The World Without Us

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:17 pm
The World Without Us - about what would happen to the world if humans disappeared.

http://www.worldwithoutus.com/about_book.html

The author, Alan Weisman, was on The Daily Show last night.

He said that within days, the NY subways would flood since there would be no humans to run the pumps that keep the water out. During the next 10 years or so the pillars and supports in the subways would be rusting and deteriorating and in about 20 years New York would cave in.

When asked if anything at all would miss us, his response was probably just head lice and the microbes that feed on our skin.

Creepy, but fascinating. I've got to read this book.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 2
No top replies

helmi15

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 12:14 am
hmmm....

A few years ago I read an article in a local newspaper about the day x, the fictional day when the human race abruptly dissapears. It was quite interesting to read. They made a forecast for how long traces of the human race would be seen on earth in the case of a sudden extinction.

But in fact it doesn't really matter.... We won't see it.... Smile

A novel based on this issue would be very interesting. Aliens visit Earth and find technology from a species that lived long ago......

Just daydreaming.... Smile
0 Replies

peterset

Reply Mon 10 Sep, 2007 08:09 pm
great book
I read this book before, really fantastic, I like it
0 Replies