Why I'll Never Shop at Walmart.com Again

Aberro

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:02 pm
I don't consider myself a petty person. I'm usually a patient and, in my mind, forgiving individual. In this case, however, I have to say I'd probably be pretty irritated if I didn't find it so damn funny.

I ordered a futon bed from walmart.com on the 18th of August. Without notifying me, they cancel the order. Evidently, there was an issue with the credit card.

They could have handled it better, yes, but it was a small matter.

I ordered the bed a second time a week later. Again, there was an issue with the credit card. Finally, the matter was resolved and the bed was shipped out on the 28th.

I received an email with the usual boilerplate and reminding me it can take up to 48 hours for the tracking number to become available.

Three days later, I emailed customer service requesting a tracking number. I was sent a message reminding me of the 48 hours the shipping company had to update their records and to be patient. In the same email, I was given my tracking number and the name of the shipping company. I had never heard of Seko Worldwide. There's a reason for that.

According to seko.com, the bed was scheduled for delivery on the 7th (September, that is). This was, supposedly, the conservative estimate. I waited all day for them on the 7th, only for them not so show up. I called, was switched over to a guy in San Francisco who, in his own words, "...didn't know why they sent me to him." He couldn't help me but gave me the number of someone who could. They told me someone would call Monday. They did, and a shipping date of the 13th was set-up.

Six days late.

But the bed arrived. The box was in bad shape and the driver wanted it inspected before anything was signed. Not long after he left, Seko called wanting to set-up an appointment for a residential delivery. After some dialogue, it was figured out they were trying to deliver the bed they had just delivered. I explained the situation, she blamed the mistake on the "appointment girls", and that was that. It wasn't until later, when we were ready to move the thing into the bedroom, that we found we were missing parts.

I called the shipping company. They said they would call back the next day with more information, but suggested I contact Walmart. I did, and was told I should get a call in 3-5 business days.

Expecting two calls.

Seko called back a few days later, but not with "more information". Again, they were trying to schedule a residential delivery "weighing over one hundred pounds". After being sent to various departments, all of whom under the impression I had called them, I managed to explain the mistake. It was a reasonable assumption they'd take care of it, I thought. They would call, trying to schedule delivery for that bed several more times before I sat down, refusing to hang up the phone until someone entered it into the system as delivered.

A week later, I called Walmart. The customer service rep supposedly sent a memo to missing parts. I had to call back several more times for one reason or another (it's all sort of a blur). Eventually, they called saying that the parts would either be shipped that day or the next.

Good news.

Except, the next day, I received an email from walmart.com. To save myself the trouble of paraphrasing an already short message:

Quote:
We received your email. To ensure that we provide you with accurate information, we are researching the matter. We have requested the missing parts through email, and are waiting for a response from the
manufacturer. We will email you with the requested information as soon
as it becomes available to us. We appreciate your patience and apologize
for any inconvenience.

I hadn't sent an email, but that isn't the issue. I called Walmart, confused over what was left to research, only to find out that they were still trying to contact the manufacturer. I should get call in the next few days.

A few days later, I called back. I explained the situation to learn they had sent out several emails and had yet to get a response. I was ready to send the bed back and ask for a refund. She offered to schedule the bed to be picked up by UPS and have it replaced (granted, I was supposed to call after the pick-up and set that up myself).

She said I would get a call within the next 24 hours.

Today, a month after I originally ordered the bed, I got a phone call. It was UPS. They estimated an evening pick-up and warned me that I had to have it ready for shipping by the time they were there.

Not long after, I received another call, this time from another shipping company. They wanted to set-up an appointment for residential pick-up, to ensure I'd be around to help load it in the truck. I gave him a time, he said it wouldn't work, and told me he'd call back an hour ahead of the truck.

Somehow, it slipped my mind that UPS was already scheduled to pick the bed up. Maybe, somehow, I still had faith in something going smoothly.

UPS came before noon, with package in hand. It was a little thing, hardly heavy enough for "heavy-metal" bed legs.

I set the package down and led the UPS driver out to the garage. I showed him the bed, explaining to him why the carton was so damaged. He said he'd be back tomorrow, reminding me of the "three strike" rule.

I went inside, ready to call...someone, I'm not sure who I thought could possibly know what was going on at that point. I went back to the package, grabbed a sharp knife, and...well, you already know what was in that box.

The second shipping company called not long after. I cancelled the pick-up and took a minute to reflect on the trivial absurdity of the whole thing.

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going out to smell the roses.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,598 • Replies: 33
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:12 pm
Oh, you'll be back.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:14 pm
that's a great story, but there are a million good reasons to never shop at walmart, any one of which could have saved you the hassle.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:19 pm
Lesson #1 - If you order someting on-line you inspect the package while the delivery person is still there. If the package is trashed you refuse delivery. Problem solved.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:21 pm
God is punishing you because Walmart is evil.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:25 pm
Chai wrote:

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Dear God...please don't send Aberro to suffer eternally the firey flames of Hell. He/she may live in a far away land where word of the evilness of Walmart has not get reached it's shores. (I wouldn't blame you though for not letting him/her ever get his/her futon).

amen

Oh......

And can I have a pony?

amen
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:27 pm
fishin wrote:
Lesson #1 - If you order someting on-line you inspect the package while the delivery person is still there. If the package is trashed you refuse delivery. Problem solved.

The box was damaged, not the bed. I was surprised the thing actually showed up once.

Live and learn though.
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:30 pm
Chai wrote:
Chai wrote:

I'll keep you in my prayers.

Dear God...please don't send Aberro to suffer eternally the firey flames of Hell. He/she may live in a far away land where word of the evilness of Walmart has not get reached it's shores. (I wouldn't blame you though for not letting him/her ever get his/her futon).

amen

Oh......

And can I have a pony?

amen

Walmart stopped being evil when gas started getting so expensive.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:40 pm
Aberro wrote:

The box was damaged, not the bed. I was surprised the thing actually showed up once.

Live and learn though.

*nods* I hear ya! I detest going into stores so I do most of my shopping on-line. I can't tell you how many times I've accepted damaged boxes only to find parts were missing (especially with truck shipments).

But I've learned that if I accept delivery then *I* am stuck having to work to resolve the problems. If I refuse delivery than the place I bought the item from and the delivery company have to figure it out themselves and things get cleared up much, much faster.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:11 pm
I never shop at Walmart.com. I prefer to get my damaged and partial goods directly, in person, from the store.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:12 pm
As far as I am concerned, Walmart doesn't care about their employees so why the hell would they care about a customer. That is why I won't shop there EVER.
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 01:56 pm
TTH wrote:
As far as I am concerned, Walmart doesn't care about their employees so why the hell would they care about a customer. That is why I won't shop there EVER.

I don't see it as a moral dilemma. The less I spend on socks and underwear, the more I can give to charity.

Alright, I'm not a fan of Walmart either, but there really isn't much alternative around here for some things (except, maybe, KMart). I bought the bed from Walmart only because it was the best deal on the bed I'd wanted. If you have some personal experience to share, I'd love to hear it. It's entirely possible I missed the report on Walmart's grievous employee mistreatment.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 02:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I never shop at Walmart.com. I prefer to get my damaged and partial goods directly, in person, from the store.

<snicker>

That's really funny, cj!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:14 pm
Aberro wrote:
If you have some personal experience to share, I'd love to hear it. It's entirely possible I missed the report on Walmart's grievous employee mistreatment.

You're kidding right?

Wake Up Walmart

Shopping regularly at Walmart is short sighted and false economy.

It comes in, builds a horrid ugly big box where items are sold for 10 cents less. People who do not think of the community as a whole go there to save a dollar or two, which translates to enough business lost by local business owners to put them under.

This puts the owner, as well as the owners employees out of work....So they end up having to go to Walmart to get a job...earning less per hour, getting less benefits, and having to work in an impersonal environment rather than a smaller business.

At the small business, employees felt they made a difference, covering for others when needed, and owning their jobs. Now, they are merely employee number 15793.

So, these people are all making less, forcing them to shop and Walmart, because now they really HAVE to save that 50 cents.

I mentioned I shopped at Walmart the other week, because they had a product that no one else carried, that I needed...a one time purchase. While I was there, I'm embarrassed to say I saw these tank tops on sale, and bought I think 3. So, I said a couple of bucks, and continued the cycle.

It might be a small incident, but I'm not proud of it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:18 pm
When Walmart moved into my community in California the prices at Target across the street dropped overnight. And not by a small amount either. Like $1 or more on stuff you use every day.

Walmart also has a decent sporting goods section, though they've dumped their guns at many stores - no big deal - cheap guns suck anyway.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:33 pm
cjhsa wrote:
When Walmart moved into my community in California the prices at Target across the street dropped overnight. And not by a small amount either. Like $1 or more on stuff you use every day.

Walmart also has a decent sporting goods section, though they've dumped their guns at many stores - no big deal - cheap guns suck anyway.

Exactly, the prices at other stores drop....Like at Target....which can better swallow the cut than a small business owner.

The small business owner has to cut his prices to try to compete, but he'll never be able to offer the discounts of a volume buyer like Walmart does.

So, he can't compete, and, if his customers are ONLY interested in price, his business will go down the tubes.

Then, the customers, both the one's who jumped ship over a nickle, and the one's that knew things would go downhill when the small business closes...BOTH of them suffer from the poorer customer service, the anonymity...the getting their futons damaged with no one person claiming accountability.

Shop local when you can. A small business owner that recognizes you as a valued customer will more than make up for the short term savings.

here's an interesting paper....

Walmart and County Wide Poverty

It's a little old, but the points are all there.

Walmart doesn't help the poor, it hurts the community.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 03:47 pm
Walmart is evil.
My family has been fighting the building of a walmart in my old hometown for years now. And winning.
Don't forget the enviromental issues..

Ah, my question is...
If you are shopping on-line in the first place, why do we care that Walmart is the only thing in your area?

You can shop anywhere on-line. It's the beauty of the internet.

Welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 04:20 pm
Why buy cheap **** at walmart when you can shop cheap **** at Ikea.

Laughing
0 Replies

Aberro

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 05:19 pm
The fact is, like I said, I don't have that choice here. The little businesses were driven out a few years ago. Granted, there are specialty stores around here, but believe me when I say, unless I'm willing to drive forty-five minutes out of town, I'm basically stuck with Walmart.

The fact that I bought a from Walmart online, where I had plenty of alternatives, is a little out of character for me. I had done, what I thought, was a good deal of research and found a bed that I liked. I found the same bed at Walmart for less. I thought I was saving a few unncessary bucks.

Like I said, live and learn.

The point still stands that Walmart is big business and big business is a sad fact of life in America. Shopping at a "mom and pop" store isn't any more noble than buying from Walmart if you're buying products crafted by cheap labor.

But I do concede the point that Walmart is evil.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 06:20 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Why buy cheap **** at walmart when you can shop cheap **** at Ikea.

Laughing

oh yeah, listen to you "Ms. Sun Harvest is pure, Whole Foods is Evil" :wink:

At least Whole Foods has a lot of gays to teach you what to do with all that stuff.

Don't worry Aberro, shewolf's my friend.

Anyway, I'm not meaning this in a sarcastic way, but who forced out all the small business owners in your community?
0 Replies