What should I do about this Orkut?

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 08:40 am
My teen bro is checking the site five time everyday. It's only going to get worse. And I am sure this is disrupting his studying.

Can I restrict my computer's access to the site somehow? I have no idea at all.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,038 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Heliotrope

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:19 am
Is it affecting his results ?

That's all that matters.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:33 am
It is affecting mine. That matters.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:22 pm
Not for his future.

Don't let it affect your results.
Compose yourself and remain calm.
There is no reason for you to become concerned or involve yourself with someone else's behaviour.
Should you exhibit this in a working environment in a job then your boss would come down on you like a ton of bricks for wasting your and their time by allowing yourself to be distracted by trivia that is none of your concern.

No offence.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 12:30 pm
Spidergirl--

Is your brother using your computer without your permission? Is he insisting on computer time on your computer when you need it for school?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:04 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Spidergirl--

Is your brother using your computer without your permission? Is he insisting on computer time on your computer when you need it for school?

Yes.

Is there no way to block it?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 17 Aug, 2007 01:38 pm
Parental authority?

Sorry, I'm computer illiterate, but it seems to me if he's invading your privacy and appropriating your possessions that parental intervention might be helpful.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 04:35 am
You need to sort out the user permissions.
I'm assuming your PC just goes straight into Windows when you switch it on.

Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
Click on Change an Account.
Select your user.
Select Create A Password.
Enter your new password.
Make sure it's something you're going to remember but don't choose something that someone close to you is going to be able to guess.
Click the Create Password button.
Close the control panel etc...

Restart the PC.
Enter your password to log on.
When you leave the computer for any longer than a few seconds press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click the lock Computer button.
Or there's a shortcut to locking the machine.
Press the Windows key with the L key.
ie. Windows-L to lock the machine.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 05:49 am
spidergal wrote:

There are many ways to block it. The easiest is to do the following:

Open your HOSTS file with notepad and add a line redirecting the domain to your localhost IP. You did not indicate what operating system you are running so I will assume it's Windows XP or Vista. With those operating systems the HOSTS file is located at %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc (usually C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

To block a site add a line to that file with the domain name, a space, and 127.0.0.1 (your localhost IP address).

for example:

orkut.com 127.0.0.1

If you do this, it send the traffic to the orkut domain to your own computer and effectively blocks the site from being accessed.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:43 am
Heliotrope wrote:
You need to sort out the user permissions.
I'm assuming your PC just goes straight into Windows when you switch it on.

Go to Start - Control Panel - User Accounts.
Click on Change an Account.
Select your user.
Select Create A Password.
Enter your new password.
Make sure it's something you're going to remember but don't choose something that someone close to you is going to be able to guess.
Click the Create Password button.
Close the control panel etc...

Restart the PC.
Enter your password to log on.
When you leave the computer for any longer than a few seconds press CTRL-ALT-DELETE and click the lock Computer button.
Or there's a shortcut to locking the machine.
Press the Windows key with the L key.
ie. Windows-L to lock the machine.

Thanks. But I guess this just won't work. I am fine with him using my PC. Just that I have a problem with that site.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 10:44 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
spidergal wrote:

There are many ways to block it. The easiest is to do the following:

Open your HOSTS file with notepad and add a line redirecting the domain to your localhost IP. You did not indicate what operating system you are running so I will assume it's Windows XP or Vista. With those operating systems the HOSTS file is located at %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc (usually C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

To block a site add a line to that file with the domain name, a space, and 127.0.0.1 (your localhost IP address).

for example:

orkut.com 127.0.0.1

If you do this, it send the traffic to the orkut domain to your own computer and effectively blocks the site from being accessed.

Thanks, I will try this. But I fear he will try accessing it from Win 98 (that's there too). My broadband works from both.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:24 pm
spidergal wrote:

Thanks. But I guess this just won't work. I am fine with him using my PC. Just that I have a problem with that site.

So you don't mind him using the PC but not what he uses it for ?
I suggest you wind your neck in and keep your views to yourself.
Either that or tell him he's not welcome to use the computer anymore and that he'd best get himself one he can use as he wishes.

A computer is the same any item you own.
If someone borrows your car and treats it with disrespect then you don't lend it to them again do you ?
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 12:50 am
You are making an issue out of it unnecessarily. This is the computer forum.
I don't need a lesson in ethics.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 02:41 am
Spidergal,

This might give you some help. I'm a member of Orkut. If you want to PM me his account name on Orkut, I'll take a look at the profile he created to see if it mentions his age and report it if it says he's under 18. Better yet, you could do this if you also have an account on Orkut.

http://help.orkut.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=48664

Excerpt:

How can I prevent my children from using orkut?

We ask that all members of orkut be at least 18 years old. If we find a profile on orkut of a user that is under 18, it will be deleted permanently.
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2007 02:46 am
OK, thanks for that. That's what I am concerned about -- he is under eighteen, and not qualified to post there. But he doesn't listen to me!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 03:16 am
spidergal wrote:

Thanks, I will try this. But I fear he will try accessing it from Win 98 (that's there too). My broadband works from both.

It works on Win 98 too, but the file is in a different location. Here are the usual locations for various Windows operating systems:

Windows 95/98/Me c:\windows\hosts

Windows NT/2000/XP Pro c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Windows XP Home c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
0 Replies

spidergal

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 09:55 am
I tried opening the file using the Run function on my Win98 but nothing turned up. (Wait, an error message popped up -- check your file path, something like that)

I simply inserted c:\windows\hosts into Run and pressed Enter. Is that a wrong method?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 10:07 pm
Just browse to it and open it with notepad.
0 Replies