Today Is the 30th Anniversaqry Of Elvis's Death

cello

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:47 pm
The DVD I mentioned is based on a lot of interviews from his backup gospel singers and people who knew him and reveals a side of Elvis very different from what is usually seen of him. I was the first one to be surprised to say the least.

Even if Elvis did not know all the gospel songs that "existed" (I guess all those that he heard of or could buy the records of), he had a very comprehensive knowledge of them, just because it was his personal passion and not for his singing career. I don't think though that it really matters at this stage whether he knew them all or not.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 04:58 pm
Different quotes from people and articles about Elvis. Very interesting read.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 12:52 am
Thanks for the link, cello. This from Bob Dylan: "Elvis was the incendiary atomic musical firebrand loner who conquered the western world."
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 03:00 pm
Something that puzzles me is why Elvis has so much less popularity in the US than in the rest of the world? It seems to me that

Elvis = American music

He is probably the ultimate American symbol apart from Coca-Cola, Levi's jeans and MacDonald's. Laughing
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:15 pm
Who said he wasn't appreciated in the States? Just how many people braved 100+ degree weather the other day at Graceland? Anyone know? I think I read that the lines were so long, there was a five hour wait.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:26 pm
No, I did not say Elvis was not appreciated in the US, just that he is much less appreciated there than outside of the US. I think the biggest Elvis fan clubs are in Japan and in the UK, if I remember correctly. His records I think are selling more outside too.

About this issue, you can find it easily on the Internet if you read articles about Elvis. I just read one that was quite specific about that two days ago (but I did not keep the link). That's why I am asking the question.

About the crowd:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/17/ap4030476.html
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:35 pm
I just made a little search and I found this link, but like I said, if you search by yourself about Elvis' popularity for example, you may find others. It is not something new that I mentioned.

http://www.worldwideelvis.com/JAYGORDON_.SHTML

Since this is Elvis Week, let's post this video which I really like (from the DVD "Elvis - That's The Way It Is").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5CU6_FFWK8
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 09:56 pm
You've certainly done your homework cello.

His 1968 Comeback Special did it for me. I was about eight years old and geez louis, he was just beautiful.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:33 pm
Homework, oh, that's a very long time ago I don't do any any more. :wink:

But I am a Total Elvis Fan. Laughing

Actually, I find a lot of people like Elvis in the 68 Comeback with the leather suit. I much prefer him in That's The Way It is. It was the first DVD I bought, before I bought any movie. There was no doubt to me when I saw that DVD that Elvis was and still is the greatest performer.

I am a very big fan of Rod Stewart and Bruce Springsteen also. When I watch them, they look really great performers. But when I watch Elvis after, they just pale in comparison.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 08:02 am
eoe wrote:
You've certainly done your homework cello.

His 1968 Comeback Special did it for me. I was about eight years old and geez louis, he was just beautiful.

Wow. I miscalculated last night. That's why the image didn't fit in my head correctly when I wrote this.

In 1968 I was 12 going on 13. Not eight. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 10:03 am
I thought you were a little precocious. Laughing
0 Replies