Lions and tigers and BEARS, Oh My!

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 05:25 am
Wow, that's so cool that you found his twin! Is that how the perfume bottle works on yours, too?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:16 am
My intuition says not to wrap him. Grandma had things in her cedar chest from "way back" that were just folded and placed, nothing wrapped. Plastic and certain other wraps would potentially be harmful. If anything, simple tissue paper.

To confirm, you may call a local doll shop or check for a doll doctor (they usually know about stuffed items, too) - We have one at the flea market.

Or, go to Ebay and post your question on the doll forum. All sorts of pro's there that know their business.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 07:55 am
Definitely don't wrap in plastic.

Use acid and lignin free tissue and silica gel sachets within an acid free archival box. these are available from conservation and archival storage product companies such as -
http://www.preservesmart.com/products.htm#AcidFreeTissue.

Heres some info
http://www.si.edu/MCI/english/learn_more/taking_care/acidfree.html

Ask at your local museum or historic society about storage.

Crush or ball the tissue to make a bed to lay the bear on, this will reduce the chance of flattening his fur. Then ball more tissue around the bear in his box. Place several silica gel sachets around inside the box but not in contact with the bear. Remember to check and or replace the gel at yearly intervals. One of the best things you can do is air him once or twice a year but handle only with gloves on as your skin will leave acid and oil deposits on his fur.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 11:37 am
Thanks, everybody! Dadpad, thanks for the links. I think I'll check with the local historical society about storage as well.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 11:32:55