Big Papi plays ball

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 04:19 pm
This thread is dedicated to Noddy.

She asked on another thread (where big papi is apparantly getting a butt load for selling his car) who he was.....I had no idea either.

turns out he's a baseball player. I know that because in the picture someone posted he was wearing a baseball uniform. I know what they look like.

In another thread, gargamel (he's such a sweetie) mentioned Miles Davis....I had no clue....looked him up, is a musician.

This just makes me wonder....

who don't you know when their names are mentioned, and when you find out, do you feel like asking "so what"?

like when john lennon wore a sanitary napkin on his head, and the waitress was upset. When he yelled "Don't you know who I am?!!!" she said "Yeah, you're some a$$hole with a kotex on his head."

I wish I'd been there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,614 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Chai

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 05:47 pm
so, everyone knows everyone?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:06 pm
Well the woman in your avatar looks like Patricia Highsmith - a favorite of mine.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 06:15 pm
Re: Big Papi plays ball
Chai wrote:
who don't you know when their names are mentioned, and when you find out, do you feel like asking "so what"?

I don't know most celebrities when their names are mentioned. I don't care enough when I hear one to spend the energy to find out who they are, so I guess I ask "so what"? in advance.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 08:02 pm
Chai--

I'm honored. I'm sure there will be new members muttering, "Who's Noddy?"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:27 pm
any brand names.

except a handfull like gucci, polo.. etc

But some of this other stuff?
PPbbthh.. first of all I wonder WHY people are wearing it in the first place.

Just because the brand name is known by some, doesnt make you look any less stupid in it.. Laughing

secondly.. ehh.. who is it anyway?
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:59 pm
When I first joined A2K, I posted a comment in a thread about something that was happening in the world. Someone (I will call him Mr X) responded by referring me to a speech by an American television commentator. (It had NOTHING to do with the subject matter.) Not being American or having access to American TV, I had no idea who the person was, and so, (working on the old saw that if you ask a question you are a fool for five minutes; don't ask and you are a fool forever), I asked Mr X to elucidate. Wow! Did I cop a serve about my ignorance and need to kick my shoes off, shut my mouth and get back in the kitchen where I belonged - not those words, but the meaning was clear.

I have long since forgiven him but I will never forget. :wink:
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:04 pm
Re: Big Papi plays ball
Chai wrote:
This thread is dedicated to Noddy.

You scared the living daylights outta me, girl!!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 06:46 am
You don't understand - Boston = baseball (Red Sox) and Red Sox = Big Papi.

Bostonians do not see beyond the Boston area, therefore everyone must know Big Papi.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 07:55 am
Linkat--

If this be heresy, make the most of it.

I've filed the information about Big Papi under "Man important to Linkat and her daughters--probably plays baseball".

I consider myself a reasonably well-read woman, but the older I get the more I'm aware of screaming, shrieking, deplorable gaps in my general knowledge.

Off I go in hot pursuit of another vagrant, elusive fact.

Tally-ho.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:25 am
Linkat wrote:

Bostonians do not see beyond the Boston area, therefore everyone must know Big Papi.

Linkat...my husband is a huge Red Sox fan...my three boys and I eat, drink and breathe Red Sox baseball in the summer. It's been a good year. I will say - I would not know a thing had I not been married to my husband. Have you seen Fever Pitch? Great movie...love that kind of passion!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:28 am
Laughing so true, especially about the "probably" part

There's a lot of names I hear, of people I'm supposed to know, which I don't retain for even a couple of hours, if that.

Most of these people get thrown into a catagory called "someone who's probably on TV or something"

The "something" clause leaves me a lot of latitude.

Related to people I'm supposed to know are "items or services" I'm supposed to be familiar with.

Good example for me is a cell phone. Once in a while I pick up my cell phone when I'm not at home, and push the little talk button, then push the first name that comes up in recent calls, which is Mr. Tea….then the phone rings and I talk to him for a minute.

Apparently I'm missing the entire point of this thing that has the word "phone" in its name. Actually, now they're not even called phones, but are named after pieces of fruit or bugs or something you shave your face with.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:29 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Linkat--

If this be heresy, make the most of it.

I've filed the information about Big Papi under "Man important to Linkat and her daughters--probably plays baseball".

I consider myself a reasonably well-read woman, but the older I get the more I'm aware of screaming, shrieking, deplorable gaps in my general knowledge.

Off I go in hot pursuit of another vagrant, elusive fact.

Tally-ho.

Of course you know I am joking - which I'm sure you are as well. Most (of course not all) Bostonians are baseball fanatics.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:31 am
mismi40 wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Linkat...my husband is a huge Red Sox fan...my three boys and I eat, drink and breathe Red Sox baseball in the summer. It's been a good year. I will say - I would not know a thing had I not been married to my husband. Have you seen Fever Pitch? Great movie...love that kind of passion!

Of course! What Sox fan would not see it! My husband was from the west coast - he is now an even bigger fan of the Red Sox than me.

My daughter has had a batting clinic with Big Papi. My screen saver is a picture of her with Big Papi.

Have you read the book by Steven King and some other guy about the World Series season? Awesome!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 08:51 am
My husband has...I have little time to read little else but "Oh Say Can You Say Dinosaur"! I could...but I have focus issues these days! Laughing

My boys would die just to have their picture taken with Big Papi - They have a poster in their room...they know more than me even...and only 7 and 4 years old! I am amazed at how thirsty they are for it all. And I do my best to keep up...otherwise - I am totally out of the loop! Grew up in Braves country - but once married was quickly won over to the Red Sox way of life! :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:41 pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Ortiz#Charity_and_Community_causes

plus he's a Packers fan, which should excite the Cheesehead contingent.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2007 04:47 pm
My family and I are also huge Red Sox fans. There aren't many of us in New England that aren't. Actually as I watch the away games I seem to hear more and more fans from across the country getting the "let's go Red Sox" chant going! And where there are Red Sox fans there are Big Papi fans Very Happy

We had our picture taken with Big Papi last year at Fenway. Just shaking his hand was sooooo cooool! He's one big guy!!!

Linkat, my son would be so jealous of your daughter having a batting clinic with Papi. What the hell....I'M jealous of your daughter... Laughing Laughing . What a great experience for her.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 04:14 pm
Stormwatch wrote:
Just shaking his hand was sooooo cooool!

i just hope he didn't spit in his hand before you shook it...
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 04:21 pm
Reading the Entertainment section of the Toronto Star the other day and they had a photo spread of the celebrities you might see in town during the Toronto International Film Festival. I think there were 18 photos; I recognized four. Apparently I don't get out much (can't even tell you the last film I saw).
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Sat 25 Aug, 2007 07:26 pm
Region Philbis wrote:
Stormwatch wrote:
Just shaking his hand was sooooo cooool!

i just hope he didn't spit in his hand before you shook it...

Laughing Laughing I thought of that too. I made sure he didn't have his batting gloves on before I shook it.

Good question though....would you or would you not shake Big Papi's gloved hand? Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Big Papi plays ball
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 04:36:08