Hate Telemarketers? Look What the FTC is Proposing!

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 07:23 pm
Hate Telemarketers? Want to kill the guys who invariably disturb you at suppertime? There may be a light at the end of the tunnel. The FTC is proposing a national "Do not call" database. This means that if you are on the database, you will cease to receive most annoying telemarketing calls.

Link to FTC Proposal on National Telemarketing "Do Not Call" List

In the meantime, check the Direct Marketing Association Link near the bottom of the article. I have gotten my name off telemarketing and junk mail lists. It works!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,429 • Replies: 18
No top replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 08:12 pm
Phoenix, New York state already has a Do Not Call list and it really works (most of the time). We've been on it for about 6 or 8 months and the number of unsolicited calls has gone down tremendously. We still get a few, but I just angrily tell them I'm on NYS' list and if they call again I'll report them and I never hear from them again.

Only problem is that it doesn't cover businesses with which you have had a prior 'relationship' so the cable company and the local newspaper can still pest us to death!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 08:40 pm
There is that, Bandylu. The greatest number of the calls I get are from the carriers of credit cards I already have.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Thu 14 Nov, 2002 08:45 pm
My husband's response to the cable company is "Do you happen to have the number of the Dish Network?" Trouble is, the telemarketers don't get it. My guess is the credit card folks use the same telemarketers.

Apparently, ours also doesn't apply to politicians since we got a couple of calls from them this year. One was for my daughter and it was for the jerk who was running as a third party candidate for governor. I told them she was away in grad school and even if she were home there is no way on earth that she'd vote for him. Made me feel good anyway.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 04:18 pm
I hate telemarketers and I try to get off the phone as quickly as possible. I have asked repeat callers to put me on their Do Not Call list, and once a company kept right on calling me so I told them that I would file a complaint with the state if they continued to call me when I specifically asked them to stop. They have not called since.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 05:27 pm
I have also been on the New York "don't call" list almost from the inception of the program, and it does work excellently. The limitation, as previously mentioned, is that it does not apply to political calls, nor does it apply to non commercial solicitations.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 05:44 pm
A wonderful example of the government rushing in where they are not wanted or needed.

There IS a list, it works, and the addition of another one will just confuse and further harass the public.
0 Replies

bestpricegold

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:32 pm
WATCH IT!!
Ok u guys! I am a telemarketer, im 14 and i work @ my cuz's coin business. We are just doing our job, just like all of u. We dont mean 2 b pests but we need 2 make a living rite? And how else can a 14 year old girl talk on the phone @ work?? Lol
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 09:54 pm
Glad to hear you have a good job. I look forward to hanging up on you soon.

Actually, I did telemarketing for a little while a long time ago. They called me goldfinger, because when I dialed, I was as good as gold with those people. I would love it when people would actually engage me in some give and take and get mad. I would just keep being as big an a-hole as possible until they hung up. What a dick I was.

And now I hate my job. Maybe there is something to that Karma stuff after all.
0 Replies

krckpt

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:34 pm
misinterpretation and then ignorance
i'm not a telemarketer. i'm a debt collector! and because of the system the number doesnt pop up on the caller id. 75% of the times they think i'm trying to sell something. there have been a few times when i have told people that its about their delinquent account and they still react to it with "take us off your f****ing list". to which i say "sure why not !! check your credit report tomorrow and see you in court". i love it when that happens.
0 Replies

tin sword arthur

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 05:40 pm
Re: misinterpretation and then ignorance
krckpt wrote:
i'm not a telemarketer. i'm a debt collector! and because of the system the number doesnt pop up on the caller id. 75% of the times they think i'm trying to sell something. there have been a few times when i have told people that its about their delinquent account and they still react to it with "take us off your f****ing list". to which i say "sure why not !! check your credit report tomorrow and see you in court". i love it when that happens.

That's very cruel.
I like it. Twisted Evil

I have developed a foolproof way to not talk to telemarketers. It took me years of research, but I've finally come up with a solution that works for me: hang up on them. Don't speak beyond "Hello", don't even let them finish their first sentence. Hang up.
0 Replies

markofkane

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:20 am
But it's not bill collectors!!!
I despise people who ring my phone everyday. I am on the D0-not-call-list, but because of stupid exemptions, I still get bothered several times a day:

602-218-8502

602-476-1614

800=662-4548

800-293-0406

Among others. I've tried telling them to quit calling, but a lot of times I get dead air.

So, basically, I have to take the phone off the hook for peace. And why should I have to do that??I pay the bill every month, not for scumbags to use my service to make money.

The no call list should be for ALL calls, (that has to do with sales or charity, or business, unless a person gives them permission to call)
0 Replies

markofkane

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2007 09:24 am
Re: WATCH IT!!
bestpricegold wrote:
Ok u guys! I am a telemarketer, im 14 and i work @ my cuz's coin business. We are just doing our job, just like all of u. We dont mean 2 b pests but we need 2 make a living rite? And how else can a 14 year old girl talk on the phone @ work?? Lol

This is no more acceptable than Jehovah's witnesses coming to my door uninvited.

If I want to buy something, I'll call YOU!!! If you call me, you will get my ansering machine, because I screen all my calls.

Please, get off your rear and get a real job.

I will never do business with a telemarketer, or anyone that contacts me first.

If you shove something in my face, you will only annoy me.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:37 am
Re: WATCH IT!!
markofkane wrote:
I will never do business with a telemarketer, or anyone that contacts me first.

If you shove something in my face, you will only annoy me.

I have to agree. I am very distrustful of anyone who calls me (telemarketing). My first instinct is to believe it is a scam to get my personal information. I have no way to know even when it is a legitimate business so I can't take the risk of even confirming my address to anyone on the phone. The "your call may be recorded for accuracy" puts me off completely.

If I want to buy something, subscribe to something, give money to charity - I will initiate contact myself, never the other way around. In fact, it completely puts me off a product/charity if they call me.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 10:40 am
Re: misinterpretation and then ignorance
krckpt wrote:

Growl. Ruff ruff ruff ruff ruff ruff ruff. (snarl) Yap yap.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:28 am
in the UK we have TPS - telephone preference service and if you sign up to it then it's illegal to call you - it's brilliant. I only get a sales call once in a couple of months now and when I say that I'm on TPS they scram ... fast!

We also have the same scheme for mail and faxes. I hardly get any junk mail now Very Happy
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 11:48 am
A telemarketer calls the Ticomaya household:

Me (Tico): Hello?

TM (telemarketer): Yes, could I please speak with Mr. Maya?

Me: That's me.

TM: Good evening Mr. Maya, my name's _______ and I'm calling on behalf of the _____________, and I'd like to take a few minutes of your time to talk to you about ______________________.

Me: I'd love to talk to you about ____________________, but first, I'd like to talk to you for a few minutes about a new product I've been developing, which I think is wonderful, and I think you'll agree you cannot do without it, but even if you don't we can still talk about it later, but right now I'd like to discuss whether you have accepted Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and savior .... do you have a few minutes?
0 Replies

MaXx0192

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:37 pm
Telemarketers
I HATE THEM ALL! NOT ONLY ARE THEY RUDE AND PUSHEY, THEY NEVER STOP CALLING! SO, I BELIEVE THAT "TAKE ME OFF YOUR @*&^%$! LIST" IS TO BE EXPECTED WHEN UNKNOWN CALLS APPEARE!!! Evil or Very Mad Exclamation Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Captain Irrelevant

Reply Mon 25 Jun, 2007 05:50 pm
I always let the phone go to the answering machine

The message says 'Hi, I screen calls for telemarketers, if you really want to talk to me start speaking now and I'll pick up'

Telemarketers never talk, they just hang up. Screws up them machines that check numbers too.

I also know that people who rarely get telemarketing calls until they put their names on 'Do not call' list - then they start getting five a day.

I got really sick of Indian guys trying to sell me phones with unintelligible accents and ludicrous names like 'Bruce' and 'Barry'....
0 Replies