really truly FREE anti spam PLEASE

mim1948

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 04:48 am
I've been trying to find a FREE anti spam program but have come a huge cropper.
The programs I've found online so far offer "free anti spam software downloads" but as soon as the download is completed, that is when I find I have to pay for it.
So I'm thinking..ok.. the 'download' was "free" but I have to pay for using it.
Has anyone any suggestions?
I did try "SPAM MATTERS" but couldn't figure out how to use it, even after downloading it, nothing worked. And it was supposed to be "Government sponsered". I'm no rocket scientist which is probably why it wouldn't work for me.
Thanks in anticipation of a nice and helpful response. mim.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,106 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:01 am
Don't give out your email address! My ISP provided email address stays very limited in circulation. I have hotmail and yahoo accounts for website registrations, so if they start to get spammed, I can shut them down and register for another.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:22 am
what type of email account are you using?
Dont put your email address... but.. is it yahoo? Aol? hotmail..?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:39 am
No such thing as quality free anti-spam.
Same with firewalls and for the most part virus checkers too.

If you don't want the crap you're going to have to get your wallet out.
Which is a major p*sser.

Sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:43 am
Quote:
If you don't want the crap you're going to have to get your wallet out.
Which is a major p*sser.

Heliotrope- Why is it a pisser? In this world, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Get over it!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:01 pm
Well it annoys the peons at the bank.
The guy with the tie on that makes me a cup of tea when I go there seems to think that me buying proper software will hurt their profit margins.
Actually I got a glass of sherry the last time I went to the bank. Very nice it was too.

But that aside...
Many people do not want to pay for decent software. They think it should all be free. Personally I don't mind paying even large sums for software that I am satisfied suits my purposes exactly.
I do demand lengthy trial periods however.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:03 pm
Plus I find it easy to relate to people.
So I come across with what I think their view of the situation will be.

They want free software so obviously they either can't pay for it or won't pay for it.
Either way, getting their wallet out is going to be a pisser for them.

If it had been someone who had posted wanting security software that was simply the best available, I'd be redirecting them to the same people I use who custom write security software to your precise requirements without regard to the cost.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm
The reason I was asking what host the email account is on, is because ISPs' like AOL allow you to set up your email account to ONLY accept email from certain domains.. yahoo, hotmail..etc

And using settings like that can diminish your spam in seconds.

Yahoo also has a way to block email addresses, but I believe that you can only block the actual address instead of the domain.

Meaning .. you could only block [email protected] Instead of blocking ALL email from yahblu.com

Hotmail... well.. hotmail just sucks and is thought of as spam on many ISPs as is, but it is free and easy to set up a new account.

I have to say that I have never heard of paying for an anti spam service?
how .. odd...
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:51 pm
'Shewolfnm' :"I have to say that I have never heard of paying for an anti spam service?
how .. odd..."
Please let me know where I can find a free anti spam program. I only use Outlook Express and I too would like to be able to stop massive amounts of spam. I'm sick to the back teeth of blocking each one as it comes in. I've tried the offered "free downloads" but they all lead to limited free offers, and afterwards, sometimes only 14 days, payments is required.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 12:33 am
If you are using pop/smtp there is a way to get a free anti-spam solution: run your email through gmail.

You can sign up for a gmail account, set your account to fetch your email from any pop-enabled account and then use the gmail pop settings to download your mail (after it filters out the spam).

Let me know if you need help doing so.
0 Replies

HellzReverend

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 10:33 am
Rediculous
Look.. here's what the real problem is that people have with paying for antispam/virus/adware programs.. it's simply because IT'S **** BULLSHIT you have to pay for programs to protect you against something that shouln't even be being done in the first place.. Think of an ISP as the Cops, and the anti spyware is a personal security gaurd. Why in HELL should you pay for a personal security gaurd if the cops you are ALREADY PAYING FOR should be doing it in the first place??? Ever think that most of the large antispam/virus companies out there CREATE spam and virii in order to make you pay for their antishit? It's called job security and if you're too **** ignorant to figure that one out then fine, go ahead and spend your money on bullshit.. while half of them infect you with **** on purpose just to make you think it's doing something and worth your money spent... wake up and smell the coffee... you're being conned...
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:52 am
Someone suggested I try "Spamfighter" and it really worked. I have to admit I was VERY skeptical at first, and have been waiting to test it out before blowing a trumpet. After a couple of weeks the good news is it is OK, touch wood.
And of course the free edition of AVG anti virus program is still going great, although it won't go onto the new Vista. That sucks.
And I agree about the creators of viruses. It's a bit like trying to solve a mystery... the first question the cops ask is.. "who benefits from the crime?" and in this case, the only people who benefit from viruses are the people who sell ANTI VIRUS programs. And they are very expensive to buy. It's all a huge con but we have to err on the side of caution and try not to tempt fate. I'm not prepared to take any risks.
0 Replies

HellzReverend

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 09:53 am
yup
yeah... tell me about it...
0 Replies