Importing from china to US...the home work in the USA?

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 04:31 pm
hello I am a newbie here and to this business. I am not going to do it unless I have all the prior knowledge. I want to know that what home work I need to do here (in the US)before I start importing from china?
whom should i meet? people/companies??? what to do here first? how to know the customership first? what to do first? where to start?

please help me if you can... thanks a million in advance...
thnaks a lot forum
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,035 • Replies: 13
No top replies

markocao

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
hi!my name is marko and i m a local boy in china,i m a exporter and soho,maybe i can give

you some advice for doing business with chinese supplier,BTW,I m special in manufacturing

and exporting electrical home appliance.if you any inquiry,pls contact me feel...you can

reach me by e-mail:markocao(at)foxmail.com ;Msn: markocao(at)hotmail.com...
0 Replies

chineseexporter

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 02:08 am
Re: Importing from china to US...the home work in the USA?
guest99999 wrote:
hello I am a newbie here and to this business. I am not going to do it unless I have all the prior knowledge. I want to know that what home work I need to do here (in the US)before I start importing from china?
whom should i meet? people/companies??? what to do here first? how to know the customership first? what to do first? where to start?

thnaks a lot forum

My name is Aicy Chian, i am a girl from China who are doing foreign business, maybe i am not on the right line of the products you need, just want to discuss something related with how to import and export with you.

[email protected] [email protected]

Hope to hear from u
0 Replies

glasglow

Reply Sat 3 May, 2008 10:01 am
Re: Importing from china to US...the home work in the USA?
guest99999 wrote:

thnaks a lot forum

I don't know who you want to work with but the best thing for you to do is do a scam search for any company you are about to purchase from. The rest really depends on quantities. If you are shipping low quantities, a box here, a few things there, there isn't too much to worry about. Everything is still informal. If you get into larger quantities, air cargo, sea shipments, you will need a broker. Contact your local customs agent, look at freight forwarders, and contact a broker. Your local customs house is most likely at the airport if you are inland. If you are at a sea port that's great just look in the phone book. Broker and freight forwarder may the same or different, have a few on hand , get the freight forwarders shipping prices from the location of origin to your destination and you are all set. If you want to start getting into tariff calculations look at the U.S. government customs site. Read about the Harmonized Tariff Schedule and what it's used for.
0 Replies

that1dj

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 02:16 am
I too am interesting in importing from China and have some questions. I'm looking at importing sports jerseys for personal use. I am not going to re-sell these on ebay or anything.

Will I be subject to any import taxes or customs fees since I'm not importing large quantities, such as the "containers" that many of the others on this site have mentioned. At most, it may be 2 jerseys, enough to fit in a small, plastic-type package. No need for a large box.

Does anyone have any info on this?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 03:57 am
Yes, the situation you describe is typically subject to taxes. In the US they will typically be collected by the postal service (they'll hold the package till you pay the duty) or the courier service (in this case the delivery guy usually collects it from you). In the case you describe it would probably be a small (as low as 2%) flat fee.
0 Replies

that1dj

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 11:02 am
Thanks Robert for replying. Is it usually cash or could I pay by check? Just wondering. For example if the seller sends it through the post office, when I receive the mail, will they just ask for the money, or would they notify me by phone or something then have me bring the money?

I'm curious b/c this is my first time ordering from China and I don't want to import something for $20 then end up spending like 100 for it.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 26 May, 2008 10:14 pm
Call your local post office. I think you can pay by cheque and possibly by credit card over the phone.

Do note that the amounts you are talking about may qualify for an exemption. I believe you can receive gifts of up to $100 in value and can also claim a personal use exemption of $200.
0 Replies

waiau

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 02:33 pm
@guest99999,
You are asking some great questions. There are three key steps to starting you own import business. Do a little homework researching each step in the U.S.

1. Decide who is your target, the group of people that will buy your product.
2. Based on your target’s needs, determine the product that you wish to import.
3. Identify how you are going to get the goods into your country from China.

Sometimes step 2 can come before step 1. You were venturing in a tiny shop full of goods in your local Chinatown. You discovered this little cool widget that would be great for teens. You decided to explore importing this item from China and market it yourself.

More details can be found here:

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

Good Luck

Wai Yin
0 Replies

Fowa

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2010 09:41 am
@guest99999,
I'm fowa worked in a trading company and we provide agent service. We can help you sorting out everying incurred in the import process. I can explain the import process in China and offer more souring information for you.pls contact me email: [email protected]
0 Replies

monbasala

Reply Wed 27 Oct, 2010 10:49 am
Hope i can give you a hand!
My email is [email protected]
shanemiller

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2011 07:44 am
@monbasala,
You have to go through every minute detail and you can not neglect even a single fault...
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:34 am
hi
so what's make u busy? can tell us bout your business?
0 Replies

Romen esko

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2012 10:01 pm
@guest99999,
Hello Friends,

The more than 2.7 million jobs lost or displaced in all sectors include 662,100 jobs from 2008 to 2011 alone—even though imports from China and the rest of the world plunged in 2009. (Imports from China have since recovered and surpassed their peak of 2008.) The growing trade deficit with China has cost jobs in all 50 states and the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, as well as in each congressional district.
Among specific industries, the trade deficit in the computer and electronic products industry grew the most, and 1,064,800 jobs were displaced, 38.8 percent of the 2001–2011 total. As a result, many of the hardest-hit congressional districts were in California, Texas, Oregon, Massachusetts, Colorado, and Minnesota, where jobs in that industry are concentrated. Some districts in North Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama were also especially hard-hit by job displacement in a variety of manufacturing industries, including computers and electronic products, textiles and apparel, and furniture.
But the jobs impact of the China trade deficit is not restricted to job loss and displacement. Competition with low-wage workers from less-developed countries such as China has driven down wages for workers in U.S. manufacturing and reduced the wages and bargaining power of similar, non-college-educated workers throughout the economy. The affected population includes essentially all workers with less than a four-year college degree—roughly 70 percent of the workforce, or about 100 million workers (U.S. Census Bureau 2012b).

Thanks and Regards,
Romen Esko
0 Replies