Pilgrim at tinker Creek is one of the most unstimulating...

gvapid

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2003 09:30 pm
I'm halfway done with this book and I am afraid that I've lost my faith in Pulitzer Prize winners. This book doesn't seem to get any better. The symbolism and philosopical insights are so tangled in a mass of larvae, praying mantises and trees with lights in them that I begin to loose intrest. A better book with more spiritual insight and philosophy is "The Brother's Karamazov". It's interesting to read but still mentally stimulating and satisfying. I'd rather not dig through a tangled mass of words to shed some light on the relationship between behaviors in nature, of man and of God.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,046 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 12:23 am
If you have read half the book, any book, and are this dis-satisfied then stop reading it for awhile. If sometime in the next months your mind reminds you were reading it, pick it up again. If not, use it as a doorstop.
Cool
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:28 am
Is that the Anne Dilliard book? If so, I'll have to agree with you. I read the book years ago and thought she rambled on a bit too much.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2003 04:58 am
Well, I hated 'Magnolia', the movie. What a piece of tangled crap. I feel the same about books. Sometimes a writer gets so wrapped up in being "symbolic" they forget that they are trying to tell a story to people who do not live in their heads. If you liked "Karamazov" gvapid, you will love "Crime and Punishment", if you haven't read it already.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2003 08:32 pm
I read Pilgrim years ago and don't know what I'd think of it now, but then I just loved it and looked for everything she'd written.
0 Replies