Is now the time to buy houses?

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:58 am
Now is the time to "buy" right? in general i mean, im not sure about all this rich people financial stuff, and no i dont mean buy a house to flip it and make 100% profit, i mean buy a house for what its made for, to live in!

if i want to buy a house to use it, well as a house, is now the time to buy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,113 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:02 am
Wouldn't that all depend on where you live and what the housing market is like?

Now is definitely the time to buy stocks, here in Canada, at least!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:04 am
hold on a little while longer if youre credit is good... if it's borderline you may want to look right now.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:08 am
It can always be "the time to buy" if you know your area's market and find a good deal.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:25 am
Buy land, they aren't making any more.

Will Rogers
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:59 am
yeah, it would matter what market area im in i guess, i was thinking more boardly, like nationally.

I just have no idea what it means when they say the market is bad, i thought it meant prices for houses were going up at first, then i was like wait a second, noone is buying shouldnt they go down?

but agh, i wish houses were even cheaper. like 50 thousand would be nice.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 08:19 am
OGIONIK - I can only talk about my area, of which I am familiar. A number of years ago, the market started to get "hot". Proces of houses were appreciating almost monthly. Many people bought houses to "flip", figuring that they could turn a quick profit. Builders starting building like crazy.

There were many mortgage companies who offered sub-prime mortgages to people who would not normally qualify for mortgages. There was a frenzy going on. A couple of years ago, (right after I sold the place where my mom had lived, thank goodness), everything dropped dead. People were defaulting. There were a lot of never used homes on the market which could not sell. In my area, where the developer was constantly building new sections, he stopped, after starting a new section.

As a result, the prices of homes in my area are 20-25% cheaper than they were just a few years ago. One of the problems is that people who want to move to Florida can't, because they are unable to sell their homes up north.

There is a new, ultra luxury section that was started a few miles from me. I understand that they have sold only 17 houses, when they planned to build a few hundred.

In the last few months, I have seen a bit more action, although the home market is still depressed. I have a friend with a lovely home, who has had it on the market for well over a year. She had a few interested customers, but they were unable to sell their homes, so the deals fell through. I don't remember the figures, but apparently it is taking far more months to get rid of the existing home inventory than it was a few years ago.

Check this out:

http://www.realtor.com/?lnksrc=ts1

Then when you have zeroed in on an area, see if your county has a property appraiser's website. Mine does, and I can check to see what houses were selling for, over time, in a particular area. In that way, you can get an idea of the market.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
Also, typically this time of year not too many people are buying - they are focusing on vacations, so you may be able to talk some one down who is anxious to sell.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:06 pm
Actually, Linkat, my agent says that now is a good time, before school starts. Apparently there is a tiny window of time left. If we leave it too long, he recommends waiting out the fall-winter, though, and putting it on in the Spring. Who knows?!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 07:06 am
Mame wrote:
Actually, Linkat, my agent says that now is a good time, before school starts. Apparently there is a tiny window of time left. If we leave it too long, he recommends waiting out the fall-winter, though, and putting it on in the Spring. Who knows?!

I can see that - but I guess it depends on who your target audience may be. My neighbor put his place on the market during this summer - end of July through now and had barely anyone come to see it. It is in a highly sought after market and there are no others in our neighborhood for sale.

In the newspaper yesterday - they actually said that homes sales in MA are up again - who knows for sure?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:32 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
OGIONIK - I can only talk about my area, of which I am familiar. A number of years ago, the market started to get "hot". Proces of houses were appreciating almost monthly. Many people bought houses to "flip", figuring that they could turn a quick profit. Builders starting building like crazy.

There were many mortgage companies who offered sub-prime mortgages to people who would not normally qualify for mortgages. There was a frenzy going on. A couple of years ago, (right after I sold the place where my mom had lived, thank goodness), everything dropped dead. People were defaulting. There were a lot of never used homes on the market which could not sell. In my area, where the developer was constantly building new sections, he stopped, after starting a new section.

As a result, the prices of homes in my area are 20-25% cheaper than they were just a few years ago. One of the problems is that people who want to move to Florida can't, because they are unable to sell their homes up north.

There is a new, ultra luxury section that was started a few miles from me. I understand that they have sold only 17 houses, when they planned to build a few hundred.

In the last few months, I have seen a bit more action, although the home market is still depressed. I have a friend with a lovely home, who has had it on the market for well over a year. She had a few interested customers, but they were unable to sell their homes, so the deals fell through. I don't remember the figures, but apparently it is taking far more months to get rid of the existing home inventory than it was a few years ago.

Check this out:

http://www.realtor.com/?lnksrc=ts1

Then when you have zeroed in on an area, see if your county has a property appraiser's website. Mine does, and I can check to see what houses were selling for, over time, in a particular area. In that way, you can get an idea of the market.

Interesting. I just heard Greenspan last night on 60 Minutes, and he was saying that the housing market (along with the economy in general) is going to be heading down for a while longer. I'm seriously thinking that maybe the timing is just about right for me to sublet my apartment, move down there, buy something at a reasonable price, and then figure out if I really want to come back to NYC or not.

But the thing is, when these guys all talk about the real estate market going into a slump, it always seems like the houses at the lower end of the spectrum price-wise stay pretty much where they are, and the places that are way out of my price range come down to only a little bit out of my price range. It sucks.

Something to think about though.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:54 am
I read an article today claiming condos on Miami Beach have dropped to about half of what they were during the peak. And NYC has seen the biggest increase in rent prices, because more people are holding out on purchasing(or can't because subprime mortgages are pretty much gone).

I think you're right about the price range thing. I'm sure the homes/condos on the higher end have dropped a larger % than entry-level priced properties. Sure seems that way.
0 Replies