Help! This is a sewing question....

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 10:19 am
I have almost zero spatial ability and when I sew things, I cannot believe the item will turn out the way it says... it does. For example, making pants - turn one leg inside out and put it in the other and sew the back to front - who'd figure it'd work, but it does.

Anyway, I'm having a problem figuring out how to make a reversible or lined eyeglass case. I have tried most every which-way to do this but nothing is working and I'm getting so frustrated.

How do you line up the fabric? Do you leave an opening somewhere to pull the whole shebang through, or what???

I am going to use one long piece for each of the outside and the inside (lining), fold them at the bottom, and sew up the sides, leaving the top undone, to be sewn last. At least, I presume that's the most logical way... what do you think?

Do I need to turn under the top sides first, then sew the sides? Do I leave an opening somewhere to pull the fabric through?

I'm taking my nephew to work, but I'll be back in a bit...

Thanks for any and all help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 444 • Replies: 3
No top replies

mac11

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Mame, I'm no seamstress, but what you describe makes sense to me. My only suggestion would be to make a mock-up with scrap fabric first to see how that goes.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
I'm not sure I really understand but it sounds like you're trying to make a little bag that reverses, right?

Here's how I'd do that:

Put the fabric face to face (the side you want facing out, facing in) and stitch up the sides, then trim the seams close cutting off extra fabric.

Invert the whole thing (this will hide your seams) so the right side of the fabric is now facing out.

Stitch across the middle - what will be the bottom of the bag (this will keep the fabric together when you reverse it).

On each end, fold down the open edges and topstitch closed.

Fold at the middle seam and topstich along the sides, as close to the edge as you can.

Leave the bag open at the top.

(I hope that makes sense.)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 27 Jul, 2007 01:34 pm
Thank you, guys.

Boomer, I'm going to try that. My sister had a suggestion but it didn't work. I'll let you know how your idea goes.

Thanks again.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help! This is a sewing question....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.31 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:38:00