How Weird Is This

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:12 am
I have 2 email accounts, both on major providers.

Both of them out of nowhere are telling me that there is a problem with their security certificates and I shouldn't try to access them.

Now these are major well established providers.

What are the chances there'd be a problem with both of them that would crop up at the same time?

What's up?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 892 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:13 am
This is what comes up
There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
Now I'm getting te same messge when I try to access my banks website. I know damn well an international bank is not having trouble with their security sertificate....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:39 am
It may not be all that unusual. There are a couple of possibilities. Your WWW browser stores your certificates so it could be a corrupted or expired file within your. Many companies also rely on 3rd party public certificate providers so while you are going to different places, if they are all using the same certificate verifcation provider then you'd have the same problem.

Are you using Internet Explorer?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 11:47 am
Doh! Just saw your "For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help." line in the earlier post.

Open IE.
Up on the toolbar go to "Tools" and "Internet Options".
A box will pop up. Select the "Content" tab up near the top of the box.
In the middle of that page click the "Clear SSL State" box.

Cick the "OK" boxes and let it clear your certificate cache and then close the options box and try getting in to one of the sites again.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:15 pm
not working....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:16 pm
I went on and opened my bank site anyway because I needed to check my balance and I can't conceive of there being a problem with my banks security certificate... then my daughter told me I shouldn't have done that because someone may be trying to hack my computer and I just put in my password and security info and now they could hack my account. Should I be worried about this?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:26 pm
It is possible that there is some sort of malware/virus problem but that wouldn't be the first thing I'd jump on.

Befoire you do anything else, please check your system date/time setting and make sure they are correct. (If your PC's date is off it may be set past the expiration date/time of the certificates! )

I'll see if I can find you any in-deoth troubleshooting info. Wink
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:41 pm
the time being displayed on my internet clock is way off. slow. It was about 55 minutes slow last night and I noticed but didn't think anything of it. Now I see it's almost 2 hours slow. where do I go to reset that?

PS I changed my bank account password just in case.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:47 pm
I figured it out... the time and date were set 2 hours slow for Jan 1 2005... I reset time and date for right now and that fixed everything.... thank you fishin' and tell me just so I'll know... what's the connection between those things and why did it only effect a couple of sites?

Thanks again... now I'm going to reset my pasword back.. Embarrassed
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the time being displayed on my internet clock is way off. slow. It was about 55 minutes slow last night and I noticed but didn't think anything of it. Now I see it's almost 2 hours slow. where do I go to reset that?

PS I changed my bank account password just in case.

Just double-click on the time displayed at the bottom right hand corner of your screen to change your date/time.

That will probably fix your problem in the short term. You may need a new system battery if your clock keeps going off like that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2007 02:02 pm
Try an Interstate battery. Just make sure it is patched for DST....
0 Replies