'Wrinkle in Time' author dies at 88

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:19 pm
Quote:
HARTFORD, Connecticut (AP) -- Author Madeleine L'Engle, whose novel "A Wrinkle in Time" has been enjoyed by generations of schoolchildren and adults since the 1960s, has died, her publicist said Friday. She was 88.

L'Engle died Thursday at a nursing home in Litchfield of natural causes, according to Jennifer Doerr, publicity manager for publisher Farrar, Straus and Giroux.

The Newbery Medal winner wrote more than 60 books, including fantasies, poetry and memoirs, often highlighting spiritual themes and her Christian faith.

Although L'Engle was often labeled a children's author, she disliked that classification. In a 1993 Associated Press interview, she said she did not write down to children.

"In my dreams, I never have an age," she said. "I never write for any age group in mind. When people do, they tend to be tolerant and condescending and they don't write as well as they can write.

"When you underestimate your audience, you're cutting yourself off from your best work."

link (showbiz?)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:22 pm
http://www.episcopal-life.org/images/ELO_89811_lengle_md.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:42 pm
Oh, man.

She's one of my all-time favorite authors.

Reading "A Wrinkle in Time" at age 8 or so...

Wow.

Thanks for letting us know.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:49 pm
Ah, I heard something about her on the radio, but didn't catch the details.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:49 pm
I have just finished reading one of the "Wrinkle in Time" series.....

I adored that book.

She will be remembered.
0 Replies

eyelet

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:49 pm
I loved her work. " A Wrinkle in Time" is one of my all time favorites as well. I think she was an amazing woman. How sad to see her go. I have got to get those books for my nephews.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 08:29 pm
Another giant vanishing into the mist.
0 Replies

Oleander

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2007 01:53 pm
Wrinkle in Time author dies at age 88
Quote:
Madeleine L'Engle herself : reflections on a writing life compiled by Carole F. Chase.

In "Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life," you'll find hundreds of this celebrated author's most insightful, illuminating, and transforming statements about writing, creativity, and truth.

I loved this book, which I read last year.

Oleander
0 Replies