free credit report

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:47 am
Why is the free credit report only available once a year by law? Shouldn't the agencies be requires to provide real-time access to credit reports for free?

It'd be nice to have free daily credit reports or weekly credit reports if you wanted.

Anyone know of a way to get credit reports for free?

I'm curious.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 716 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:49 am
The only one I know of it "annualcreditreport.com". The one you hear advertised often on TV/Radio isn't really free.

I would think if you went to experian.com, transunion.com, and equifax.com, you'd find out which one they recommend.

The other option is to apply for a home or auto loan and then ask to see the report. You don't have to take the loan you know....
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:55 am
Quote:
Shouldn't the agencies be requires to provide real-time access to credit reports for free?

damn curious- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

Do you have any idea as to what it would cost the credit reporting agencies to have to respond to every customer who asked for information every time that they wanted it? These companies are not charities. They are in business to make money. If a person wants a free annual credit report, he is entitled to it by law. If he wants anything more, he will just have to open his wallet and pay for the information.

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

This site, which cjhsa mentioned, is the only one who will give you free credit reports from the three big reporting institutions. Any other site will tie the "free" report with some kind of paid deal.
0 Replies

damn curious

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:57 am
That makes sense, if they gave it away real-time they wouldn't be able to sell it to the loaners. Makes sense.

I am no longer curious.
0 Replies