LORD of the flies

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:30 pm
hey there could anyone please help me with this essay question Question id really appreciate it: the quiestion is:
Discuss two or three themes or issues dealt with in the novel you have studied and explain how the ending of the novel made you think about one of these themes.

thanks in advance;)

Ryan

could you maybe write your response/s to my email: [email protected] thanks !!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 743 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 12:37 pm
you want us to write what YOUR thought are? that is quite impossible.

Do your homework. Post it if you'd like for comments, suggestions, discussion, but I see absolutely no reason why people here should be writing the essay for you. That' just cheating.
0 Replies

ryansmith885

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:31 pm
no i wasn't asking for ne1 to do my essay i was just wondering if someone could maybe give me an idea of a theme that fits into this discription, i have some yet am not 100% sure about them. Thanks again.
Ryan
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:34 pm
feel free to post them. even if you're not 100% sure about them, somebody will likely give you feedback. i just think that the initiative has to come from you, then you can have a dialogue going.
0 Replies

ryansmith885

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:36 pm
well one of my ideas was the boys getting rescued beacuse the ship saw their smoke, so that has to do with the fact that if Ralph was not being chased by jack and his team, then they would not have set the island on fire, smoke would not have been made and the ship would have passed yet again. does this sound alright or just plain stupid?
please share me your ideas
Ryan
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 05:57 pm
When you are asked to consider the theme(s) of a book, you are being asked to discuss what the book is about. What is the Lord of the Flies really about? On the most obvious level the book is about a bunch of English school boys who have to deal with being marooned on an island, sort of a modern day Robinson Caruso. Most teachers and students however, see more subtle and perhaps more meaningful themes in the book. What did you see in the book, and how the ways those themes were played out? Could the book have ended as effectively if the boys were never rescued? Since they were rescued, we as readers might wonder how the experience of the island would play out in the lives of the survivors. What happened to them individually and collectively? Those future lives resulted from the issues and events that transpire throughout the book.

Now that should give you a good starting point. You need to be really focused on how you write this essay. It needs a clear and logical structure. Your sentences need to be clear and concise while conforming to the rules of good grammar. Keep your sentences short, averaging 14 words each. Use the Active Voice, and don't get carried away with adjectives. Without too much difficulty you should be able to write a thousand words on this topic without a bit of flab. We are interested in seeing your effort as it unfolds. Post drafts and sections of your essay for us oldsters to look over. BTW, when is the essay due?
0 Replies

ryansmith885

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 12:20 am
Hey thanks for the info, my essay doesn't have a set date but id like to get it done today Wink cya
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 14 Sep, 2007 11:20 am
Let me suggest that you aim for a better grade, and take writing this essay more seriously. There isn't much evidence in your earlier posts that you have much more than a Classic Comix familiarity with the book. You need to think about it and its deeper meanings before you put the first word on paper. I sincerely doubt that you will find writing this essay "easy", and you should anticipate many edits before even approaching something worthy of a "B" grade in school. Of course, if you can be content with a "D", then go for it.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:13 pm
LORD of the flies
Incidentally, I think that your essay will be more effective if you take care with such details as correct use of capitals, proper punctuation, and completely spelled words instead of Instant Messaging abbreviations.

Perhaps these details shouldn't get between your thoughts and your reader, but the cold fact is that they will. First impressions do make a difference, and if your presentation is neat and grammatically, etc. correct, your reader will be more open to your ideas, instead of having to waste time translating IM-speak into standard English.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 02:31 pm
Ryan, welcome to A2K. The Lord of the Flies is an allegory just as Moby Dick is an allegory. I would do the essay based on this factor and draw the parallels accordingly. That should give you an idea of where to start.
0 Replies