Memories

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2007 09:38 pm
well, sure, i know music is important. but i usually remember what exactly was said during the song (in my real life conversation), or which lamppost i was under during which part of the song, exactly in what composition people were sitting or standing. i can tell you what i had on the agenda that day pretty much exactly... i guess it's just a bit accentuated for me. or maybe it is normal, dunno.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 09:58 am
Sometimes new and exciting experience was nearly memorized by me. When I first went out with so and so, I had a memory "file" with the exact dates, where we went, what I wore, maybe what he wore, what we talked about, what the weather was like, and, god, if we had sex, I remembered nearly every second of it for quite a while.

Decades passed.... hmmm, what did I do in the eighties....
(kidding, but not entirely).

I'm pretty good at remembering people, and people's names, and parts of conversations. Not so good with sequential occurences with people - even with movies, I'll remember the director, often the writer, often the actors, often the visuals, and can have a damn hard time telling you what happened in the movie.

My files must have layers. Sometimes in reading a book or in a conversation, I'll have a specific memory triggered - a memory that if someone asked me about otherwise, I'd be unlikely to recall.

Lately, some memories that have been sure things for years have gotten more vaporous (or put in backfiles), since I haven't "reviewed" them for quite a while.

This fits, in that the way I tend to learn is by some repetition of concept or particulars, a kind of review system in itself.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
I know, or, heh, knew, thousands of plants by their latin and common names. I still associate a given plant with where I first learned about it.
For example, the Calodendrum capense was in a front yard on Motor Avenue in West Los Angeles..

Interestingly (to me), that is a tree name I always - over decades including right away - have to struggle a bit to remember, working from "it starts with a C....". Calliandra always come up first... Must be a glitch in that first memorizing.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 10:11 am
I have a 10 slot memory system....and when something new comes in - apparently something in one of those slots falls out.... Sad Can't remember squat anymore....I am like that commercial where the Husband comes home and the Mom is talking to him like he is 2 years old...Need adult conversation desperately...especially now that he travels so much...All I talk to all day is 7 year olds and below! I think it is why I haunt this place so much...
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:27 pm
I have this theory that we eventually die NOT because our body wears out, but because our brain is full and can't hold anything else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 01:33 pm
I used to work with a physician/researcher who refused to memorize telephone numbers: he wanted to save room...

I think I read something recently that somewhat corroborated your and his theory, Eva. Hmmm, where was that...
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:01 pm
I have a gift for remembering conversations - only wish the gift extended to whom I'd had the conversation with! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:04 pm
Did you have the poetry workshop yet? Have to remember what thread that was in....
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:10 pm
Thank you so much for asking. Yes, I ran it earlier today. It was a bit tricky with people of completely different levels but it must have gone okay as they've asked me to work regularly for them. I'm going to attempt to get an anthology of the members' work together too.

It's all been happening today as this evening I was asked to present a daily live radio programme for children in November. Never worked for kids before so I'll have to get prepared.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 04:24 pm
Hugs Tarah from afar... that's terrific.
0 Replies

happycat

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 06:49 pm
Eva wrote:
I have this theory that we eventually die NOT because our body wears out, but because our brain is full and can't hold anything else.

Laughing

http://ircamera.as.arizona.edu/NatSci102/images/extbrainfull.htm
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:08 pm
Good one!

(I am serious, though.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 07:10 pm
Eva, it's an interested theory. I shared it with my mother and she said she must be about ready to die then.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2007 11:00 pm
great signature, eva!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 01:06 pm
The LA Times has a series of articles on memory that started this last Sunday and ends today.

Here's the link to the first one (Sunday, Aug. 19) -
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-na-memoryfirst19aug19,0,5761826,full.story

here's today's article (Wed Aug 22) -
http://www.latimes.com/news/science/la-na-memoryfourth22aug22,0,1347800.story

You can find links to Monday's and Tuesday's articles on the article from today.

Should you wish to save the articles (they are each something like 7 pages long), be sure to save them in "single page" format...

I haven't read them yet myself, but at first glance they seem very appropriate for this thread.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:31 pm
thanks Osso!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:51 pm
Littlek, I remember everything. I'm not kidding, and I also know things that I shouldn't know. My sister calls it imaging, but I call it weird. Usually, it does have to do with music, but not always.

eidetic memory has always fascinated me, and I have searched everywhere to see if genetic memory is something other than instinct.

The only thing that I can't remember is learning how to read.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 02:56 pm
Maybe I should start calling you Lucky Letty!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:03 pm
UhOh! I know there's a song called Lucky Lindy, but I can't remember the melody or the lyrics, but I do know who it is about. Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:05 pm
Is it about you?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Memories
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 12:57:44