$5.00

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 11:40 am
On another thread, about a kid being given 5 bucks, that "a kid couldn't have much fun with $5.00 anyway, right?"

I could have a LOT of fun for 5 bucks, how about you?

Let's see, from my house....

I could walk about 1 and a half miles down to the McDonalds, and get a $1 double meat cheese burger and a $1 soda or ice tea. I know it's not healthy, but hey, I'm burning it off with the walking....maybe a spicy chicken sandwich instead and I'll pick off half of the breading.

Then, I could walk another 1/2 mile to the Whole Foods, and get a $1.00 loaf of rustic bread. I'd then retrace my steps a quarter of a mile and go to the park. While walking there I'd pass a newspaper machine and buy a newspaper, and pick up one or two of the local free papers for good meaure.

I walk around until I found ducks and swans, and feed them the rustic bread. I'd watch the interactions between the dogs and the water fowl.

I'd spend the next couple of hours reading the papers in the park, and people watching. Probably end up have a few conversations with people.

Walking home, I'd stop and get another drink somewhere, from a gas station or convenience store.

What would you do with $5.00?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,226 • Replies: 27
No top replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:29 pm
chai wrote :

Quote:
I could walk about 1 and a half miles ...

what are you trying to do , make the kid lose weight ? - this sounds really cruel to me Shocked Laughing
at least you might offer to drive the kid to the burgerplace !
hbg
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
Sort of what chai said.

Grab my fishing pole and i would use 75 cents ride the bus to walmart and get some fresh bait ( 1.25 ) , then hop on another bus ( they are free for the day once you pay ) and go to the lake.
Stop by the gas station, get a drink and a paper, and go sit by the lake for hours doing nothing and probably catching nothing as well Wink

Catch the bus to Magnolia cafe and order their plan wheat bagel with cream cheese 2.20 , and then head home happy and full Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 12:46 pm
This is my kind of thread. I'm always coming up with new ways I can save money.

I can eat for a week on $5. Yes, it's true and I have proven this to people. The $5 pays for my meat, butter, couple of eggs, sugar, salt, pepper, oils and bread. I grow my own vegetables, can and freeze enough for at least a year. I pick enough blueberried for a year (free of charge), so I can take a few cents from that $5 to make a crust for my blueberry pie.

Or, if I just want to buy stuff I want, instead of need, I would go to the dollar store and buy 2 $1 items, stop at the thrift store on the way home to buy a nice shirt for $1.50, then I'd grab a small ice cream cone on the way home for $1. The $.50 left over will cover the tax.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:25 pm
What kind of bread for $1.00? Does rustic mean it was baked in 1934, or something?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 01:56 pm
no, Just a basic grain bread.
No frills, plain ole' bread baked in the bakery in the store so it is cheaper.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 02:02 pm
Re: $5.00
Chai wrote:
I could have a LOT of fun for 5 bucks, how about you?

Well, there was a time last year that my wife and I could go to a movie matinee for $5.00 each, but now that's up to $6. Mad
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 02:52 pm
roger wrote:
What kind of bread for $1.00? Does rustic mean it was baked in 1934, or something?

I picked Whole Foods because it's the nearest store to me....it's a little loaf of wheat bread that's crusty. Otherwise, I could buy el cheapo white bread for the ducks at a convenience store....but that would make the ducks and swans blow up.

So roger, what could you do for fun for $5?

$5 not good enough for ya huh?

oh Montana....what kind and how much meat can you get for $5?

What about bread and milk?

You can buy a couple of eggs?

Are you mostly vegetarian?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:06 pm
ok....

I could take the bus for $1 down to the Blanton Museum of Art On Thursdays admission is free.

Or if it's the first Friday of the months...the Blanton is open from 6 - 11 PM for a happening night of art, libations, and live music by Austin bands and performers! Tickets are available at the museum.
($5 members/$10 non-members).

Admission Fees

General admission plus Uncommon Commentary Acoustiguide Tour
Current UT ID Holder Free
Blanton Members Free
Adults $5
Senior (65+) $4
Youth (13 - 25) $3
Children 12 & under Free
Thursdays are free to the public. And museum members are always free

It's a nice walk from there to the main branch of the library, where you could take out some books, or a DVD to watch at home. Of course they also have books on tape and CD to borrow too.

For all that, I would pack a sandwich, apple and a liter of water...the 4 bucks after the bus would cover that.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:11 pm
A good crack whore will perform fellatio for five dollars.

That would be my investment.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
Pick up a DVD of a good film ($2.50 ... we get a $2.00 discount for returning the DVD within 24 hr.) Microwave popcorn is .50, and a large container of diet lemon/lime soda finishes of the purchases. We'd probably swing by the library to return books we've already read and pick up another bookbag full.

Back at the house, I'd spend the day reading (currently I'm interested in the Habsburg's Austria/Hungary from 1848 to 1918). If its a nice day, I'd probably read out by the pool between laps. Light dinner, possibly left overs from an earlier meal (we tend to cook more servings than we'll eat and then freeze the extra servings for later use). In the evening we tend to watch Jeapordy and then put on the DVD. Might mix the soft drink with whatever fruit we have on hand, pop the corn and enjoy the movie.

Actually, that's pretty much my day anyway. The popcorn and diet soda would be the bonus derived of having that extra $5.00. Living well doesn't have to be expensive.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:12 pm
I can buy beef liver for $ 1.50
a bunch of majoram for $0.40
a bunch of thyme $0.40
a fresh baguette for $2.20
1 onion $0.30
1 garlic $0.20

all together $ 5.00

I go home make some good patè and eat it with my baguette.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:17 pm
i just had a coffee, a small chicken salad sammich and a sesame square, all of it under $5

i sat in a park and wached two sparrows sharing the crumbs from the sammich that i offered up. ever watched sparrows closely for a long time? they are my favorite park entertainment.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 03:18 pm
Asherman wrote:
Living well doesn't have to be expensive.

That's very correct.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:50 pm
I would pickup the phone in the Ritz-Carlton Central Park and order room service to send up a bottle of Pere et Fils Champagne, probably a; Caroline De Chestillon, put it on the tab and tip the bellhop $5.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:55 pm
$5 = £2.50.

A meat and tatty pie with chips, a can of pop and a free bench overlooking the river.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:04 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
A good crack whore will perform fellatio for five dollars.

That would be my investment.

Or what he recommends. It depends if I was hungry or not. Very Happy
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:39 pm
Chai wrote:

oh Montana....what kind and how much meat can you get for $5?

What about bread and milk?

You can buy a couple of eggs?

Are you mostly vegetarian?

I actually don't eat much meat, eggs, or bread and I could live without them for a week. I drink powdered milk because it's cheaper, but since I can't buy a bag for under $5, I could live without that as well.

There are mark down price baskets at my grocery store for meat, cheese, bread, etc. Can get a loaf of day old bread for $1, some ham for $1.
The meat department at my store also started selling small packages of meat for around $1.
Pasta $1
And of course I can't forget my ice cream cone.

I'd steam all my veggies, so no need for butter and oil. Make myself lots of potato pancakes, which are my favorite, but I usually avoid because they stick to my bones. Got tons of herbs to give some flavour to some of my veggies.

If I really wanted too, I could do without the meat, bread and pasta and just get some flour, butter and eggs, which I could use to make various recipes.

There are so many ways I can stretch $5, Chai Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:56 pm
bought half a rabbit for less than $ 5 - enough meat for two days ,
but mrs h had to slave over the stove - to help things along , i picked some fresh herbs from the garden .
hbg

not to forget my other important contribution : i am the official sauce and gravy tester !!! Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 06:17 pm
You could download a heap of music to the ipod for a fiver.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » $5.00
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 05:15:52