legitimate rapper not played on the radio, and they're easily cornered. Because they don't really know what it is they're talking about, literally. They don't know what hip-hop is.

So the A2K hip-hop fan is left to quote a folk singer: "Don't criticize what you can't understand."
0 Replies

lovejoy

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 07:37 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
isn't that a tad extreme, lovejoy?

No I don't believe it is :wink:
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:35 am
how could lovejoy possibly wish harm on anyone?

it's a puzzlement...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:35 am
good point RP
0 Replies

hateisa-strongword

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 08:35 am
@snood,
i like your opinion. remind a little bit of mark...mark...god waht is his last name? well he plays on N.C.I.S as Gibbs. anyway I agree that Gil was the first rapper. Very Happy
0 Replies

THE BIG COUNTRY

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 01:52 pm
I have never heard so much rubbish about Americans invented rap.As a proud Jamaican we invented it in the 60s when Sound Systems used play in big venues and the guy who own the Sound System would ask someone from the dance floor to come on stage compose his own lyrics while the 45 single was playing and if he was good enough he would be called to next venue where two Sound Systems would fight it out to see had the best Toaster. U ROY, BIG YOUTH, I ROY turns out to be the masters of this genre.The Americans Hip- Hop called it rap, we called it toasting.If you want see how good U- Roy was go on You- Tube and check him out.You can have your Jay-Zee and the rest but to me U-ROY was GOD to us.
0 Replies