It's English... But I don't "Get It."

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:41 am
Do you ever read something someone posted, and even though it is in your native language, you don't understand it at all?

There are a couple of posters here that I do not "Get." I struggle to read Spendius, and then wonder why I bothered. Others respond as if they knew exactly what he was saying, and when I compare the two, I can't figure out how they got to the answer they gave.

Same thing applies to people in real life sometimes, such as over dinner with Stuh and Thomas. When they started talking about some theory I originally thought, this is great, maybe I'll learn something. Then my eyes started glazing over. It was so foreign even though it was in English! (Otherwise, they were quite coherent. It was just the subject matter that was over my head.)

Of course, Bush is another example. I know it is English that I'm hearing, but what he says sometimes ... And, I look and there are people nodding along as if they understood perfectly.

Are there people here or in real life that you don't "get" when others seem to follow right along?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 964 • Replies: 27
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:43 am
I think I am more a giver than receiver in this regard.

Especially when with people who don't "get" my humour.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:46 am
I do get your humor, Deb, it's your English I sometimes don't get...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:49 am
Huh? Eh?

You mean like when I duct tape women's mouths shut who are in my trunk? I know they're screaming in English, but I don't get it.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:52 am
Yes, Slappy, a little more effort and you'll get it...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:53 am
Re: It's English... But I don't "Get It."
squinney wrote:
I struggle to read Spendius, and then wonder why I bothered.

Your problem is the Gibberish closely resembles English.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:54 am
Yeah, this goes both ways for me. Sometimes I struggle to get my point across and I know it sounds like gibberish. And sometimes someone tries to explain something and I just can't follow -- as if each word they speak stands alone without context or meaning. They might as well be reading the dictionary.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:54 am
However, this Gibberish is plainly understandable..
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:57 am
Uh, NO, that is NOT what I mean Slappy. Let her go NOW! (Wait, how did you get a woman in your trunk?)

Of course I expect Francis to get everything. He's all ear.

I get your humour, Bunny. I don't know if that is any relief to you, but I'm hoping it will help stave off any future provocations. Very Happy

Sometimes I think the posts are supposed to be complete thoughts, but somewhere in the translation from brain to fingertips a few words were deleted. Or, a thought occurs and the poster responds as if we are suppose to know what that thought was even though they never told us.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:07 am
I must admit that sometimes I don't understand what I just said.
And I'm really glad if I get that explained by someone else.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 07:21 am
I am much quicker, sharper and blacker in real life.

But...I had one of those experiences yesterday, when I was asking a question in regard to "our" protocol in a particular situation.

As far as I could tell the person was telling me do x in case of y except she was also telling me to do z in case of y. The two were mutually contradictory.

I could hear the words all right, they just made no sense.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:01 pm
I can think of some cases involving protocol where that could be quite disasterous.

I love when the person is saying stuff with such confidence. In person, their face and body indicate they know exactly what they are talking about. Sometimes that comes through online, as well.

Meanwhile, my face is saying "What the ...?"
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 12:17 pm
I've been noticing this (as a third party) a lot lately in one of my classes. It's a Gender and Communication class-- all about feminist ideas, sociology, philosophical theories, etc...so some of the concepts are kind of nebulous, and it seems like at least one time per class a student brings up a point, goes on about it at length, and the words just don't seem to make any sense. (not just to me, I mean the professor isn't getting them either.)

I understand how that happens-- if I try to express an idea that's at all complicated in a classroom setting, it always seems to come out a lot more muddled than it sounded in my head-- but I've been thinking about it lately from the professor's point of view... Imagine trying to figure out how to let someone know that they just flat aren't making sense to you, in front of a room full of spectators, without making them feel like complete idiots, and without letting the class get off topic! This teacher seems to have a whole set of responses to it, all carefully crafted to blame the misunderstanding on himself, get them to stop trying to explain it, and get the discussion back on track ...It's an art form! Laughing
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 01:32 pm
When I'm editing, I often encounter sentences, paragraphs, and more that are in English but are not comprehensible. Based on context, I try to figure out the intended meaning and rewrite. Then I ask the author if the rewrite is right.

After years of dealing with this problem, I've come to the conclusion that this vagueness is a result of fuzzy thinking or discomfort with the subject matter. First-time authors are notorious for vagueness. Gag. What the hell is this person talking about.

In conversation, I think this problem is also a result of fuzzy thinking. It also happens when the person speaking does not have strong language skills.

Sometimes it's just a matter of vernacular, regional differences in wording and nuance, or age differences in the use of language.

For the most part, I think that people who speak and are not readily understood have a problem with thinking, not speaking. People who understand what these people are talking about make inferences based on context or familiarity with the speaker.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

TheSundanceKid

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:11 am
Francis wrote:

Does that mean I'm not the only one who speaks gibberish? Very Happy
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:30 am
the crux of this matter involves inducing and reducing the agreed-upon irregularities in such a way as to abolish (or at least communicate as such) the theories put forth.

to do this would be a common mistake.

for all things -- meaningless or otherwise -- taken into account as gospel, unless of course one factors in the political and socio-economic implications.

everyone knows this to be undeniable...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:33 am
Region Philbis wrote:
the crux of this matter involves inducing and reducing the agreed-upon irregularities in such a way as to abolish (or at least communicate as such) the theories put forth.

to do this would be a common mistake.

for all things -- meaningless or otherwise -- taken into account as gospel, unless of course one factors in the political and socio-economic implications.

everyone knows this to be undeniable...

Huh?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:48 am
TheSundanceKid wrote:
Francis wrote:

Yes, as RP clearly demonstrates above..
0 Replies

TheSundanceKid

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:54 am
Francis wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:
Francis wrote:

Yes, as RP clearly demonstrates above..

Do you think we should start a support group? Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 8 Sep, 2007 04:56 am
TheSundanceKid wrote:
Do you think we should start a support group? Laughing

No, as we are the stronger and most influential group...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » It's English... But I don't "Get It."
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 03:23:33