Sponsorship Contracts

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:23 am
So things have been going fairly well with fundraising/ getting sponsors* -- I'm going forward with one company now for a hefty amount. (Yay!) I realized that I don't know enough specifics about paperwork to secure a sponsorship. We are now at the email level -- this is what we can offer in return for your sponsorship. Looks good? Great!

Now scheduling a meeting with the rep, and while it sounds like she will bring her own paperwork, I want to get a better idea of what is expected/ what to look for to protect our own interests. (I.e. I don't want to just go ahead with what she has to say and then find out that there is some provision that hurts us.)

Thanks!

*I am in charge of raising ~$50,000 for a large cultural event occurring in May 2004. We have applied for 501(c)3 status and fully expect to get it, but it's still in process. This sponsor is confident enough that we will get it that she is willing to go ahead now -- once we get official 501(c)3 status, it will be retroactive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 10:40 am
I'm pretty hazy on this, but if the sponsorship involves some value such as advertising, as well as an outright charitible contribution, they are going to need the breakdown.

I say this with benefit performances in mind. The buyer of the ticket may deduct for taxes the value of the contribution, but not the entertainment value.

I'm not sure this is either clear or relevant, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 11:30 am
Hmmm... my first impulse in answering this question was to search Google and Amazon for "fundraising contracts". The Amazon search has yielded Fundraising for Dummies and Grant writing for Dummies. My next step would to be to order and read them both, and to scan them for advice about how to deal with paperwork and the small print that comes with it.

Trouble is, Soz, that you and I are probably quite similar in our ways of attacking this kind of problem -- so I'm probably suggesting that you do exactly what you've already done years ago anyway. Smile

-- Thomas
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 04:56 pm
Thanks, Thomas! Razz I was hoping to do an end-run around that. Did more Googling and came up with some sample contracts, like:

http://www.mwr.navy.mil/mwrprgms/cscntrc.rtf

Roger, I didn't quite understand your middle paragraph.

Here's what's up: My event will sell tickets, but that will probably cover only about half of the total cost of the event. So I'm seeking corporate sponsors to cover the other half. I have already sent a list to this company's rep with some of the perks that will come from her company's donation, such as having their logo on badges, a workshop slot, free registration for 2 people, etc. She liked the list, and is ready to go. I'm trying to figure out the next step. Was hoping for some been there, done that advice.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2003 05:53 pm
I think I've got it! If anyone has any further advice, though, have at it.
0 Replies