Spider macro

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 01:19 pm
My first effort at doing some macro on an insect. I'm not all too happy with the result, but the spider wasn't cooperating. Laughing

I found that I had to use flash. I was about 3 inches away. Does anyone know if this is normal?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/IMG_1742.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 778 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:00 pm
Re: Spider macro
Reyn wrote:
My first effort at doing some macro on an insect. I'm not all too happy with the result, but the spider wasn't cooperating. Laughing

I found that I had to use flash. I was about 3 inches away. Does anyone know if this is normal?

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h246/Reyn2244/IMG_1742.jpg

Actually, flashing spiders sounds downright perverted to me.

But I'm just an 'umble Wabbit, what would I know?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 04:04 pm
How do you mean normal? Normal for what circumstances? 'Normal" can be hard to say without details as to what you're trying to accomplish with the pix. If this is the first time that you've ever shot a close-up of an insect, congrats! You've done great work!

However, if you want to frame it and blow it up, well...perhaps you've a little more homework to do.

INFO Needed:
For example, what's needed is shooting info like what the ISO sensitivity settings, ambient light available were, etc. Can I assume that you're shooting with a digi-cam?

Generally, to get a decent exposure showing subject details, I use diffused flash as a fill-flash or even a ring-flash (depending on how small the subject) and/or a reflector panel to balance out lighting on the shadow side.

Three inches can be a bit too close for some insects as they spook easily.
If you're using a 50 mm macro lens that is fixed focal length (non-zoom), either switch to longer macro 90 - 105 mm macro, or try picking up a 2x extension tube (lose 1 stop of light). This extension tube (no glass element) on a 50 mm macro is a cheaper option than macro zoom and with the usage of flash, you won't miss the loss of light.

To improve that shot, I would either sharpen the focus or use a faster shutter speed. It's hard to tell if the softness I see is from motion-blur or not-quiet-sharp focus. In the future if you want to reduce distracting elements, you might slip behind the subject a black or dark backdrop (sheet or blanket or even construction paper).

I hope this helps.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 05:03 pm
Thanks for the info ragman. I'll need to study up what you're talking about, as I'm a novice photog.

I guess I wasn't sure if flash was needed outside on a macro shot. I was in "auto" setting and the camera wouldn't let me take a shot unless I had the flash up.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2007 05:22 pm
Cool, , Reyn. You really did pretty good work. You're possibly attempting something just outside the capability of auto settings. Can you over-ride the auto features?

I would create a darker background so they web shows up better. That's the number one fix. Dark or black backdrop would show up all the rays of the web -- just behind the spider for contrast. In fact, if you can put a dark blanket or sheet over resting over the fence where the spider shows, that'll work well.

Why not shoot after sundown?! You can get the added benefit of knocking out the brightened appearance of the fence (or any background), rendering it far less distracting.

If you still have the manual for your particular digicam, go to the section where it explains about close-up or macro with flash. You might get some valuable tips there.

Auto setting often requires flash usage, which is a good idea anyhow for macro (due to motion blur); however, the flash on your camera is not exactly suited for this. As you may have had a darkish day, you needed a slightly different setting.

Also, put the camera on a tripod or brace your arms as still as you can. Try it with a flash and without..with diffused flash and without. See what works best.

OH, BTW..big hint: Spray the web with a fine mist. If you have a spray bottle, use it. It'll make the web look as though it were covered in dew and be far more visible. If you do it right, it won't disturb the spider. If he/she moves, they'll come back soon.

Experiment around a bit. You might even try bumping up the ISO setting from 100 to 200 or even 400, if currently all you have is the on-camera flash. This could rid the pix of that perceived blur or softness.

On a slightly different note:
FYI, in an outside pix such as with a people portrait, especially with the sun out, use of fill-flash is important in order to prevent those deep-shadowed eye sockets (racoon look).
0 Replies

ravik

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:31 am
Nice picture, but sharpens so bad... you need made it again...
I try to post my spider, made with Sony DSC f-828, with macro lense.

http://photosight.ucoz.ru/_ph/4/776134703.jpg
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:43 am
Very nice shot.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Spider macro
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 12:22:36