The Deathly Hallows

Shapeless

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 05:33 pm
Re: The Deathly Hallows
Tomkitten wrote:
Shapeless - The mark of the Hallows was over the title of the Three Brothers story in the fairy tale book, and of course Dumbledore knew that Hermione couldn't resist getting every last possible of meaning from a book, so he could be pretty sure that eventually she would spot it.

I can see the importance of the book in directing the trio toward the Hallows, but I can only half-heartedly see why the trio needed to be directed toward the Hallows in the first place. Several people have pointed out that the Hallows were crucial to Harry's personal growth and helped to clarify that his quest was to defeat Voldemort rather than to pursue new means of conquering death. This sounds reasonable to me, more or less, but I'm curious if there might be more than that. I wonder if Harry's quest might have been better served if he hadn't known about the Hallows at all, and if he'd just concentrated on hunting down the Horcruxes without distractions he was ultimately meant to ignore anyway. Suppose Dumbledore had left behind no mention of Hallows, and Harry never heard of them; would his chances of bringing down Voldemort have been diminished?
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:07 am
Tomkitten wrote:

And what a sneaky mind Rowling has - that whole Snape/Lily thing was a real surprise, rather complicated, but very logical. And now it's obvious why D kept saying "I trust Severus Snape".

I think she'd hinted at that before when showing snippets of Harry's father and friends at Hogwarts, I'd picked up on it then, though not realising it was quite so intense.

I wish she'd said they were aurors etc - it's what I thought they'd be but she didn't say and I think the ending was a little weaker because of it.

I think the clues were there for most things that happened - like the way D had said 'please Severus' before S killed him - I'd said that it was pre-arranged between them because he was dying but didn't understand beyond that - like the saving of Draco. It was something that could be taken 2 ways - please don't or please do.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 10:11 am
Shapeless wrote:
Tomkitten wrote:

I can see the importance of the book in directing the trio toward the Hallows, but I can only half-heartedly see why the trio needed to be directed toward the Hallows in the first place. Several people have pointed out that the Hallows were crucial to Harry's personal growth and helped to clarify that his quest was to defeat Voldemort rather than to pursue new means of conquering death. This sounds reasonable to me, more or less, but I'm curious if there might be more than that. I wonder if Harry's quest might have been better served if he hadn't known about the Hallows at all, and if he'd just concentrated on hunting down the Horcruxes without distractions he was ultimately meant to ignore anyway. Suppose Dumbledore had left behind no mention of Hallows, and Harry never heard of them; would his chances of bringing down Voldemort have been diminished?

remember they used all the Hallows - the cloak they had anyway but then understood more about it

the stone enable Harry to get past the Dementors (with help from his parents and Lupin) - he wouldn't have managed without it.

The wand mended his wand and knowing what it was, he knew he couldn't continue to use and it must be hidden again and die with him as noone would have taken it from him.

so they were all needed and as Noddy says, added to the complex political and moral issues to be resolved.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2007 11:30 am
I think that Rowling is deliberately sparing of detail in her Epilogue. Harry's adventures are one chapter in the long struggle between good and evil. His efforts have saved his world for the children.

After saving the world, his career choices are a bit insignificant.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2007 11:06 am
true
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:47 am
I must say, I was surprised at how dark the book was.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2007 10:53 am
Also, Dumbledore left quite a bit to chance by not making sure of all of the horcruxes. The diadem, in particular.

Horcruxes:

Harry
the snake
diadem
locket
cup
ring
diary

Is that right?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2007 11:16 am
NYT's book review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/books/review/Hitchens-t.html?_r=1&8bu&emc=bu&oref=slogin
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2007 05:49 pm
how did everybody feel about the deaths in book 7

i thought that tonks and lupin dying off screen was kind of lame, i might have expected a more honourable death

i thought dobby's death was the most heart breaking, and the best presented, the escape a success, everything fine, until, the knife
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 09:12 am
djjd62 wrote:

i thought that tonks and lupin dying off screen was kind of lame, i might have expected a more honourable death

Agree. I thought it was a bit gratuitous.

djjd62 wrote:

i thought dobby's death was the most heart breaking, and the best presented, the escape a success, everything fine, until, the knife

Agree. That whole portion, including Harry digging the grave and then saying bye to Dobby/grave before departing - all of it was very well done.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2007 10:06 am
Harry Potter and his friends are the central characters in the sage, but this doesn't mean that other characters--such as Tonks and Lupin--don't have separate lives and separate destinies.

Harry defeats He Who Must Not Be Named, but Harry is neither all-seeing nor all-powerful.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 04:14 am
djjd62 wrote:
how did everybody feel about the deaths in book 7
i thought dobby's death was the most heart breaking

Of all the deaths over the seven stories,Dobby's death was the only one that brought a tear to my eye.
0 Replies

dreagen

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 05:30 am
I finally finished it but my problem was I was so excited about it there were times I caught my self scanning the page in the "boring" parts. I was very impressed about all the action in the book.
I think the Epiloge gave us enough information. It either shouldn't have been there or it was perfect. I do not think What Harry and Ron did for a living was to important. I think all it was there for was to Show that since Harry's childhood was so horrible it turns out happy in the end. I think we all know that the Three Main Characters become important in the Wizarding world. I think She did need to throw in there the information about Neville at the end because everyone wants to make sure his life turns out ok.
The only problem I had with the Book was I always wanted Harry to get a Snake. I mean if you can talk to Snakes why not have one. But that leads me to the question... Harry was one of the Horcruxes and that is how he got some Characteristics of Voldamort... When the "Horcrux" part of Harry was destroyed did he lose those Characteristics? (Such as Parseltounge)
0 Replies

shrimpy1522

Reply Sat 1 Sep, 2007 07:02 am
Yeah, he cant speak parseltongue anymore. JKRowling said it in an interview.
0 Replies

ita

Reply Fri 7 Sep, 2007 06:51 am
i must say i found it all a bit disappointing. being a huge fan throughout the series, i felt that book 7 came as a sort of an anticlimax. most of the important parts of the mystery were already figured out by a lot of people - myself included (snape and lily, harry being a horcrux). ah well, i guess it had to have been that way, because, when there are so many avid fans and so much time for speculation, there's no way to come up with something completely unexpected and yet plausible.
as for deaths, didn't anyone else feel cheated? i was terrified about who was going to die in 7, i dreaded the possibility of harry's death but i thought that it was a likely ending. and then, i finish the book, and who dies? hedwig, moody, dobby and fred. and then you also hear that lupin and tonks died offscreen so to say. i mean as much as i love these characters, they're hardly essential. wouldn't you expect that in a war against someone as unscrupulous as voldemort more people would have died, and at least some of the crucial characters? i'm not sure how to explain this, it's not that i would have enjoyed anyone's death, BUT, from a literary standpoint, i really feel that this way the story lost a lot of its force and plausibility. she said in an interview that she wanted us to feel that "everyone is up for grabs". but, in retrospect, don't you think she cheated a bit?
after such powerfull deaths as those of sirius and especially dumbledore, i honestly couldn't feel much grief for the minor characters in 7. the only big death, i think, was snape's.
also, i would have preferred it if she had left out the epilogue. honestly, albus severus? could that have been any more corny?? Shocked

but, i don't wanna give the wrong impression. i really liked most of the book, though. and the part in bathilda bagshot's house was TERRIFYING, didn't you think?? i think it'll look wicked in the film!
0 Replies